Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

2019 Indian Springfield Correct Idle RPM

5K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Kost 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have a new 2019 Indian Springfield which I just took in for its break in service (500 mi.). I asked them to check the idle rpm because it seems very low to me (750). I have never stalled a bike as many times as I have this one in these first 500 miles. If I blip the throttle the thing stalls out. Is 750 too low? What are you experiencing with your Springfields at idle? Is it rider error? I'm starting to hate this bike because of this annoying issue. Any advice or insight greatly appreciated. TIA
God bless.

#8 ·
750-800 works for me too and I added a PVCX tuner with a Fuel Moto tune - and she hardly ever stalls (maybe once or twice in the past 6 months - probably my fault!).

The PVCX tuning process can also adjust the idle up to say 850-900 (or whatever) if you want that.

#10 ·
The RPM display on the speedo has increments of 50, and the bike will swap between two numbers, mostly 750 to 800. That's why others on here have quoted them. Does you bike swap between them or perhaps 700 to 750?

Another thing to consider is that the stock tune on the Springfield is set to a lazy throttle response. This means it needs a fair bit of throttle twist to get the motor to produce reasonable torque. This is how my Springfield was set up, and so was the one I took for a test ride. It took much more twist than any other bike I'd ridden. If you are accustomed to a more active throttle response from earlier bikes then that might be one aspect to consider.

I have a PVCX and custom tune and one adjustment I made was to make the throttle response more energetic so it takes less twist to produce workable power.

Another thought is what octane rating and fuel quality are you using? The only fueling problem I had on my previous Scout was giving the local independent fuel guy a try-out and his fuel made the bike run like crap so I went back to the major brands.

#14 ·
I agree with the above post. Mine's fairly new...only 800 miles and stalling isn't an issue. I find the throttle is really responsive in sport mode but typically use standard mode with no issues. Haven't even tried tour mode. I ride 3 different bikes and each has its own personality. I have stalled the new Harley but only in the driveway....its steep.

#15 ·
So I'm going to just chalk it up to getting used to this new bike. The warm rpm bounces between displaying 750 - 800 when idling. I've just been more mindful of my habits and such since my initial post with good results, no stalling even with a blip or two (can't help myself the bike sounds great). I just leave it in the Standard mode. I haven't tried out any of the other modes yet. Appreciate all the insights, suggestions, and tips.

#18 ·
So I'm going to just chalk it up to getting used to this new bike. The warm rpm bounces between displaying 750 - 800 when idling.
That's normal. The display only knows increments of 50 and it rounds up or down at some point. Imagine your idle speed is 780, it will show as 800, but if the idle speed drops to 770 it will show as 750. The increment is actually smaller than the display indicates.

#19 ·
My Stage 2 Thunder Stroke tuned by Craig idles right around 800, I don't see any reason to blip the throttle, this particular Chieftain gets quite bit of attention from passers by and other bikers =)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.