Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Rider
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the saddle bag lids and speaker covers for my 19' Chieftain DH but I don't want to spend $850 on the OEM speakers when that money could be better spent on quality sound components. However, I've yet to find a wiring diagram for the newer bikes or any pictures of the back of the ride command/radio module. Are there low level outputs? Is there a remote power output?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd rather not tear the bike apart until I'm ready to do the install with all the parts I need in-hand. Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
are you planning on bypassing the factory amp? if so I think the main plug coming off the ride command unit is the same from 17-19 I have bypassed the amp removed it completely putting an aftermarket in its place. there are only I think 8 wires going from the RC to the amp. 4 speaker wires a yellow wire that is hot all the time a black ground wire and a blue that is a remote turn on. I put DS 18 5.25 mid range speakers in the fairing and they sound great by far better than any 5.25 speakers ive heard. I did do 8.8 jl in the lids. my amp isn't big enough to run them so I just ordered a new one that should do the job. I made a plate out of 1/4" aluminum that would mount to where the factory amp mounts if I was doing it again I would use 1/8". and then I mounted the amp to that. yes to get to it to make adjustments you have to take headlight out but I would rather do that than have an amp in the saddle bag.

·
Rider
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you planning on bypassing the factory amp? if so I think the main plug coming off the ride command unit is the same from 17-19 I have bypassed the amp removed it completely putting an aftermarket in its place. there are only I think 8 wires going from the RC to the amp. 4 speaker wires a yellow wire that is hot all the time a black ground wire and a blue that is a remote turn on. I put DS 18 5.25 mid range speakers in the fairing and they sound great by far better than any 5.25 speakers ive heard. I did do 8.8 jl in the lids. my amp isn't big enough to run them so I just ordered a new one that should do the job. I made a plate out of 1/4" aluminum that would mount to where the factory amp mounts if I was doing it again I would use 1/8". and then I mounted the amp to that. yes to get to it to make adjustments you have to take headlight out but I would rather do that than have an amp in the saddle bag.
From what I’ve been hearing the amps are on the speakers themselves and they are fed by a power supply module which I guess is mounted where they typically install the amp in older models.

·
Registered
313 Posts
im really not sure of the amp being on the saddle bag speaker the reason I question it is because I have a 19 roadmaster with the saddle bag speakers I really don't see anything big enough to be amps on them but possible there are not any heavy wires and only 3 it looks like

·
Registered
313 Posts
they will have different speaker grilles because the lids are different but I don't think they have different speakers or wire harness. if I read correctly you are not wanting to run factory speakers are you wanting the amp in the saddle bags then? if so I am sure you will have to run power cables to the amps in the bags. I wanted to avoid that.

·
Rider
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’d prefer to keep the amp in the fairing which means it’ll have to be a small unit. Since the stock speakers are amped I’m pretty sure I’ll have to run new wiring but I need to know what kind of signal outputs the stock system has.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I found a plug that would plug into the plug coming off of the ride command I think a total of 18 wires but you only need a few of the wires I didn’t want to splice into factory harness. You need to decide what you are going to use for speakers Nd how many watt amp you need there are several amps I have found that will work in the fairing as far as size. Stinger makes an amp that fits. That is what I’m using but not enough power for my 8.8 speakers. Ds 18 has amp that will fit arc audio and sound digital

·
Rider
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've always been a fan of JL Audio, going back to the mid 90s, and I've had their products before. Their marine amps are pretty small but without knowing the space I have to work with I'll have to measure it out. I'm thinking a 4-channel with at least 50 watts RMS at 2 ohms to run the fronts and rears. I'm going to stay with the OEM size speakers for ease of installation so I have a ton of options for those.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I’m running 4 ohm speakers a lot more to choose from. 5.25 are hard to find. And if it was me I’d go with 100 watts per channel amp to make it worth it
idont know how much room the new fairing has inside. I know that mine I could go with an amp about 8.5 wide and 7 deep. I have 2 amps and a sound processor mounted in the fairing. It is tight but it works and didn’t cut a single factory wire

·
Rider
1,061 Posts
Yes the 19 has the powersupply in faring and amps are on the 6.5 saddlebag speakers themselves
I have them here.
Sure hope it is worth and sounds halfway decent.
Lotsa money especially the plastic grills.
Ripoff fer sure but the finished look is really nice.

·
Rider
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes the 19 has the powersupply in faring and amps are on the 6.5 saddlebag speakers themselves
I have them here.
Sure hope it is worth and sounds halfway decent.
Lotsa money especially the plastic grills.
Ripoff fer sure but the finished look is really nice.
Thankfully I came across two ebay posts for the lids and grills far below MSRP all unused. But the OEM speakers are ridiculous.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have the power audio on my 19 roadmaster with saddle bag lids and the fairing and the tour pack it does sound ok but the money I spent for it all I wish I would have went after market like ive done on my 18 chieftain. indian has done a good job in stepping up to the audio but the prices are crazy. for what you spend on speaker lids, grilles, and speakers you can about do all aftermarket and have better sound including 6 speakers and amps

·
Rider
1,061 Posts
I think it was 100 off the original 855.00 for speakers and bought grills from a dealer ebay and got about 75 bucks off the 409.00 and the lids my dealer gave me 20% off the reg cost of 520.00 . Still pricey!
Now after reading purple rides coments do i install them or get something better?
Spent a shi*t ton of money and I wanted something that was going to sound really good, but maybe not and just loud sound.
Its realized at 70mph it will sound so so but thinking its all hype and wont be all that great even cruising 35 mph. Especially purple ride wishing he did aftermarket. ?
Stuff is all here including the harness new in the box.
Should we put it in or not thats the thought I have right now?

·
Rider
1,061 Posts
I just wish everything wasnt so tight secretive with Indian.
Also wish I had an audio salon nearby that was decent. I would of went the aftermarket route.
Dean good luck finding the aftermarket solution.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just wish everything wasnt so tight secretive with Indian.
Also wish I had an audio salon nearby that was decent. I would of went the aftermarket route.
Dean good luck finding the aftermarket solution.
it can be done but to find a stereo shop that will spend the time doing it is gonna be hard to do. Ive had my fairing apart on my chieftain probably 10 times to figure everything out and will be doing it again because the amp is not enough power to run my 8.8 speakers so I have another one coming. I have had my fuel tank off to run power cables and speaker wire. have ordered plugs and made the saddle bag speakers un plug where the power locks unplug so I can remove the bags. the factory has so many wires inside the fairing as it is and adding more makes it worse. I have 2 amps in the fairing and a sound processor so it is busy up there but it is all in the fairing I didn't loose any bag space other than for what the speakers take up. that is what I was going for.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts