Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new to me 2019 Chieftain Classic comiing tomorrow.....super excited as I am switching from years on a Harley.

I want LED lights as I have done on my previous bikes...here is the issue.....I have literally found the end of the internet trying to figure out what LED bulbs will work on my 2019 Chieftain classic. I don't really want to change out both the headlight and two driving lights with brand new LED's fixtures. I wanted to try the more affordable bulb replacement only. I know they are H4 bulbs for the headlight, and H8 bulbs for the driving lights. There are literally 100's of conflicting posts about which ones are good, which ones are bad, which ones wont fit, which ones need a system flash etc.

I am simply looking for another classic owner that has swapped out the head light and driving light bulbs with LED's and had great success. And if they have, what bulbs did you buy? Any help someone may have, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Bronze member
1,493 Posts
suprebrghtleds.com has the bulbs I used. I would caution you to check the temperature rating which is actually the color. If you are like me, I wanted the three bulbs to be the same color.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks masspatriot. Were you happy with the performance of the bulbs? Did it throw any codes on the bike? I am assuming you went with the cool 6500K for color?

·
Bronze member
1,493 Posts
I actually had a complete LED headlight from my HD. I bought the bulbs for the driving lights from superbright. I beleive they were 6000 or 6500. Very pleased. Any 7" Jeep headlight works

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a brand new to me 2019 Chieftain Classic comiing tomorrow.....super excited as I am switching from years on a Harley.

I want LED lights as I have done on my previous bikes...here is the issue.....I have literally found the end of the internet trying to figure out what LED bulbs will work on my 2019 Chieftain classic. I don't really want to change out both the headlight and two driving lights with brand new LED's fixtures. I wanted to try the more affordable bulb replacement only. I know they are H4 bulbs for the headlight, and H8 bulbs for the driving lights. There are literally 100's of conflicting posts about which ones are good, which ones are bad, which ones wont fit, which ones need a system flash etc.

I am simply looking for another classic owner that has swapped out the head light and driving light bulbs with LED's and had great success. And if they have, what bulbs did you buy? Any help someone may have, I would greatly appreciate it.

I used Pathfinders for the passing lights and used the Indian OEM for the main. The pathfinders required a trip to the electronics store to buy 100 amp connectors to use the OEM harness for the passing lights. Once changed it was like the sun was shining from the front of my fairing.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
suprebrghtleds.com has the bulbs I used. I would caution you to check the temperature rating which is actually the color. If you are like me, I wanted the three bulbs to be the same color.
I went to their website and selected the make, model and year of my bike (2018 Chieftain Limited) and their website says they have nothing that fits my bike.

But then I put in a 2019 Chieftain Classic and they have bulbs! I’m confused because I thought a 2018 Chieftain and a 2019 Chieftain used the same bulbs?

I’m thinking their website is screwed up. When I put in the word Limited I bet they think it has a LED headlight and no passing lights even though the 2018 Chieftain Limited uses the same bulbs as the 2018 Chieftain Classic. But I’m just guessing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I went to their website and selected the make, model and year of my bike (2018 Chieftain Limited) and their website says they have nothing that fits my bike.

But then I put in a 2019 Chieftain Classic and they have bulbs! I’m confused because I thought a 2018 Chieftain and a 2019 Chieftain used the same bulbs?

I’m thinking their website is screwed up. When I put in the word Limited I bet they think it has a LED headlight and no passing lights even though the 2018 Chieftain Limited uses conventional bulbs and has passing lamps as the 2019 Chieftain Classic does. But I’m just guessing.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I just went ahead and put the Indian Factory LED...I like 'em

·
Bronze member
1,493 Posts

I’m thinking their website is screwed up. When I put in the word Limited I bet they think it has a LED headlight and no passing lights even though the 2018 Chieftain Limited uses conventional bulbs and has passing lamps as the 2019 Chieftain Classic does. But I’m just guessing.

agreed

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Which bulbs did you use for the passing lamp? When I select the link for the passing lamps I have two choices. One says daylight running light with about 680 lumens and the other is rated as high as the main headlight in lumens. First though is it would be great to have three lights in front all as bright as the main headlight, or would it be too much? Or is their website messing up again?

·
Bronze member
1,493 Posts
Which bulbs did you use for the passing lamp? When I select the link for the passing lamps I have two choices. One says daylight running light with about 680 lumens and the other is rated as high as the main headlight in lumens. First though is it would be great to have three lights in front all as bright as the main headlight, or would it be too much? Or is their website messing up again?

H8-WHP28-DRL cool white

·
Registered
32 Posts

How did you make out? What did you end up using and did you have any code issues?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used the led bulbs from superbrightleds.com. They work great and no issues. Very affordable option for now. Might change later to an actual LED light. The difference is amazing from the stock bulb.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used the led bulbs from superbrightleds.com. They work great and no issues. Very affordable option for now. Might change later to an actual LED light. The difference is amazing from the stock bulb.
Did you put in resisters or just plug and play? Thinking of two
H8 LED Daytime Running Light Bulb - 680 Lumens - Cool White
Part Number: H8-WHP28-DRL and one
store image

H4 LED Fanless Headlight/Fog Light Conversion Kit with Internal Drivers - 4,000 Lumens/Set
Part Number: H4-HLV7 but only if no other wiring is involved or it will trip codes in the ride command. Is this what you used?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Awesome, thank you very much!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed JW Speaker headlight and driving lights on my '17 Limited and what a difference over the stock. I know they are pricy but the safety factor was built into the buying decision. I know you are looking for a cheaper alternative before going crazy on all out LEDs but when your ready check out the JW Speaker set up. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts