Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I'm seeing white smoke on start up with my 19 Roadmaster. It smells like burnt oil.

The bike is less than three weeks old and under 300 miles.

I'm checking the oil and it's not using any and the smoke is mostly on first start up after it's been sitting a few hours.

I'm thinking a trip back to the dealer is in order but wanted to check in here first to see if this is a known issue.

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I probably should have put this in the problems/issue forum. And I think I found the issue while reading there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Normally white smoke is coming from water, maybe condensation in the exhaust. Fuel will cause black smoke and oil will cause blue smoke.
The fuel smell could be caused by rich fuel during starting

·
Super Moderator
4,926 Posts
Howdy!

I'm seeing white smoke on start up with my 19 Roadmaster. It smells like burnt oil.

I'm checking the oil and it's not using any and the smoke is mostly on first start up after it's been sitting a few hours.

I'm thinking a trip back to the dealer is in order but wanted to check in here first to see if this is a known issue.

Thanks.
Not sure I've read or heard about this issue Roy. Since this is a new bike I'd get it back to the dealer and have them check it out. I'm here in Wylie so a nice short ride to Garland or McKinney would be in order, I believe. Keep us posted on what is found to be causing the issue.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Another thing to consider is that it might still be burning off any residue from the inside of the pipes. Most formed metal has some kind of oily protective coating when new. This won't give smoke in any appreciable quantity but might explain the smell. I'd have thought 300 miles was long enough to clean it all up, but perhaps not.

White smoke from cold pipes is condensation. Burning fuel causes water vapour as a byproduct. If the pipe is hot we won't see it, if the pipe is cold it's often visible.

·
Premium Member
2021 Roadmaster Icon
70 Posts
I noticed that my 2019 RM would puff white when it was new as well. 5,xxx miles later, I don't notice it anymore. Runs extremely well compared to my 2016 RM. I think you will be alright. Chief and Doc nailed it I think

·
Silver member
4,662 Posts
Howdy!

Thanks.
Exhaust colors:
Oil is blue, gas is black, water is white. Though it can be contaminates burning off too. Any contaminates in the trapped air in the exhaust (including humidity) will puff out white smoke on startup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought an Indian Scout sixty yesterday it's an awesome bike. It has new RC pipes on it and white smoke at startup with the oil smell!

·
German Rider
1,784 Posts
Oil smoke should be blueish. White smoke is water. So, since the Scout is water-cooled, it COULD be cooling fluid/water or some moisture in the exhaust. Depends on weather, outside temps and where parked, some white smoke (some, a few seconds till exhaust is warmed up) can be normal. But all is guessing into the blue from my location....

Cu,
Sven

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,806 Posts
Especially in the moist cooler climates this time of the year condensation can be a real problem. That is why many will recommend not starting the bike for short periods of time in winter. This aggravates the rusting that can occur in the mufflers. Seriously doubt you have any issue to be worried about. Ride and enjoy. Dean

·
Registered
100 Posts
None of yesterday's starts produced any smoke. So now I'll just ride and keep an eye on it.
The first time on my 2017 RM, I rode about a km to a gas station. When I shut it off, there was quite a bit of white smoke coming out of the pipes/lower engine. I even rolled it away from the pumps because I was afraid maybe they'd left a label or plastic wrap on the new exhaust and it might ignite. Eventually it stopped and after a close look, I rode it back to the dealer. They said it was normal for a lot of their new bikes to emit white smoke at first, not to worry about it. It stopped soon after. Guessing it might have been anti-corrosive coating or maybe something related to the new cat.

·
German rider
737 Posts
Even Tyler O’Hara's Challenger smoked on his little Trip at Laguna Seca.
Then it is gone, and he won that 'King Of The Baggers' - Race.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts