Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Chieftain owner, already did the 500 mile service at the dealership. I was expecting the next service at 5K, but going on the ride command app , it says i am due for the 2500 mile service. I have 2600 on it now. Anyone done this and approx cost? Looking on the maintenance schedule, all they do is inspect everything,, not change any fluids. Worth it? Thanks

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Few minutes of your time... Check nuts'n bolts, oil, fork leaks, belt tension, lights/signals, etc. Your time - free. Dealer time - $$$. If you're not mechanically inclined or not comfy doing this yourself, visit the dealer man. Dealer will be more than happy to take your money.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,115 Posts
I think it is. The biggest thing is to adjust your belt tension since a new belt can stretch a bit, and a good once over for things that could've come loose. They also flash any other updates that may have come out. My dealers charged 1 hour of labor which varies dealership to dealership.

Reactions: Motorjock721

·
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,901 Posts
New Chieftain owner, already did the 500 mile service at the dealership. I was expecting the next service at 5K, but going on the ride command app , it says i am due for the 2500 mile service. I have 2600 on it now. Anyone done this and approx cost? Looking on the maintenance schedule, all they do is inspect everything,, not change any fluids. Worth it? Thanks
just change the Oil yourself

·
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,901 Posts
No oil to change on the 2500 service.
Your right .. my bad. Then .. skip it! lol. I did the 15k service... waste of money. My theory now ( 45k on the '14) ... 5k oil changes, bring it in for tires as necessary ... and ... anything that breaks :)

·
German Rider
1,733 Posts
Depends on, what your dealer charge you. Mine called 50 bucks, less than 1 hr. Got free coffee during waiting time, so no biggie for me....

5000mls/8000km service including oil and brake fluid change was about 260 bucks, so I see no reason to skip a service or do it by myself...

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: PE4CE and Moto_Max

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Your right .. my bad. Then .. skip it! lol. I did the 15k service... waste of money. My theory now ( 45k on the '14) ... 5k oil changes, bring it in for tires as necessary ... and ... anything that breaks :)
Definitely don't skip it!

You're giving out bad advice. (I hope no one listens to this guy.)

At 2500mi your bike is still in the break-in stage and the nuts and bolts are still going through their heat cycles. It's important to check all major fasteners as stated in the manual. Items can back out and fall off. Which can harm the motor or even the rider. It seriously takes a few minutes and a handful of basic tools to make sure everything is tight according to specs.

At 5000mi I still had nuts and bolts that were coming loose. Check em every time!

·
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,901 Posts
Definitely don't skip it!

You're giving out bad advice. (I hope no one listens to this guy.)

At 2500mi your bike is still in the break-in stage and the nuts and bolts are still going through their heat cycles. It's important to check all major fasteners as stated in the manual. Items can back out and fall off. Which can harm the motor or even the rider. It seriously takes a few minutes and a handful of basic tools to make sure everything is tight according to specs.

At 5000mi I still had nuts and bolts that were coming loose. Check em every time!
Yep .. nobody listen to me... lmao .. I've got three '14s and a '16 ... none in for the 2500 miles service thank you.

The sky ain't falling

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Well I guess luck is on your side. I don't see why someone wouldn't take the few minutes checking nuts and bolts to keep everything in order. The nuts that were backing out on my bike were even held on with high temp loc-tite and were torqued to spec. Same nuts backed out 3 times before they finally stayed seated. They were header nuts. My header pipe was falling off when I was 1000 miles away from home. I have a handful of spare header nuts in case I lose one on the road again.

I have also seen entire foot control assemblies hanging off, brake caliper bolts gone etc.

·
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,901 Posts
Well I guess luck is on your side. I don't see why someone wouldn't take the few minutes checking nuts and bolts to keep everything in order. The nuts that were backing out on my bike were even held on with high temp loc-tite and were torqued to spec. Same nuts backed out 3 times before they finally stayed seated. They were header nuts. My header pipe was falling off when I was 1000 miles away from home. I have a handful of spare header nuts in case I lose one on the road again.

I have also seen entire foot control assemblies hanging off, brake caliper bolts gone etc.
Good Point ... if someone lives near a dealer or has the time, etc. But ... having ridden for decades lime many/most .. and a lot of bikes... my opinion is .. its usually a money maker for the dealers. I think I read where you said your dealer charged $50 and .. free coffee. For me ... my dealers are way out of the way... not worth it unless I really need something done.

To each their own of course.
p.s. I lost an entire Shift assembly off my HD as you say .. at the 25k point. Of course.. that was about 900 miles after a shop had worked on the bike. Go Figure :)

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
Good Point ... if someone lives near a dealer or has the time, etc. But ... having ridden for decades lime many/most .. and a lot of bikes... my opinion is .. its usually a money maker for the dealers. I think I read where you said your dealer charged $50 and .. free coffee. For me ... my dealers are way out of the way... not worth it unless I really need something done.

To each their own of course.
p.s. I lost an entire Shift assembly off my HD as you say .. at the 25k point. Of course.. that was about 900 miles after a shop had worked on the bike. Go Figure :)
IF someone has the time? How hard is it to spare 20-30mins?

That was not I, stating my dealership charging $50 with free coffee. I do not take my bike to the dealership. And local dealer charges $180 for the 2500mi inspection, with free coffee, sometimes donuts. It's the flat rate time of 1.5hrs at $120p/hr

·
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,901 Posts
IF someone has the time? How hard is it to spare 20-30mins?

That was not I, stating my dealership charging $50 with free coffee. I do not take my bike to the dealership. And local dealer charges $180 for the 2500mi inspection, with free coffee, sometimes donuts. It's the flat rate time of 1.5hrs at $120p/hr
My dealership is 225 miles each way ...

When I got my first Indian (2009) ... was 400 miles each way . ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts