Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a ride out to the Mississippi yesterday and it was a beautiful day for riding. I have to burn up some dealer credit and was wondering what others thoughts are on the 2019 lowers? Its a huge investment with bars ($409) and color matched lowers ($929). Comes out to roughly $1400 MSRP before discounts. That is a chunk of change.

I have the older lowers and am curious if the new ones are really better for wind. I am assuming my lowers are not worth anything unless someone has a steel grey bike that they are jones-ing to put some lower wind protection on. Thoughts?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Good subject. Ive considered the same thing. I have an additional question. Do you think your older lowers will have any resale value?
That could help offset the swap.

·
Rider
1,037 Posts
I would think the resale value of used lower fairings is pretty low. Might try eBay and see what happens.

TinIndian, since you have lowers on now and just looking to upgrade, I guess the value would depend on how much dealer credit you have to burn. And if there’s nothing else you prefer in the shop.
IDK if there’s that big of a difference (I have the old ones) but maybe you could test ride a dealers bike with the new fairings on it to get an idea of the change?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Took a ride out to the Mississippi yesterday and it was a beautiful day for riding. I have to burn up some dealer credit and was wondering what others thoughts are on the 2019 lowers? Its a huge investment with bars ($409) and color matched lowers ($929). Comes out to roughly $1400 MSRP before discounts. That is a chunk of change.

I have the older lowers and am curious if the new ones are really better for wind. I am assuming my lowers are not worth anything unless someone has a steel grey bike that they are jones-ing to put some lower wind protection on. Thoughts?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
I was wondering the same question. Also the older lowers use the mustache style bars that still look good with the lowers removed. On long summer rides I don’t think the new engine guards would look as good without the lowers installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Would they not fit a Chieftain? If so that would open the market up a bit to Chieftain owners who want a useful extra bit of protection and storage. I thought a Roadmaster was effectively a Chieftain with a trunk and lower fairings?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Like some others have said, I would take a new roadmaster for a test ride and see if there really is THAT much of a difference to justify the cost. Thats a huge chunk of change that could be better spent on other things you might want. Personally, I dont think they're will be much of a noticeable difference. I have the old style lowers on my chieftain and depending on the combination of how I set the vents, in combo with the clear plastic deflectors on the top, I can pretty much direct air down low or up high and have never noticed a buffeting issue at all. Plus you wont be stuck with trying to sell or store older lowers. Just my .02!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Got lowers on my springfield and yes they make a surprising difference, cuts the wind from whipping up in front of the screen so stops almost all buffeting

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have the old style lowers on my chieftain. I think they are great. In the hot weather I open the vents and put the clear deflectors in the down position and I get tons of air without buffeting. In cold weather they block most of the cold and put the engine heat on me. What more are the new ones going to do? You should test ride a 2019 a see how they compare. I paid 500 for my lowers without the mustache bars. That was from another forum member

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
lowers come in handy when u hit a rain/storm block so much crap from hitting you. help keeps ya feet a bit more dry. less cleaning of the eng. if your in florida or prob NW USA yes get them.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,944 Posts
I've ridden with both. The older ones are good. The new style does let air through more effectively when the vents are open. I don't know about how the bars would look without the covers.

The only drawback I've experienced is a whistle from one side during certain atmospheric air density conditions, but it's not constant.

My opinion is that if you can do it using dealer credit, go for it, but not with a lot of money out of pocket.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
874 Posts
One other thing that should be pointed out. The glove boxes on the new version are not as big as on the old version because the mounting bar runs through the middle of the storage area. I like the older version for this reason. I also bought my set off the forum for $300 or $400 shipped. Can't remember exactly. I love them. I do take them off in the heat of the summer though.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Would they not fit a Chieftain? If so that would open the market up a bit to Chieftain owners who want a useful extra bit of protection and storage. I thought a Roadmaster was effectively a Chieftain with a trunk and lower fairings?
Are the bars the same on both bikes ? I know they look similar but could be slight difference in fitment and shape.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
One other thing that should be pointed out. The glove boxes on the new version are not as big as on the old version because the mounting bar runs through the middle of the storage area. I like the older version for this reason. I also bought my set off the forum for $300 or $400 shipped. Can't remember exactly. I love them. I do take them off in the heat of the summer though.
Wow that is cheap ,don't try to buy them here in Australia . Roughly double the price and if you get them posted via USPS around the same cost of the item it self.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
I would think the resale value of used lower fairings is pretty low. Might try eBay and see what happens.

TinIndian, since you have lowers on now and just looking to upgrade, I guess the value would depend on how much dealer credit you have to burn. And if there’s nothing else you prefer in the shop.
IDK if there’s that big of a difference (I have the old ones) but maybe you could test ride a dealers bike with the new fairings on it to get an idea of the change?
Im in a similar situation with things to buy off Amazon. Already added 20k in accessories, whats a grand or two more?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts