Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is really only for the 2018 model year Scout owners that were not blessed with a speedometer housing with the factory provided hole for the USB port that Indian added for the 2019+ Scout (non-Sixty models). This is because 2018 models came with the wiring harness addition for the USB port included but nothing else.

For 2015-2017 Scouts (all models), you will need the USB retrofit kit P/N 2883690 to get the wiring harness. It includes a new speedometer housing with hole. Jay Fast has a great video showing the install of this kit. It's on a 2018 model, though, so it doesn't include the harness install, unfortunately.

2019+ Scout Sixty models come with the wiring harness and the speedometer housing with hole but no USB port. USB retrofit kit P/N 2883689 includes just the USB port.

I did not feel like giving Indian an additional $70-80 just to get hole in the housing for my 2018 Bobber since I already have the tools to make my own hole. So, here goes...

1. Purchase P/N 2883689, to get the USB port only.

2. Grab a piece of paper, pencil, and the port retaining clip shell. Trace the inside walls of the clip.

3. Cut the trace marks to get your template. Apply glue to the newly created template. Choose a glue that has good immediate tack but doesn't dry/set quick or hard. I used Gorilla Construction Adhesive as that is what I had on hand. Stick template to outside of speedometer housing centered on the lower "open" area on the right side just in front of the handlebar clamps.

4. Test to make sure the template is adhered fairly well. You want to ensure that is doesn't move during this step. Using a razor blade or similar tool, cut the outline of your template into the paint of the housing. This gives you the general limits of the material you need to remove.

5. If you haven't already done so, remove the speedometer by removing the two T-20 screws inside the housing.
  6. Grab a drill and a bit to start the material removal process. I chose to use a 3/8" bit to remove as much material as possible before moving to the next step. Be careful to watch the limits of the hole created since the speedometer housing as a lot of curvature going on the bit can seem to wonder or not cut as generally expected on flat material. You just want to make sure you don't go past your template limits.

7. Grab your favorite rotary tool and, with a high speed cutter, start removing material. My bit was of the tungsten carbide variety, but high speed steel would work as well. Just be sure not to apply a lot of lateral pressure (forcing the bit into the housing) and don't stay in one location for more than a second or two. The aluminum can easily begin to melt and clog the bit. Once you reach the limits of your template marks, start testing fitting the USB housing to see where additional material needs to be removed. The USB housing angles up towards the speedometer and back towards the handlebar clamps, so your cuts need to match/allow for this. Use a flashlight both on the inside and outside to help identify interference points. At this point, make small adjustments and re-test fit often as you can always remove material, but you can't put it back. You don't want to past the limits of the USB housing outer lip or gasket.

8. Once the USB housing slides in easily and sits flush to the outside of the speedometer housing, its time to clean the mess that you just created, slide the USB housing in, slide the retaining clip in on the backside until it clicks, reinstall the speedometer, and mount the assembled unit back on the bike. Job done. Enjoy the functionally!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was just thinking about this, looks good. I'm going to buy a 13$ plug instead and so the same thing. Nothing seems special about the Indian specific one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is really only for the 2018 model year Scout owners that were not blessed with a speedometer housing with the factory provided hole for the USB port that Indian added for the 2019+ Scout (non-Sixty models). This is because 2018 models came with the wiring harness addition for the USB port included but nothing else.

For 2015-2017 Scouts (all models), you will need the USB retrofit kit P/N 2883690 to get the wiring harness. It includes a new speedometer housing with hole. Jay Fast has a great video showing the install of this kit. It's on a 2018 model, though, so it doesn't include the harness install, unfortunately.

2019+ Scout Sixty models come with the wiring harness and the speedometer housing with hole but no USB port. USB retrofit kit P/N 2883689 includes just the USB port.

I did not feel like giving Indian an additional $70-80 just to get hole in the housing for my 2018 Bobber since I already have the tools to make my own hole. So, here goes...

2. Grab a piece of paper, pencil, and the port retaining clip shell. Trace the inside walls of the clip.
    View attachment 580651

3. Cut the trace marks to get your template. Apply glue to the newly created template. Choose a glue that has good immediate tack but doesn't dry/set quick or hard. I used Gorilla Construction Adhesive as that is what I had on hand. Stick template to outside of speedometer housing centered on the lower "open" area on the right side just in front of the handlebar clamps.
    View attachment 580659

4. Test to make sure the template is adhered fairly well. You want to ensure that is doesn't move during this step. Using a razor blade or similar tool, cut the outline of your template into the paint of the housing. This gives you the general limits of the material you need to remove.
    View attachment 580660

View attachment 580661

5. If you haven't already done so, remove the speedometer by removing the two T-20 bit inside the housing.
    View attachment 580671
  6. Grab a drill and a bit to start the material removal process. I chose to use a 3/8" bit to remove as much material as possible before moving to the next step. Be careful to watch the limits of the whole created since the speedometer housing as a lot of curvature going on the bit can seem to wonder or not cut as generally expected on flat material. You just want to make sure you don't go past your template limits. View attachment 580666

7. Grab your favorite rotary tool and, with a high speed cutter, start removing material. My bit was of the tungsten carbide variety, but high speed steel would work as well. Just be sure not to apply a lot of lateral pressure (forcing the bit into the housing) and don't stay in one location for more than a second or two. The aluminum can easily begin to melt and clog the bit. Once you reach the limits of your template marks, start testing fitting the USB housing to see where additional material needs to be removed. The USB housing angles up towards the speedometer and back towards the handlebar clamps, so your cuts need to match/allow for this. Use a flashlight both on the inside and outside to help identify interference points. At this point, make small adjustments and re-test fit often as you can always remove material, but you can't put it back. You don't want to past the limits of the USB housing outer lip or gasket.
    View attachment 580675
    View attachment 580677

8. Once the USB housing slides in easily and sits flush to the outside of the speedometer housing, its time to clean the mess that you just created, slide the USB housing in, slide the retaining clip in on the backside until it clicks, reinstall the speedometer, and mount the assembled unit back on the bike. Job done. Enjoy the functionally!
    View attachment 580679

View attachment 580651

View attachment 580659

View attachment 580660

View attachment 580661

5. If you haven't already done so, remove the speedometer by removing the two T-20 bit inside the housing.
    View attachment 580671
  6. Grab a drill and a bit to start the material removal process. I chose to use a 3/8" bit to remove as much material as possible before moving to the next step. Be careful to watch the limits of the whole created since the speedometer housing as a lot of curvature going on the bit can seem to wonder or not cut as generally expected on flat material. You just want to make sure you don't go past your template limits. View attachment 580666

View attachment 580675
    View attachment 580677

View attachment 580679
Hi mate, thanks for your detailed description. I have a 2018 Indian Scout Bobber and I’ll follow your advice. Just one question. When I purchase the usb port cable P/N 2883689 you listed above, does that plug into this cable under the speedometer housing? Or, will I need to do more with the electrics.
65D420FA-15B4-4CB6-8A85-6B3168B539DB.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 580651

View attachment 580659

View attachment 580660

View attachment 580661

5. If you haven't already done so, remove the speedometer by removing the two T-20 screws inside the housing.
    View attachment 580671
  6. Grab a drill and a bit to start the material removal process. I chose to use a 3/8" bit to remove as much material as possible before moving to the next step. Be careful to watch the limits of the hole created since the speedometer housing as a lot of curvature going on the bit can seem to wonder or not cut as generally expected on flat material. You just want to make sure you don't go past your template limits. View attachment 580666

View attachment 580675
    View attachment 580677

View attachment 580679
That connector on the usb , does anyone know what its called because i could buy one of those and wire any usb into it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts