Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hit 400 miles and I have a coolant leak from a small plate held in by an Allen head on the second cylinder, in between the key and the throttle body. Anyone heard of this? Tried googling it but didn’t find much. It’s going back to the dealership once the covid calms down a bit. I couldn’t really get any good photos of the spot it’s leaking from since it’s so tight in there.

In this photo you can see the leak, at the top of the photo is the hose that goes to cylinder 2. Right above that (next to it) is the small plate I’m talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, you too!? What year and model? I just posted as I noticed coolant on the bottom side of the airbox. I called and asked if they had to disconnect a coolant line when they installed the performance airbox. Mine is not that bad, hoping it's just residue. Keep us posted.

Jon

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, you too!? What year and model? I just posted as I noticed coolant on the bottom side of the airbox. I called and asked if they had to disconnect a coolant line when they installed the performance airbox. Mine is not that bad, hoping it's just residue. Keep us posted.

Jon
It’s. 2020 bobber with 400 miles. It will be going back to the dealership soon since it’s all under warranty but, I’m sort of disappointed. Mines not bad either and is 100% rideable; I’m more worried about how far it rideable till something really goes especially with it getting warmer out.

·
Bronze member
1,910 Posts
Any coolant leak is "TOO MUCH"!
These bikes run hot and a leak will reduce the boiling temp of the coolant and it will I'm fact cause the radiator fan to come on sooner and run longer.
I can't speak for your dealership, but there quite a few open during this lockdown as "vehicle repair" is deemed as an essential service.

·
Bronze member
1,457 Posts
First things first, read the owners manual to see how to check the coolant level ( using a flashlight to see the level on side of reservoir). If it is in fact low yes a trip to the dealer would be needed. However-The dealer has to top off to correct level, as bike comes shipped w/coolant but not full. If the coolant level looks correct or high it may have puked some out of level is/was too high, or the person prepping the bike could have spilled a little and it may have been sitting up higher on the cyl head or reservoir tank. I would rinse it off w/water. Go ride, let it sit w/a poster board or plastic sheet to see if it really is leaking. If dry now all is well . Of course you could just take it back to the dealer anyway.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I don't believe the reservoir is vented to atmosphere, so don't overfill it or it cause a leak. My 2015 Scout has a "cold fill" mark on the reservoir. Also, mine leaked at the the thermostat cover / housing and I replaced the cover. This part has gone through two iterations since 2015. Also, make sure the bleed screw up near the radiator cap is not leaking. Check tight that screw.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't believe the reservoir is vented to atmosphere, so don't overfill it or it cause a leak. My 2015 Scout has a "cold fill" mark on the reservoir. Also, mine leaked at the the thermostat cover / housing and I replaced the cover. This part has gone through two iterations since 2015. Also, make sure the bleed screw up near the radiator cap is not leaking. Check tight that screw.
Checked all that and it’s only coming from this Allen bolt, I’ll try to get a photo of it today. It is a reoccurring leak even when idling and it get to temp which leads me to believe is a gasket that’s not sealing properly under pressure.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you over fill,the excess coolant will just run out and then stay at the proper level.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to follow up with some closure,

I now have 700 miles on the bike and it haven’t seen a drop since this time. It used to be every time it hit operating temp and when I had the bike torn down for upgrades I went through and double check damn near every nut and bolt. For another 100 miles or so after that I kept doing it and I took it in for the 500 mile check up so that they have it logged on paper. They too checked everything and due to the 70 mile ride it was hot enough for it to burn off and not really show a trace.

Well, now over 700 it is gone completely. I haven’t seen any humidity, tracking or drops anywhere. I guess it was just a gasket sealing itself in. Seems odd but, hopefully it stays sealed now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts