Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the 116 in my 2019 Chieftain dark horse. I have the stage 1 exhaust and the Indian performance air cleaner. The bike has a speed limiter and runs very rich. I have had the ECU flashed with the Indian stage 3 Map and it runs very rich to the point you can smell the fuel as well as see the fuel residue on the side of the bike and air cleaner. Can anyone tell me where I can get a good tune of at least a proper MAP. According to the local dealer Polaris is still trying to work out the kinks in the 2019 MAPs. And suggestions on how to get this thing running like it should. I have contacted fuel moto and they don't have anything for the 2019 with the BBK

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts
i have the 116 in my 2019 Chieftain dark horse. I have the stage 1 exhaust and the Indian performance air cleaner. The bike has a speed limiter and runs very rich. I have had the ECU flashed with the Indian stage 3 Map and it runs very rich to the point you can smell the fuel as well as see the fuel residue on the side of the bike and air cleaner. Can anyone tell me where I can get a good tune of at least a proper MAP. According to the local dealer Polaris is still trying to work out the kinks in the 2019 MAPs. And suggestions on how to get this thing running like it should. I have contacted fuel moto and they don't have anything for the 2019 with the BBK
CraigB on this forum does remote tuning and most likely can help you get the bike in order. He takes logged data of logs created with the PV3 from your bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CraigB on this forum does remote tuning and most likely can help you get the bike in order. He takes logged data of logs created with the PV3 from your bike.
Baron58 I am a new member here and still trying to figure this whole forum thing out. I appreciate the info. I will see if I can figure out how to make contact with Mr CraigB

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Baron58 I am a new member here and still trying to figure this whole forum thing out. I appreciate the info. I will see if I can figure out how to make contact with Mr CraigB
Contact Fuel Moto first... they will most likely hook you up with Craig. At least their Remote Tuning service is run that way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Contact Fuel Moto first... they will most likely hook you up with Craig. At least their Remote Tuning service is run that way.
Thanks for the info big I spoke to fuel moto this week they have nothing for the 2019 BBK. They are still waiting to crack codes I guess.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Thanks for the info big I spoke to fuel moto this week they have nothing for the 2019 BBK. They are still waiting to crack codes I guess.
This sounds something like what went on with the early 116 upgrades... Dealer flash was inadequate and rough, and aftermarket had not yet completed or released a good overall solution. I am sure you can log what the bike is doing now, and make some improvements where it is really out of whack. Finer tuning may not be available for awhile yet. You could always take the bike to a proper Dyno and have it dialed in.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Indians dont run rich no matter what stage is installed
You may have other fuel/ignition problems

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,652 Posts

Really, hmmm..... wonder why the AFR's are leaned out on almost all aftermarket tunes. Indians run excessively rich in open loop operation. Closed loop remains the leaner 14.7.1

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Fuel residue on side of bike and air cleaner?

This observation sounds more like another issue altogether. How many miles on your engine? Is it blowing oil residue out the air filter from the crankcase breather?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea that's what it is basically. I am stationed over in Germany and it has been outlawed from the German government for dealers to eve

Well mine does and sure it's possible there may be other issues but a brand new bike with less than 1k miles on it shouldn't have any other issues. I had a dark horse in 2017 that ran rich as well. I am no stranger to riding Indians or Harley's for that matter. Mine runs rich.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fuel residue on side of bike and air cleaner?

This observation sounds more like another issue altogether. How many miles on your engine? Is it blowing oil residue out the air filter from the crankcase breather?
It has less than 1k the fuel is coming from the air cleaner. It's just excess fuel being pumped is all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really, hmmm..... wonder why the AFR's are leaned out on almost all aftermarket tunes. Indians run excessively rich in open loop operation. Closed loop remains the leaner 14.7.1
Agree with you. I had a 17 dark horse that ran rich I ended up putting a fuel pack and was able to lean it out

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
It has less than 1k the fuel is coming from the air cleaner. It's just excess fuel being pumped is all.
Take a look at your crankcase breather line... very low miles, running very hard, likely to be pushing a lot of oil vapor out top of engine. Mine will do the same when I am really pushing her hard.
If your problem was excess fuel, you would have a very dangerous and explosive situation and your ECM would be throwing codes like crazy. The thing is, excess fuel will show first in your exhaust system - typically as black carbon and will smell like raw gasoline in extreme cases. Your oxygen sensors will also be giving the computer feedback way out of specs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take a look at your crankcase breather line... very low miles, running very hard, likely to be pushing a lot of oil vapor out top of engine. Mine will do the same when I am really pushing her hard.
If your problem was excess fuel, you would have a very dangerous and explosive situation and your ECM would be throwing codes like crazy. The thing is, excess fuel will show first in your exhaust system - typically as black carbon and will smell like raw gasoline in extreme cases. Your oxygen sensors will also be giving the computer feedback way out of specs.
Thanks for the info. I will check that out. It smells just like fuel only code I have gotten was for a knock sensor low voltage. That problem is now fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts