Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum
Just traded my 2018 Chieftain for a 2019 Limited and left the next day for Indy on a 1200 mile 3 day trip. Unfortunately it included rain. I was absolutely shocked by the poor wind and rain protection compared to my last 2 Chieftain Classics. And, the wind buffeting my helmet at interstate speeds is completely unacceptable to me. No way I’d keep this bike in this condition (2021 Challenger?)

luckily the web is full of others with the same issues so I should have done my homework in advance. The web suggested JES wind deflectors mounted to the forks. I purchased a set and it did improve the situation. Has anyone added the Indian lower fairings from a Roadmaster and did they “fix” the issue? Thanks for any input.

·
Rider
973 Posts
I have a Chieftain Classic, so can't compare the 2 fairings, but a better windshield from Freedom or Klock Werks will also help with wind management.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kost
Thanks for the reply but yes I already use the klock windshield. The excess air is actually coming from under the fairing and in a downpour bringing water with it. I was tired of the Classic’s look and big fenders but man did it have great wind/rain production. All my trips are longer distance so maybe I need a Goldwing. Lol

I have a Chieftain Classic, so can't compare the 2 fairings, but a better windshield from Freedom or Klock Werks will also help with wind management.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kost
Thanks for the reply but yes I already use the klock windshield. The excess air is actually coming from under the fairing and in a downpour bringing water with it. I was tired of the Classic’s look and big fenders but man did it have great wind/rain production. All my trips are longer distance so maybe I need a Goldwing. Lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ran into this too with my '19. A lot of us put on lower deflectors to help cut down on that current coming up the tank. JES is what I got and they look almost stock when installed.

·
Registered
732 Posts
When it rains I use slip on protection on the lower front bar. Works slick without the cost of lowers on my Classic. Maybe on the new Chieftain it would help?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts