Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went on eBay and purchased those rear crash bars for like $60 bucks they look pretty good and they came fairly quick.

For those who added them if I’m correct it’s a 6 mm bit needed ?
It looks like the saddlebags have to be removed in order to put them on?

Lastly, I’m not sure I’m going to like their look With the new 2019 style saddle bags, I already swapped out the rogue seat for the older style chieftain seat which I find more comfortable...

For those that have added the rear bars, did you Remove the saddlebags and how long does it take?

·
167 Posts
There was no need to remove the saddlebags on my Classic to install the crash bars. But it might give you more room to work and less chance of a scratch.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did remove my bags first, the bags take 5 minutes and the bars take 10. So allow 30 minutes total to remove bags, attach bars and reattach bags. Half a beer job.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
425 Posts
Due to the different shape of the bags on the 19's it's best to remove the bags. I started to install mine with the bags on and quickly found out I needed to remove them.

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was no need to remove the saddlebags on my Classic to install the crash bars. But it might give you more room to work and less chance of a scratch.
Yes exactly my thought love the paint hate to put an unnecessary scratch on it by my own hand... thanks 😊

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did remove my bags first, the bags take 5 minutes and the bars take 10. So allow 30 minutes total to remove bags, attach bars and reattach bags. Half a beer job.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do bags and bars use same 6 MM bit ?
When I looked inside bags it looked like a wire ran through it ? Any disconnecting to do when you remove bags or ...?
Thanks 👍🏻

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Due to the different shape of the bags on the 19's it's best to remove the bags. I started to install mine with the bags on and quickly found out I needed to remove them.
Exactly what happened to me and was going to try to install in the few spare mins I had and realized this may need some more time to do easily and properly with scratching paint... Thanka 😉

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you guys post some pics with your bars installed...
Still can’t decide if it takes away from The look of the bike but...

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Ah just put'm on...small investment in time. You wanna know what they look like on YOUR bike, right? If you don't like them just take them back off.

btw, Last year I bought the $60.00 rear crash bars too, for my '15 Vintage. They came with the proper mounting bolts. Fit & finish was/is just as good as anything else on the bike. And it wouldn't surprise me if the $60 bars are manufactured in the same country as the Indian bars, that cost about 5X as much.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Do bags and bars use same 6 MM bit ?
When I looked inside bags it looked like a wire ran through it ? Any disconnecting to do when you remove bags or ...?
Thanks 👍🏻
Take off the side panels first so you can unplug the wiring for the electric locks. There's 1 plug on each side.

Phil

·
Rider
1,034 Posts
Got my Indian brand bars here on the forums NIB for half Indian MSRP, did not remove the bags, but did tape off sections of the bars and restricted the wrench swing to make sure no damage occurred.

Reactions: Earman67

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm not crazy about the looks of the rear crash bars, but for what we pay for these bikes, I'm all about the extra protection from damage. I was all set to purchase the $60 ebay crash bars, but ran across a set of OEM Indian crash bars on one of the Facebook buy/sell/trade pages for $85. Did not need to remove the saddle bags, but did use a thick towel to protect the bags during installation.

·
Rider
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for sharing, bars don’t look as bad as I thought. Ans you’re correct dr what we pay for these bikes ......😉

·
Registered
55 Posts
I work on a 2 beer minimum lol 1 during and 1 after. Hey @lycan6 what trunk and mount is on your bike? And did you paint it?
Lol. Okay gotcha.
The tour pack is a chopped torurpack from Advanblack. They make them for Harleys. I had it painted once i received it. The do colors for Harley but not Indian. Maybe they will start to see the market for Indian as well. The mount i purchased from from a guy on one of the FB forums. He's in Canada and its a pretty solid mount that is adjustable to two positions. The price was right also at $365 powder coated black and shipped. His name is Dave Budinsky.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
425 Posts
@lycan6 thanks I've been looking at avanblack chopped trunks! It looks great on your bike! Guess I'll have to see what painting would run me. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 19 and did not remove my bags. Didn’t have any problem installing them with bags on. Took a total of 20 mins

1 - 20 of 23 Posts