Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i rode a 2019 Chieftain Dark Horse yesterday. I loved it with one exception. Over 40mph, the wind was buffeting my helmet. With the windshield fully down, it literally shook my head around. With it fully up, it was comfortable, but so loud. If I slouched down a few inches it was fine. If I sit up naturally, I could barely hear my headset, and couldn’t hear the stereo.

Is there a taller or flared windshield that works well? Specifically wanting to hear from guys around 6’3” who actually changed their windshield.

I’m not giving up or changing my helmet. It’s an Arai Signet-X with custom fitting. Nothing else fits my head as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I rented a 2019 Chieftain Limited this weekend and the buffering ruined the ride. Was really looking forward to the Chieftain after the reviews but it’s a deal breaker. Windshield up or down (up was worst). I’m 5’9, Shoei RF-1200 helmet, and the drumming sound drove me nuts. Tested a Street Glide and Heritage Classic today and neither had this issue. Today I tried a Springfield dark horse (no windscreen) and enjoyed all the chieftain dynamics with no noise.

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
i rode a 2019 Chieftain Dark Horse yesterday. I loved it with one exception. Over 40mph, the wind was buffeting my helmet. With the windshield fully down, it literally shook my head around. With it fully up, it was comfortable, but so loud. If I slouched down a few inches it was fine. If I sit up naturally, I could barely hear my headset, and couldn’t hear the stereo.

Is there a taller or flared windshield that works well? Specifically wanting to hear from guys around 6’3” who actually changed their windshield.

I’m not giving up or changing my helmet. It’s an Arai Signet-X with custom fitting. Nothing else fits my head as well.
I put a 14" Klock dark tinted on mine... all the way down is where it stays unless I'm in the rain... I'm 6'.. no buffeting to me.. but everyone's definition of buffeting is different... does it bounce my head around, no... can I hear the wind, yes.. if I had to do it over again I wouldn't get the dark and I would go to the 12"... but I'm satisfied with it the way it is and I'm not spending another $250... I already have the factory windshield sitting on the shelf I ain't gonna have two.. one more thing about the flared windshields they are wider than factory and you will really notice the amount of wind off of your shoulders... which I really like when it's below 50 degrees..

·
Rider
739 Posts
Some things to consider, think of the stock windscreen as their "entry-level" piece, much like the stock exhaust. It meets the immediate need of deflecting wind but that's about it.

I had the same issues, lots of bobble-head and wind noise while wearing my Shoei Neotec 2 modular. I upgraded to the Indian 13.7 shield which has the flip at the top and it reduced a lot of the noise. Then I installed the JES lower fork wind deflectors and now it's a dream to ride. The deflectors knocked down the majority of the wind coming up the tank (which causes the most bobble head movement, not the wind screen). Now I ride with the screen all the way down unless I'm on the highway and the wind noise is reduced so much that I ride with a half helmet and no ear plugs.

Klock Werks flip shields can be found on Ebay for $180 saving you some money. I'm 5'9' and the 10" is fine, but I would go with the 12" if you're 5'10"-6' and the 14" if you're over 6 foot tall. But definitely get the JES deflectors and you'll have a much nicer experience. I posted a review video in the Chieftain specific forum for the deflectors if you want to know what's involved in the install.

·
Registered
57 Posts

The helmet you wear also has a lot to due with noise level and buffeting. When I first went to the Chieftain I had a big problem with my head getting bounced around at speeds over 45-50 MPH. I was riding a Scout, no windshield, and had no problems with wind noise or buffeting.
Try a few things until you can get lowers installed. If you are wearing a full face helmet, try riding with the face shield all the way open just to see if it makes a difference. Then ride with it completely closed, no crack to vent. Try windshield all the way up, partially up, and all the way down. Further, try a half helmet, adjusting the windshield as you ride. I know exactly where you are coming from, I thought my eye balls with going to shake out my head my first few rides. As I kept riding and making a few adjustments, I've reduced the buffeting down almost to zero at all speeds. I have a few different helmets and adjust a little differently for each one. I do not have any lower wind deflectors and I also have the stock wind screen. Hopefully you can find good riding position that eliminates the buffeting!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. My issue isn't my head bobbing around. Rather, a LOUD drumming resonance in my helmet that's pretty unbearable for more than a few mins. There was less noise on my cruiser with no wind protection. Is there a full-face/modular helmet anyone can recommend that might be better?

·
Rider
739 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. My issue isn't my head bobbing around. Rather, a LOUD drumming resonance in my helmet that's pretty unbearable for more than a few mins. There was less noise on my cruiser with no wind protection. Is there a full-face/modular helmet anyone can recommend that might be better?
The wind coming up from the tank is causing that. A set of $140 dollar wind deflectors will remove a ton of that effect...much cheaper than a new helmet (a good new helmet I mean)

·
Rider
827 Posts
I put a 14" Klock dark tinted on mine... all the way down is where it stays unless I'm in the rain... I'm 6'.. no buffeting to me.. but everyone's definition of buffeting is different... does it bounce my head around, no... can I hear the wind, yes.. if I had to do it over again I wouldn't get the dark and I would go to the 12"... but I'm satisfied with it the way it is and I'm not spending another $250... I already have the factory windshield sitting on the shelf I ain't gonna have two.. one more thing about the flared windshields they are wider than factory and you will really notice the amount of wind off of your shoulders... which I really like when it's below 50 degrees..
Thanks for the post high plains rider! I just bought a 2016 Chieftain, been anticipating having to get something to replace the stock piece.

I'm 6' tall but have 30" inseam, I'm tall from the waist up, which directly affects how much buffeting I will or will not be dealing with.

Your post was very informative, possibly going with the Klock Werks 14" clear version, sounds exactly what I'm going to need.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Rider
724 Posts

Get a freedom shields windshield with the curve at the top. I ordered one an inch taller than my RM stock shield. It sends the air about 4" higher than the stock shield...absolutely no buffeting.

Oh, and it looks badass too.

·
Rider
724 Posts
Get a freedom shields windshield with the curve at the top. I ordered one an inch taller than my RM stock shield. It sends the air about 4" higher than the stock shield...absolutely no buffeting.

Oh, and it looks badass too.
freedom_shield.jpeg

·
Rider
863 Posts
I 2nd the freedom shield
I bought one 14" tall med dark tint and absolutely love it.
This is way below eyes and throws air high over head.
The optical clarity is crystal clear and they are a company that cares.
All the documentation and instructions are well laid out.
Way cheaper then klockworks and just as good if not better.
If you keep the film on it they will let you try it and if you want to exchange for different height, tint you can.
Awesomeb awesome company
No i am not connected in any way with Freedom Shields.
Just a very happy customer

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I appreciate each reply, and it looks like others are benefiting from your expertise, as well.

Changing out the helmet, as said before, is a no-go. I was already considering purchasing the hard lowers to install on the CDH, like the Roadmaster has. Sounds like they might affect the issue, as well as the windshield height.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I appreciate each reply, and it looks like others are benefiting from your expertise, as well.

Changing out the helmet, as said before, is a no-go. I was already considering purchasing the hard lowers to install on the CDH, like the Roadmaster has. Sounds like they might affect the issue, as well as the windshield height.
I have the JES Lowers installed and the 14” Freedom windshield on my 2018 Chieftain Limited. I know what you mean about not wanting to change your helmet. I’ve worn Arai helmets for the last 17 years and haven’t found another helmet more comfortable or more well made. You can’t beat a hand made Arai helmet for quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,297 Posts
The lowers mounted on the forks, JES or the Indian ones are supposed to quiet the buffeting down quite a bit. The flipped or flared lip windshields also help. I'd recommend your do both.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
I changed my helmet to the Shoei RF-SR, from the GT, & swapped the stock windshield for a flared klockwerks, helped quite a bit. I will be picking up the JES deflectors as well

·
Rider
863 Posts
I have the 14 inch freedom and also the JES deflectors
Very pleased with no heavy air turbulance.
Light flow of air just enough.
I believe this combo is best you can do without lowers and to tell the truth its actually very good and nothing better is needed.

·
Rider
724 Posts

A helpful hint, if you do switch out your shield. Get a roll of gaffers tape (used for taping down mic cables, cords, etc), it doesn't leave any residue. Put a small patch of it OVER each rear nut on the windshield. Keeps them from falling out when you take the screws out. You don't want to have to rip the fair off to get any you drop.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts