Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off I love the Indians. I had a 15 roadmaster loved it in the rain I could stay dry with the lowers thought indian really had there shit together. Finally traded in for a 19 and liked the bigger opening but I did notice some whistle through them when they were closed but was worth it. Today I got caught in a good rain storm and I have to say indian went backwards deleting the clear wind rain gaurds on the lowers it was like I was riding a Harley, the lowers do no good at all the rain hits you at the knees runs down your legs and fills your boots. I don't understand why they would do that why they would shoot themselves in the ass. if it was the money hell id gladly pay for them for an ad on but there is no way to mount them. I am really thinking about buying a set of lowers from the older bike and putting on my 19.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I took a test drive on a 2020 with the 116, awesome ride, but I noticed at high speeds a whole lot more wind buffeting than my 2016, actually pulled on my helmet and shook my sunglasses. It appears to me the new lower design funnels air back acrosss the motor to appease the masses with heat problems and sacrifices wind management in the process. On my 16, I ride with the vents open and seldom have the deflectors down. No way I could ride with the new lowers and no deflectors.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The new lowers require the new highway bars, I asked that question at the dealership, said they would not fit.
first off I love the Indians. I had a 15 roadmaster loved it in the rain I could stay dry with the lowers thought indian really had there shit together. Finally traded in for a 19 and liked the bigger opening but I did notice some whistle through them when they were closed but was worth it. Today I got caught in a good rain storm and I have to say indian went backwards deleting the clear wind rain gaurds on the lowers it was like I was riding a Harley, the lowers do no good at all the rain hits you at the knees runs down your legs and fills your boots. I don't understand why they would do that why they would shoot themselves in the ass. if it was the money hell id gladly pay for them for an ad on but there is no way to mount them. I am really thinking about buying a set of lowers from the older bike and putting on my 19.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,037 Posts
I have a 19, and didn't have a problem in the rain like this. They work great for me.

Maybe a set of wind deflectors on the forks could solve your issue there....

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Sometimes a manufacturer can take 3 steps forward only to take two back, they really need to look at doing more research and R&D which most of that including aerodynamics can be done on a computer these days.

·
Bronze member
3,210 Posts
Sometimes a manufacturer can take 3 steps forward only to take two back, they really need to look at doing more research and R&D which most of that including aerodynamics can be done on a computer these days.
they've done the airo R&D... IMO the added vent is just a knee jerk reaction to the heat of the motor... but at least when you buy the new lowers you get the inside too... unlike the previous when you had to buy both...

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
554 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread....

I've had two RMs with the classic design, most recently a RM Elite. I had not test driven a new bike with the "new" designed front fairing and lowers, however I am the owner of a 2021 JD RM. Two things that actually caught me off-guard. The wind protection is nowhere as good as the classic design, and that may be all caused by the lowers, much more buffeting from the wind coming from over the lower fairings and hitting my knees which ends up deflecting up into your chest and face... Missing the clear plastic shields that would prevent that... And when the lowers are closed, they whistle very loudly. If you crack them open about 1/4", they quiet down.....

·
Bronze member
3,210 Posts
there's a thread on here somewhere about a fix to that whistling... a lot of people saying the buffeting of the new fairing is worse on the Chieftains too... so I wouldn't automatically throw it on the lowers.. they could enhance it or even contribute more to it on a Roadmaster but the design of the fairing itself has a buffeting problem as reported here anyway

·
Registered
511 Posts
I totally agree with the OP when that post was made way back when. My first gripe about the lower leg fairings. Just beams that rain right in over the top of the fairing in to your knees. I have seen some of the older lower leg fairing plastic inserts and it looks like something similar would be probably helpful to redirect the wind and rain.

Reactions: Eeyore
1 - 10 of 10 Posts