Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed, hair line cracks in the chrome, of the valve covers? I first noticed it on the back valve cover, took it into the dealer today, and he noticed one on the front cover. I have 6100 miles on the bike. It is an early model. Other then that, this bike is awesome.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,268 Posts
As in metal fatigue or is it a casting flaw? If it's not leaking oil it's not all the way through the metal. I think something similar was spotted on some FTR1200 bikes a while ago and it turned out to be a casting flaw. Didn't harm the engine in any way.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,268 Posts
Then it might just be a plating defect. That means the casting might not be defective which is a good thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree, I'm sure this is the case. Just wanted to make sure other's have knowledge of this. Also, there has to be other bike's with this issue. Probably a production run of these..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To all, I made a mistake here, I even took it to the dealer. They too observed it. We both took our finger nails and scraped at " what appeared to be hair line cracks. After chrome polishing, it all came out.

long and dumb story short, NO Cracks .........Everything is fine....

·
Rider
1,190 Posts
To all, I made a mistake here, I even took it to the dealer. They too observed it. We both took our finger nails and scraped at " what appeared to be hair line cracks. After chrome polishing, it all came out.

long and dumb story short, NO Cracks .........Everything is fine....
👍🏻 Always glad to to have a good outcome 😊

1 - 7 of 7 Posts