Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So was riding today and a person in a car behind me at a light told me my right saddlebag was open. I closed it, not know how long it had been open. When I got home I thought wait that should not have happen even if I did not close it all the way at the last stop. The 2019's have that feature where the latch has 2 positions 1st position is to prevent exactly what happened to me it closes and catches but not fully closed. The second is fully closed.

So back at the garage I played with the bag and it does not do the 1st position thing only fully closed. Other side works fine and so did this one until today. Anyone else seen this issue? Lid out of adjustment maybe? Oh by the way, if I push the lock assembly with my hand it does move and click into place 2 positions so it's not the lock itself from what I can tell. The bar that the lock catches does not seem to have any adjustment to it because if I were a betting man, I'd bet that it's out of position by a hair. Now that I'm writing this and thinking about it I bet when my right bag is closed that lock is in position 1 and not fully engaged (but that is just a guess) anyway just seeing if anyone else has seen this issue.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
There was a thread a few months ago where somebody had a lock seize up somehow - I think it locked up with the lid open. They don't seem to fail and there's only this one thread that comes to mind.

One of my bags does both click actions before the lid is tight against the rubber and the loose lid concerned me for a while. I thought the fixed bar would adjust down a touch to correct it but also found there is no adjustment.

If yours is not pushing down far enough, is the rubber seal out of position?

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'll take a second look at it tomorrow, it seemed tight but I'm not sure. I'm going to ride tomorrow I guess I'll keep them locked (side note I have a basic so no remote locks).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yea happened to me once n noticed there is a second lock as when u push down on it,personally I dont like these the ones on the classic are so much better quality in my opinion and the liners they sell are shaped/formed for the previous years shape so wtf was Indian thinking and have not manu'd new ones for these rectangular boxes...
Not good man.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I haven't had one pop open but one side doesn't seal when its closed. does anyone know how to adjust it to make it close tighter?

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I need to take it in to the dealership, but trying to wait for my 2500 mile service (last one I'll let the dealer do) and my $250 referral card to come. I like to kill a few birds with one visit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts