Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The article released by Motorcycle.com states that "The latest iteration of Indian’s Ride Command system uses a new quad-core processor, with Indian claiming the fastest infotainment experience on the market. New features include traffic and weather overlays to help riders plan their routes. Indian also claims more intuitive search capabilities and improved customizable ride screens."

Now, obviously, upgrading the processor would require a new head unit. However, what are the odds that the new software features will be backwards compatible?

ETA- just went to the Ride Command website, and it shows separate updates for 2017-2019, and 2020+, so it looks like we are screwed out of increased functionality.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,755 Posts
You still don't get it. First you buy a Scout. Then you modify it into a cruiser. Then you trade up to a Springfield or Chieftain. Then you trade up to a RM. Then you add a FTR to the garage. After that you trade in for a new version at least every two years. These are the rules.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The article released by Motorcycle.com states that "The latest iteration of Indian’s Ride Command system uses a new quad-core processor, with Indian claiming the fastest infotainment experience on the market. New features include traffic and weather overlays to help riders plan their routes. Indian also claims more intuitive search capabilities and improved customizable ride screens."

Now, obviously, upgrading the processor would require a new head unit. However, what are the odds that the new software features will be backwards compatible?

ETA- just went to the Ride Command website, and it shows separate updates for 2017-2019, and 2020+, so it looks like we are screwed out of increased functionality.
That's why I waited. But the price went up a bill or two as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Beside, what's the fun in riding, when you don't get any surprises
you can tell those, who stayed at home. this is worht more than
a quad-core-unit. You have done it under those circumstances,
that's what traveling with a bike is all about ( from a guy with more
than 34 years in IT, still laughing about W95 and so on...)

·
Bronze member
2,712 Posts
well nothing about XM radio... that's gonna burst some bubbles... that would have been one of the reasons for me to trade up.. I'll just go back to waiting on the Challenger now...

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,079 Posts
well nothing about XM radio... that's gonna burst some bubbles... that would have been one of the reasons for me to trade up.. I'll just go back to waiting on the Challenger now...
Anything about Apple CarPlay or AndroidAuto ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,051 Posts

YEP absolutely, I tried to explain this to another poster here who was positive due to the dealers telling him about Indian's tesla model.....that we would get all the ride command 2 goodies......NOT!

·
Bronze member
3,051 Posts

The 2017-2019 Update is last years October update. NO new updates for existing ride command.

·
Bronze member
2,712 Posts
Anything about Apple CarPlay or AndroidAuto ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pretty sparse on the details but I don't think so... basically a different head a 4 something or other and faster... you can tell I'm not a techy guy.. so to me it's like[meh]

·
Rider
426 Posts
Maybe some people will pay 15 k for ride command update & 116 motor to upgrade to new bike from current Indian bike but most will not.
I don't believe they will ever offer Apple CarPlay or AndroidAuto.

·
Bronze member
3,051 Posts
maybe some people will pay 15 k for ride command update & 116 motor but most will not.

Correct. Some will but most won't. The 116 is a "stock engine' with stock cams and intake and exhaust. Where the 116 BBK kit is the full blown deal. A BBK 116 kit will smoke a factory 116.

Now Indian conveniently is offering stage 1 and 2 upgrades for the Stock 116

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 2017-2019 Update is last years October update. NO new updates for existing ride command.
None...yet...it is possible (although unlikely) that we could get the new features in a future update...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,051 Posts
None...yet...it is possible (although unlikely) that we could get the new features in a future update...

Not likely since the new software and features requires a quad core processor which 2019 and earlier don't have.

·
Bronze member
2,712 Posts
Maybe some people will pay 15 k for ride command update & 116 motor to upgrade to new bike from current Indian bike but most will not.
I don't believe they will ever offer Apple CarPlay or AndroidAuto.
some will... some were waiting on the 2020's to see what's up.. some are still going to wait on the Challenger... and some more still are going to wait to see if the Power Plus engine will make it's way into something without a fixed fairing (I'll bet a years pay it will)… but I just built a Roadmaster Darkhorse (red) with Stage II, passenger floorboards, and trunk arm rests for 32K that is about the same as a 2019 111 Roadmaster (non black)… remember that the Stage II factory 116 comes with bigger injectors also.. the heads were redesigned.. so in the end it will be interesting to see if there is much of a performance increase or not... or wait on the Power Plus and see what kind of magic can be done with it...

·
Bronze member
3,051 Posts
some will... some were waiting on the 2020's to see what's up.. some are still going to wait on the Challenger... and some more still are going to wait to see if the Power Plus engine will make it's way into something without a fixed fairing (I'll bet a years pay it will)… but I just built a Roadmaster Darkhorse (red) with Stage II, passenger floorboards, and trunk arm rests for 32K that is about the same as a 2019 111 Roadmaster (non black)… remember that the Stage II factory 116 comes with bigger injectors also.. the heads were redesigned.. so in the end it will be interesting to see if there is much of a performance increase or not... or wait on the Power Plus and see what kind of magic can be done with it...

The Stock 2020 don't have the high performance cams intake or exhaust. That is the new extra stage 1 and stage 2 upgrades for the 116

·
Rider
807 Posts
YEP absolutely, I tried to explain this to another poster here who was positive due to the dealers telling him about Indian's tesla model.....that we would get all the ride command 2 goodies......NOT!
Why dont you just call me by name? And if you had LISTENED TO ME AT ALL you would have heard that it was not ONLY the dealer that told me that. It was ALSO INDIAN CORPORATE when I called Indian directly. So I was lied to by everyone. Bad on me for believing what I was told by Indian. I wont make that mistake again!!!!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not likely since the new software and features requires a quad core processor which 2019 and earlier don't have.
There is a difference between "requiring" a faster processor, and merely "having" a quad core...remember, one of Indian's selling points for RC was that it booted up faster and was a larger screen than HD. So, the QC processor may just be another one-up, and not strictly neccessary for the software tweaks. Look at how much RC changed, and how many features have been added, in the last 2 years.

The other caveat is how the new RC receives traffic and weather data, which very well may have a hardware AND software requirement. IF it is just software, and IF the 17-19 RC processor can handle the increased features, then there is no reason for Indian to not make it available via download, EXCEPT unless they want to keep the features exclusive to the newer bikes to encourage current owners to buy new bikes.

·
Bronze member
3,051 Posts
Dont tell @Baron58 that! He will lose it on you! LOL!

I didn’t loose it on you. LOL Just pointed out that there was no way Indian was going to give older bikes new updates, they never have.

You were the one that decided to HATE Indian because some rep told you the RC was based on the Tesla model and you would get updates even into 2040. I told you if that was what the rep said he was BS you.

I had the same exact discussion a year ago from another member who was outraged they didn’t get Ride Modes or Cylinder deactivation and they decided to hate Indian as well.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts