Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 2019 Chieftain (base model), I am current using the seat that came stock (from the manufacturer). I have done couple of trips 800-900 miles (about 400-450 miles per day). Shortly, I am leaving on a 4,000 mile trip and wanted to learn about your experience - whether it would be better to continue with the seat that I currently have and/or switch to a different seat (please recommend one that you think is better).

Note that I will not be needing a passenger seat. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,380 Posts
I had a 2015 Chieftain (now called a Classic) for 5 riding seasons, all with the original seat. I'm 5 foot eleven and 220 pounds with a 32 inch inseam. I don't have any natural ass padding to speak of but that seat worked just fine for me. I also only ran about 35 PSI in the rear shock for solo riding and about 50 PSI for two-up with my wife aboard. Just enough to prevent bottoming out. I also had to lower the floorboards with the Aeromach kit as my knees were too high relative to my hips. That in itself made a huge difference on comfort for distance riding.

·
Rider
570 Posts
Your height and inseam influences seat selection. I am 6’4” with a 36 inch inseam. I still have the stock seat on my 2015 Chieftain but have considered purchasing something different. I ride solo but would hate to lose my Indian luggage rack, which would happen, if I bought a seat for tall riders. I have ridden from here in NW Ohio to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks with my stock seat. My comfort level was ok but could be better with a different seat I am guessing. As of now, the trade off is in favor of the luggage rack though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For my 2019 Chieftain (base model), I am current using the seat that came stock (from the manufacturer). I have done couple of trips 800-900 miles (about 400-450 miles per day). Shortly, I am leaving on a 4,000 mile trip and wanted to learn about your experience - whether it would be better to continue with the seat that I currently have and/or switch to a different seat (please recommend one that you think is better).

Note that I will not be needing a passenger seat. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
I have a 2018 Chieftain Classic and decided to switch the stock black seat to desert tan.I saw that Ultimate seats got good reviews so I went with the tall rider model which is my only regret.The seat is super comfortable but it lifts me up a little more than I expected.I'm 6' and I think the seat was meant for taller riders than 6'-6'1" .So,that's a long winded way of recommending an Ultimate seat but choosing the right model according to your height. IMG_20200229_133735.jpg

·
Rider
476 Posts
I have a Corbin seat and it was the best thing I have done for my 2014 Chieftain! It sits you back about 1 1/2" to 2", can now ride all day without problems.

·
Bronze member
2,701 Posts
I still have my stock RM seat and a solo seat from a Chieftain. For long rides I use an Airhawk...makes all the difference in the world. Maybe I’m just trying to be frugal, but didn’t really want to drop $1000+ on another seat.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The 2019 has a different seat than the prior years. I find mine to be really comfortable. Most seats I'm squirming after an hour or two, but the rogue seat is all day comfortable for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought an 18 Chieftain Classic last summer in Vancouver, WA and rode it home to McCall, ID - 585 miles. My tailbone hurt like hell when I got home so I put a rider backrest on rather than buying a new seat. Problem solved. The backrest is what keeps me in the right rider position. The seat is pretty good IMO, though I only have three others to compare it to.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought a new 2020 Chieftain base model about 2-1/2 months ago. It came with the Rogue seat as stock. I'm 6'4", 260 lbs. and a 34" inseam. I was way too cramped at first and the Rogue caused a good bit of butt pain after riding for awhile. I did look at all the aftermarket seats and decided to go with the Indian extended reach heated seat (found one on ebay for less money than brand new). That seat is a totally different shape and style from the Rogue. Now, I'm at least 2" further back and something like 2 to 3 inches higher. The seat is much more comfortable, even for longer rides. A big plus was that I was able to shim the backrest bracket (down in the bike) so that it tilts back a little. That bit of tilt allows me to be able to use my Indian backrest with the extended reach seat, which is supposedly not possible. Frankly, I don't know how you managed to do a couple of 400-500-mile rides on your stock seat, unless maybe you don't have the Rogue seat. To me, that thing is awful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts