Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waiting on the factory to send my local dealer the Scout Bobber of my choice(smoke black, because being original is for suckers). I have some Vance & Hines slip-ons on the way already. With just the slip on is it worth upgrading the air cleaner(what about just modding the stock cleaner as I've already seen a thread on)?

Now for my big issue(yay, another bobber suspension thread...), I have two things I absolutely must fix with this bike, and I know this because people on the internet told me so, and they wouldn't lie. I will mostly be riding solo but on weekends I'll be 2-up. Word on the street is the rear suspension is harsh solo, so I imagine it's quite horrific when you have cargo. Problem two is the lean angle("if you want more lean don't get the bobber" Yeah I know, but not happening). So if I could improve the ride and raise the rear some to give me a little more lean angle I'd be one happy dude... having a REALLY hard time figuring out what is compatible with the 2020 bobber AND would also achieve both of these things. Any suggestions?

Also what about moving the pegs? Not so worried about scraping pegs as I am hard parts but even so it's worth asking.

For reference I'm 5'7" and about 155-160lbs so I can squeeze into a pretty tight setup and shouldn't be stressing the suspension too much riding solo. Sorry for yet another suspension thread but I've read through quite a few threads on here, done some googling, and still haven't found a solid answer for my specific question as most people seem to want to avoid raising the bobber.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the V&H, Indian intake, and PV3 tuner and the sound and performance is amazing. Might as well go for the trifecta. You’ll probably want the quiet baffles for the V&H... and some ear plugs.

The rear suspension is a little harsh but does seems to break in after a while. Now that I’m ready to install my progressives it’s not as bad as it was originally. you can easily add an inch by ordering the aftermarket springs for the regular scout but it will change the ride height and dynamics as you mentioned. I love the low ride too much to change it.

At 5’7” you may want to leave the pegs where they are. Maybe someone else can chime in in options they’ve found. Have you had much time to ride a Bobber yet?

I also recommend the mini apes for comfort and a seat upgrade. The stock seat is as bad as most sport bikes. Lots of options there but I’m very pleased with my Corbin. The stock bars are also a bit sport bike-ish so you have to figure out if you enjoy putting pressure on your wrists a lot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oh yeah and don’t forget to use the referral program to get yourself $250 in free gear. You can get yourself another $500 by letting two people use your code once you get it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As money is a bit of an issue at the moment I MAY just toss the fox two rears on with the initial purchase for now. I'm not as concerned about solo as I am two up with the stock rears. If I could add some travel to the rears in the future that would be great but for now if I could roll a little improvement into the finance package I'd be happy. Not going to spring for the quiet baffles yet as one of the salesmen at the dealership is actually getting the same slip ons with the quiet baffles. After I hear a comparison I'll make the call. Unfortunately you can't tell much from youtube videos so I have no idea what to expect.

Gonna hold off on the bars also as I really liked the ride of my old SV650s so I'm thinking I may actually like the stock bars. Corbin seat is definitely on the list of future upgrades as well, I've heard nothing but great things about them.

Thanks for the info on the referral deal! We're already getting 500 as part of that "honoring heroes" deal so that would do nicely on top of the 'free' passenger seat we're getting.

edit: do you have to submit the referral code someone else gives you AFTER you purchase your bike or before?

·
Registered
148 Posts
You can submit before or after. Just has to be a purchase with program window and they seem to run this program every year.

I had the V&H with and without the quiet baffles. Without is a ear-bleeding roar that will make your neighbors hate you and remind them of the sensitivity of their car alarms. With baffles is just slightly quieter until the fiberglass really settles in and the tape wrap melts. Its still pretty damn loud now and any ride over 30 minutes I’m rocking foam ear plugs and I ride with a full face helmet. If you Do decide to order the baffles I have an extra set in the garage, new unused. Accidentally ordered two sets and I’m terrible about doing online returns.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll hit you up to work out a deal if I decide to go quieter(which it sounds likely). Just to clarify, as this was my understanding, but the stock VH slip ons ARE baffled out of the box, but there is a quieter option? At least I didn't think they came stock as a straight pipe...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks, I'll hit you up to work out a deal if I decide to go quieter(which it sounds likely). Just to clarify, as this was my understanding, but the stock VH slip ons ARE baffled out of the box, but there is a quieter option? At least I didn't think they came stock as a straight pipe...
They have minimal baffling but might as well be straight pipes. There are two versions of the quiet baffles. The old version is almost like a puck that goes into the tips. I had that on a Yamaha that had the two into one 4” V&H and it didn’t to a whole lot. That bike still wasn’t anywhere near as loud as my bobber. The newer version is a perforated tube wrapped in fiberglass that’s is more effective and what I have on the bobber. I’m still looking for a way to quiet them down at bit, at least at idle and low RPMs. There’s a dude in the vendor section that sells “quiet riot” baffles that I’d like to try but need to find a way to incorporate them into my current setup.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the V&H, Indian intake, and PV3 tuner and the sound and performance is amazing. Might as well go for the trifecta. You’ll probably want the quiet baffles for the V&H... and some ear plugs.

The rear suspension is a little harsh but does seems to break in after a while. Now that I’m ready to install my progressives it’s not as bad as it was originally. you can easily add an inch by ordering the aftermarket springs for the regular scout but it will change the ride height and dynamics as you mentioned. I love the low ride too much to change it.

At 5’7” you may want to leave the pegs where they are. Maybe someone else can chime in in options they’ve found. Have you had much time to ride a Bobber yet?

I also recommend the mini apes for comfort and a seat upgrade. The stock seat is as bad as most sport bikes. Lots of options there but I’m very pleased with my Corbin. The stock bars are also a bit sport bike-ish so you have to figure out if you enjoy putting pressure on your wrists a lot.
Ha, Ha, the shocks dont break in,..your back does!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just fitted these NITRON shocks from the UK, from what I understand way better quality shock than FOX, for the same $$ {at least here in NZ] but do your research. I was going to get OHLINS but was going to be more $$ and was told by suspension expert these are as good if not better in some respects. they are so easy to adjust with the Rebound and compression settings on one adjuster which turns with 2 fingers!
As far as lean angle goes, my Scout as far as I know has slightly higher/ forward footpegs than the bobber and Im scraping ALL the time,..ive been looking at modifying the pegs to get them about an inch higher. My HD breakout had pegs that have a dogleg in them so you can put them up and down by switching them side to side.
Shocks shown are NITRON R1 Classic. check out website Nitron.co.uk
P1080738.JPG
P1080737.JPG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it'll be here tomorrow. Went with the smoke white with black sides look. Since I'm already getting the V&H slash cut slip-ons I just threw some extra on the total and got the full stage 1 kit. Also have a passenger seat coming and the fox two shocks. Exhaust won't be here till Saturday, after I get that on I'll have to set a time up to take it back to get the rest of the add-ons, once that's all said and done I'll do a write up on how it does two up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts