Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have gotten a hint on other discussions under the same title.
We purchased the bike last October used with 645 miles on it Since then she have put on maybe 2000 miles . The last ride was about 25 days ago while we were in Texas . Worked great then.
Right after we got home I put it the MC lift , and started installing Hardware for a sidecar for the wife. For a number of reasons the install was delayed until yesterday. That is when I was able to say it was installed. Pushed it outside in Neutral and tried to start it for the test ride. I turned the key on , and pushed the start button. The lights were all on, the fuel pump came up to pressure , and the engine turned over. The started sound strong . Maybe a bit slow. I had the tank off and suspected a fuel line problem. I got that eliminated. I have been riding since 1961, and with the old bikes I would have been checking the plugs, because that is what it acted like to me. No spark.
Charged the battery up last night. Same indications. Checked the battery & ground cables , tight. Tried it about 3 times. Let it set about 3 or 4 hours. Battery voltage was 12.5 Volts. Dropped to 10.5 volts with the engine turning over. Seems like the batteries in today's bikes give very little if any warning of going bad. Also they have a lot more work to do with the ECU ect.
Anyhow I would like to pick your brains.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m sure you do, but do you have enough fuel in your tank? I’ve had my scout not start on me because I did not have enough fuel in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
My bike brand new delivered to door started great. Dealer delivery person left and bike wouldn’t start. Dead battery. They were gonna come back and in the meantime I put it on trickle charger. It needed to be over 12.5 like you said but maybe that’s when it’s cranking. Mine is 2018 bobber

·
Registered
98 Posts
With so many miles since October I’m hesitant to ask but...
What was the temperature when it wouldn’t start? If you haven’t looked, there are several posts concerning this. I bought a brand new bobber in December and it has been a problem to start when the coolant temp is close to, or below, 30 — EVEN with a trickle charger. Today it was 39 here and it started first time. I was surprised.

·
Registered
412 Posts
the scouts a good bit cold natured ive found on mine when it starts getting below the 40's priming it 2-3 times is the trick for firing right up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My bike brand new delivered to door started great. Dealer delivery person left and bike wouldn’t start. Dead battery. They were gonna come back and in the meantime I put it on trickle charger. It needed to be over 12.5 like you said but maybe that’s when it’s cranking. Mine is 2018 bobber
How do you like this crap !! What would you tell this sales person ? I saw this post and thought WTF!

I have a 2016 scout ABS and have had starting problems from day one. Battery every year and still doesn't help the issue.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Add me to the list saying the bikes needs to be primed. I had the same thing happen to my Victory back in the day. When a bike sits that long it looses fuel pressure. I think the procedure is to turn the ignition on and then turn the kill switch on and off every 30 seconds or so. I think 12.5 volts should start the bike if the starter is turning it over fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do you like this crap !! What would you tell this sales person ? I saw this post and thought WTF!

I have a 2016 scout ABS and have had starting problems from day one. Battery every year and still doesn't help the issue.

View attachment 630117
Hey-- I found another post from a 2016 scout owner. I have a 2016 scout- We qll have the same start issues!! I have new $$ battery, yatta --BADD. What did you figure out??

·
Registered
13 Posts
I may have gotten a hint on other discussions under the same title.
We purchased the bike last October used with 645 miles on it Since then she have put on maybe 2000 miles . The last ride was about 25 days ago while we were in Texas . Worked great then.
Right after we got home I put it the MC lift , and started installing Hardware for a sidecar for the wife. For a number of reasons the install was delayed until yesterday. That is when I was able to say it was installed. Pushed it outside in Neutral and tried to start it for the test ride. I turned the key on , and pushed the start button. The lights were all on, the fuel pump came up to pressure , and the engine turned over. The started sound strong . Maybe a bit slow. I had the tank off and suspected a fuel line problem. I got that eliminated. I have been riding since 1961, and with the old bikes I would have been checking the plugs, because that is what it acted like to me. No spark.
Charged the battery up last night. Same indications. Checked the battery & ground cables , tight. Tried it about 3 times. Let it set about 3 or 4 hours. Battery voltage was 12.5 Volts. Dropped to 10.5 volts with the engine turning over. Seems like the batteries in today's bikes give very little if any warning of going bad. Also they have a lot more work to do with the ECU ect.
Anyhow I would like to pick your brains.
That's worrisome. I'm currently waiting on delivery on my new 2021 Scout. I live in Florida so it doesn't get cold very often, but that's a hell of an issue for a new bike!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I’m on my 3rd battery in 5 years on my Scout, have it on the trickle all the time and never had an issue with starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts