Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Looking at getting into a 2019 Chieftain DH. Would you consider this a good deal? What are some things to look for?

What are some things to look for? I'm coming the speed bike world and have always liked the Indian baggers.

Thanks for all and any help!

·
Rider
1,240 Posts
Welcome to the Group!
This seems like a great deal.
I have the same bike right down to the color.
Feeling it is the best bike ive ever had, and I have had many. Really dont have any complaints. The Chieftain DH is a premium model.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Group!
This seems like a great deal.
I have the same bike right down to the color.
Feeling it is the best bike ive ever had, and I have had many. Really dont have any complaints. The Chieftain DH is a premium model.

Thanks for the feedback. Going to look at the bike today! Been watching reviews of the bike and searching for info all day prior to looking.

·
Bronze member
2,278 Posts
I try to take my emotions when looking at making a big purchase, especially toys. Way too easy to get excited and turn a blind eye or miss something that I may regret later. That said, it looks good on paper. My 1st question to the seller is why are they selling? Seems like a really short ownership. Hopefully, the seller is sincere and seems trustworthy and gives you a reasonable answer. Verify that the bike isn't a salvage. Was it a demo bike? Hope it checks out. Seems good, good luck. Looking forward to see how it all turns out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I try to take my emotions when looking at making a big purchase, especially toys. Way too easy to get excited and turn a blind eye or miss something that I may regret later. That said, it looks good on paper. My 1st question to the seller is why are they selling? Seems like a really short ownership. Hopefully, the seller is sincere and seems trustworthy and gives you a reasonable answer. Verify that the bike isn't a salvage. Was it a demo bike? Hope it checks out. Seems good, good luck. Looking forward to see how it all turns out.
You are absolutely right! Ill be sure to ask questions and thoroughly look over the bike. How do you know if it was a demo bike?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would say it’s what it’s worth. I bought a 2019 Chieftain DH from the dealer, new, for $22,700. I bought it in February.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love it, best bike I’ve owned so far. Keep in mind I only have 3300 miles on it. I won’t bore you with details, but if you want more information I’d be happy to offer my opinion.
Sure, like to hear it from an actual owner if you don’t mind. I was honestly debating this or a Harley street glide

·
Rider
1,240 Posts
Buy the Indian
The suspension is way better.
I believe the rear on the Indian is 4.5 inches travel and the Harley Street Glide is under 3.0 inches travel.
Indian is more refined of a ride.
The indian also weighs in at 820lb with fuel but roll it along about 15mph and it feels and handles like it weighs much less.
And actually to me the fairing looks like a Street Glide.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was in the same boat as You, I wanted a Street Glide Special, then my Harley Riding Buddies said buy a Indian, so I did. I'm with Mr. Extreme! Buy the Indian, you get way better technology. Locking saddle bags from the remote, push button start, better stock stereo, better suspension, LED lights standard ect, ect.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey everyone,
Looking at getting into a 2019 Chieftain DH. Would you consider this a good deal? What are some things to look for?

What are some things to look for? I'm coming the speed bike world and have always liked the Indian baggers.

In this guys post he references showing the bike at the local Polaris dealer. So I checked their site and they’ve got a 0 mile 2019 Chieftain Dark Horse for $22,964. Now that’s likely a number with specific incentives or deals already applied; which you may or may not qualify for. Just figure I’d throw that out. And that number doesn’t include tax, tags, and whatever special fees you get for buying a bike in Hawaii.
I was stationed in Guam and there were fun little island fees for vehicles and bikes even if buying from the AAFES car sales.

Might be worth asking if it’s got the extended warranty.

If it’s really never been dropped then that’s a damn good deal for a barely broken in Chieftain. Ad says dealer service records so it probably got the 500 mile breakin service done.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey everyone,

It looks like Slip-On are only extra.
No cams , air cleaner , passenger bar , driver’s backrest. Nice bike, you should be able to get that for around 21,000.
At a dealer you might get other incentives.
Give one a call, I bought a 2018 Blacck Pearl limited
For 20,000 last year.
This was in Dublin California.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So after looking at the bike today, I talked him down to 21,250. I was able to do so being that he wanted to show me the bike at the local Polaris dealer which indeed had a 2019 Dark Horse for sale, so it actually helped me in talking down the price. The bike did have a few very minor scratches on the "saddle bags" and a minor scratch on the rear tail fender. Other than that, it was just dirty from sitting outside (bike is there for a recall on the windshield motor) and the dealer moves it outside during the day and inside during the night.

I did talk to the sales manager about the brand new '19 in the show room. The final asking price to include taxes and everything was 24,500, but they'd give me 750 bucks for accessories/apparel. So do I buy the barely used one for 21 or the brand new for 24? I am actually leaning towards the used but I'd like to hear your opinions.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
478 Posts
"To each his own" as they say. I personally prefer brand new when spending this kind of cash. There is nothing wrong with a used bike don't get me wrong, I personally just will not put out $21,000 for a used bike. When I bought my Chieftain basic the deal I got was at the top of what I budgeted for a bike. Being mine is a basic there were a few better equipped used Chieftains out there for a grand or two less. I just couldn't spend that kinda cash for something used. I started this off with "to each his own" so I'm not speaking bad on anyone else'sdecision, just giving my opinion since you asked lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
To each their own and I know what I would do personally and since you asked I will tell,,,,I would start shopping new at local dealers you would use and buy a new one.

I say this for a number of reasons, if there is a scratch you know why, and there will be none or the dealer will fix it when you get it. You can usually get a better interest rate on a new vs used bike. You are establishing a lasting relationship with a dealer where buying used you hope they take you in and you do not have an ally, if you buy new you have others, salesperson, finance etc. who you can call on to join your side if there are issues down the road.

It is not like it is a smoking deal and you are saving thousands and thousands for buying a bike that someone doesn't want anymore for some reason, and if there are already cosmetic flaws how did he care for the rest of the bike. Hit the bricks hard and ignore the used one for a few days, you may be surprised when he realizes you are shopping how the price may drop on the used when he knows you are not head over heels in love with his. He will have a tough time selling that bike as fall is approaching.

New bikes smell better than used bikes too,,,nothing like that new bike smell :ROFLMAO:

·
Bronze member
3,472 Posts
well in my state the taxes/title and license fee doesn't matter if it's used or not... you pay them and you pay them off of what you purchased them for.. so that number of used vs. new is a lot closer here... so you'd have to add $950 to the used bike.. basically a grand... now your talking a difference of only two grand.. then knock off the 750 for accessories (and you will spend it on the used on too.. trust me) you are now down to 1250 dollars difference... nothing wrong with a good used bike... lots of riders buy and find our it's too big or like the guy that was on here a couple of months ago... his buddies were into riding so he got into it... then his buddies got into something else (I can't remember) so he was trying to dump his bike... in other words he wasn't biker... but with only 1250 between the two IMO go new... and how hard did you haggle with the dealer?.. we are damn close to the 2021 bikes... seems he should be able to shave off some more on a 19...

another thing is if you can find a used big twin like a early Victory or something for less than $2000 you can trade it in and get two grand plus if it's a Victory another 500 loyalty... there are so many ways to skin a cat if you try...

Reactions: LightninST

·
Registered
99 Posts
To each their own and I know what I would do personally and since you asked I will tell,,,,I would start shopping new at local dealers you would use and buy a new one.

I say this for a number of reasons, if there is a scratch you know why, and there will be none or the dealer will fix it when you get it. You can usually get a better interest rate on a new vs used bike. You are establishing a lasting relationship with a dealer where buying used you hope they take you in and you do not have an ally, if you buy new you have others, salesperson, finance etc. who you can call on to join your side if there are issues down the road.

It is not like it is a smoking deal and you are saving thousands and thousands for buying a bike that someone doesn't want anymore for some reason, and if there are already cosmetic flaws how did he care for the rest of the bike. Hit the bricks hard and ignore the used one for a few days, you may be surprised when he realizes you are shopping how the price may drop on the used when he knows you are not head over heels in love with his. He will have a tough time selling that bike as fall is approaching.

New bikes smell better than used bikes too,,,nothing like that new bike smell :ROFLMAO:
Hmm idk man, I don’t think fall in Hawaii is the same as fall in the rest of the 48 states...

You made a good point with the interest rate too... can’t imagine getting a better rate for a used bike then new.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts