Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just keep in mind that the stock 2020 bikes that come with the 116 engine is not the same as someone having the 116 BBK kit installed.

The Stock 2020 bikes with the 116 have the same stock intake and exhaust as the 111 bikes

Indian offers a Stage one kit for 111/116 which is the high performance air intake and exhaust

Indian offers a new Stage 2 kit for the Stock 116 which is high performance cams, high flow fuel injectors and 60 mm throttle body. ( the BBK kit on the 111 has the cams and throttle body but not the injectors)

So to make a stock 2020 116 the same as the 111 upgraded to a BBK kit, you would have to also add the stage 1 and 2 kits.

Funny how Indian says if you want to upgrade a 111 to a 116 BBK you have to have stage 1 and 2 upgrades yet releases a 116 bike with factory stock intake and exhaust.

Basically a stock 2020 116 is not the same as the 116 BBK kit

However the Stock 116 has the 11 to 1 compression ratio and most likely is better balanced at the crank and counter balancer.So it will be a smoother running engine than the BBK kit.

Here is the details of the Stage 2 2020 kit.

• Stage 2 equipment and tuning delivers approximately 17% more horsepower than stock 116-ci engine
  • Also provides dramatically improved throttle response for instant acceleration
  • Experience the incredible performance gain with no compromise of engine’s proven reliability and ride quality
  • Dealer installation required; dealer installs high-performance Stage 2 components
  • Dealer also uploads revamped fuel mapping for Stage 2 tuning that delivers optimized performance
  • Stage 1 Slip-On Exhaust Kit (sold separately) required
  • Thunder Stroke Stage 1 Performance Air Intake required (sold separately)
2884323.jpg

·
Bronze member
3,063 Posts
the heads are different on the 2020's also... I don't see your point... on these multiple threads... no they are not the same and I don't think anyone has said they were.. do they have the same numbers? no... will the 2020's have better numbers once you are at stage II? I'm sure will find out soon enough... but you're right on the performance part.. my Vegas with the big bore kit would run circles around a factory 100...

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the heads are different on the 2020's also... I don't see your point... on these multiple threads... no they are not the same and I don't think anyone has said they were.. do they have the same numbers? no... will the 2020's have better numbers once you are at stage II? I'm sure will find out soon enough... but you're right on the performance part.. my Vegas with the big bore kit would run circles around a factory 100...

The point is the stock 116 won't give you the numbers a 116 BBK kit does.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The point is the stock 116 won't give you the numbers a 116 BBK kit does.
Of course not. I don't know why anyway would think they're going to give you stage one and stage two kits factory installed for free.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course not. I don't know why anyway would think they're going to give you stage one and stage two kits factory installed for free.

Actually many who see the stock 2020's with the 116 engine may assume its the same as guys who upgraded the 111's with he BBK. That is was I was trying to point out.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Actually many who see the stock 2020's with the 116 engine may assume its the same as guys who upgraded the 111's with he BBK. That is was I was trying to point out.
Thanks for posting... This is exactly what one would assume. Now we know that a badged 116 does not mean what we think. Seems a bit of a mess to navigate now. We will figure this out.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Just keep in mind that the stock 2020 bikes that come with the 116 engine is not the same as someone having the 116 BBK kit installed.

The Stock 2020 bikes with the 116 have the same stock intake and exhaust as the 111 bikes

Indian offers a Stage one kit for 111/116 which is the high performance air intake and exhaust

Indian offers a new Stage 2 kit for the Stock 116 which is high performance cams, high flow fuel injectors and 60 mm throttle body. ( the BBK kit on the 111 has the cams and throttle body but not the injectors)

So to make a stock 2020 116 the same as the 111 upgraded to a BBK kit, you would have to also add the stage 1 and 2 kits.

Funny how Indian says if you want to upgrade a 111 to a 116 BBK you have to have stage 1 and 2 upgrades yet releases a 116 bike with factory stock intake and exhaust.

Basically a stock 2020 116 is not the same as the 116 BBK kit

Here is the details of the Stage 2 2020 kit.

• Stage 2 equipment and tuning delivers approximately 17% more horsepower than stock 116-ci engine
  • Also provides dramatically improved throttle response for instant acceleration
  • Experience the incredible performance gain with no compromise of engine’s proven reliability and ride quality
  • Dealer installation required; dealer installs high-performance Stage 2 components
  • Dealer also uploads revamped fuel mapping for Stage 2 tuning that delivers optimized performance
  • Stage 1 Slip-On Exhaust Kit (sold separately) required
  • Thunder Stroke Stage 1 Performance Air Intake required (sold separately)
View attachment 525656
My next question is concerning the connecting rods... what exactly comes stock in the base 116?

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now I am really confused! o_O :):):)

It is a age old Marketing trick.

Indian releases a big bore kit (116 cu) that requires intake, exhaust, cams etc. And is the big power monster

Years later many bikes come with a 116 cu engine but that is it, no performance intake, exhaust and or cams, that comes at a extra cost it you want it.

So a BBK 116 will out torque and HP a stock factory 116

Everyone learns about the BBK kit and its power, years later Indian offers a stock 116 cu engine and everyone assumes its the same thing and jump for joy and signs the sales ticket.

The Stock 116 is an upgrade over the 111 but it's not a BBK 116

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
We at least now know why there has been a parts shortage for the BBK.
I found out today that there is also a nationwide backorder of the frame assemblies we have already been waiting on for 2 months. Maybe available again by December? The general lack of communications gets me angry.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We at least now know why there has been a parts shortage for the BBK.
I found out today that there is also a nationwide backorder of the frame assemblies we have already been waiting on for 2 months. Maybe available again by December? The general lack of communications gets me angry.

Dealers I have spoken too have the same thoughts about the zero communication Polaris policies.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Now I am really confused! o_O :):):)
The Stage 2 for the 2020 116's would essentially match the Stage 3 111 to 116 BBK, although the stock 116 on the new models may have some differences that would allow it, with stage 2, to outperform the stage 3 BBK.

So whenever a motor is upgraded to a new size, many of the internal and external components are also upgraded, which means it will perform better than a stock in the same size. Thus, an upgraded 103 or 116 will perform better than the stock version of the same size engine. The bonus of buying the larger engine in stock is that you can upgrade it as well, and then it will outperform the former upgraded engines. However, Indian currently doesn't make a BBK for a stock 116 since 116 is as big as Indian goes. Thus, a stage 2 upgrade on a 2020 stock 116 is the highest you can go, (unless Indian does come out with a BBK of some kind, say a 124 or something).

I've probably only added to your confusion.

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Stage 2 for the 2020 116's would essentially match the Stage 3 111 to 116 BBK, although the stock 116 on the new models may have some differences that would allow it, with stage 2, to outperform the stage 3 BBK.

So whenever a motor is upgraded to a new size, many of the internal components are also upgraded, which means it will perform better than a stock in the same size. Thus, an upgraded 103 or 116 will perform better than the stock version of the same size engine. The bonus of buying the larger engine in stock is that you can upgrade it as well, and then it will outperform the former upgraded engines. However, Indian currently doesn't make a BBK for a stock 116 since 116 is as big as Indian goes. Thus, a stage 2 upgrade on a 2020 stock 116 is the highest you can go, (unless Indian does come out with a BBK of some kind, say a 124 or something).

I've probably only added to your confusion.

Exactly, the Stock 116 supposedly have better flowing heads to take advantage of the 60mm throttle body. So A Stock 116 upgraded to stage 1 and Stage 2 most likely would out perform slightly a BBK kit.

The Stock 116 is running the high 11 to 1 compression ration and will run smoother than the BBK since the BBK has the crank and counter balancer specs of a 111.

Indian says the new 116 is just as smooth. So a stock 116 will most likely be a smoother running engine since it was made and balanced for the 116.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts