Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just received notice of a tail light recall on 2019 Chieftain. Claim lights are too bright and not enough distinctions when brakes are applied. What’s the solution? Replace LED tail lights with dull halogens? What are your thoughts?

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
just received notice of a tail light recall on 2019 Chieftain. Claim lights are too bright and not enough distinctions when brakes are applied. What’s the solution? Replace LED tail lights with dull halogens? What are your thoughts?

That’s what happens when they cheap out and get rid of the dedicated tail light on the Chieftains 2019 +

·
Rider
863 Posts
Oh thats crap. Totally unacceptable
Bought bike with Leds and will stay Leds.
We paid extra moola for these leds.
If thats case with replace with crap then mine stay as they are.
The EPA says bike needs to run a certain way.
They dont care how it runs just as long as it meets their numbers.
A lot of us overide that and tune it the way it should run.
I believe personally that they will put some kind of dimmer resistance in there. The newer Leds are dimable so they should be able to dim the running light circuit and leave the brake light alone.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You keep all original parts.
Your dealer will just reflash the vcm
The new update just dims the tail lights a little.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,839 Posts
I posted in the other thread. I checked mine last night. there is plenty of difference in light output. I'm in no hurry to get this done. and disagree with baron's assessment. rode with a friend about a month ago and he was impressed with the rear lighting. he owns a 2014 vintage.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I posted in the other thread. I checked mine last night. there is plenty of difference in light output. I'm in no hurry to get this done. and disagree with baron's assessment. rode with a friend about a month ago and he was impressed with the rear lighting. he owns a 2014 vintage.
You can refuse the reflash
Go to your dealer and let them know.
When your dealer files the claim with Polaris there is an option for your dealer to tell Polaris that you refused the flash.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,839 Posts
Please provide your facts.
Exactly. Baron normally is a fountain of good info, but this just comes off as vindictive, like Indian had it coming, like it's bad Karma or something. There are no facts, just one opinion. Hijack over.

·
Rider
739 Posts
Exactly. Baron normally is a fountain of good info, but this just comes off as vindictive, like Indian had it coming, like it's bad Karma or something. There are no facts, just one opinion. Hijack over.
I know, but it was too easy to pass up. There is no one here who could possibly connect the dots between the removal of a middle brake lite and the incorrect programming on a LED controller circuit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Changing to LED cost more, not going cheap IMO.

I'll keep mine.
The link in my email does not bring up the tail light recall, probably take a few days to catch up.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Please provide your facts.
Indian eliminates the tail light, Indian saves money by not installing a tail light. Cheaper for Indian to produce a bike.

This has been a common thread I’ve seen with most of the Indians “improvements”. They usually find a cheaper way to make the bike when they do a redesign.

Improve the layout of the switch housing and make it out of plastic.

Redesign the faring and eliminate the driving lights.

Redesign the seat and cover it with vinyl instead of leather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,839 Posts
what do any of these "facts" have to do with a programming error? polaris knows the requirements of the nhsta as well as they know EPA requirements. to claim that one is even remotely related to the other means you believe that the engineers purposely made the lights brighter because they changed designs. they have nothing to do with each other. baron just expressed an opinion and called it a fact. it's not, plain and simple.[banghead]

·
Rider
863 Posts
The recall is a simple flash and that is all.
No cost, no pains, no bulb changes.
I am at the dealer here and they updated flash their new stock in the showroom and showed them to me.
I went ahead and had the flash done.
It is overal better.
The running lights are dimmed slightly while the brake lights seem to be the same
Paul

·
Rider
739 Posts
Indian eliminates the tail light, Indian saves money by not installing a tail light. Cheaper for Indian to produce a bike.

This has been a common thread I’ve seen with most of the Indians “improvements”. They usually find a cheaper way to make the bike when they do a redesign.

Improve the layout of the switch housing and make it out of plastic.

Redesign the faring and eliminate the driving lights.

Redesign the seat and cover it with vinyl instead of leather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They only eliminated it on the new style Chieftain. The classic still has the middle light. So your point isn’t well made.

Switching to plastic to save money? You just described the entire automotive and motorcycle industry.

Fairing design eliminating driving lights? See my explanation for the tails.

Seat cover is vinyl? Once again, see my explanation for the tails.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts