Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a puzzling event. Thank God I didn’t panic and my husband was behind me to get the cars off my rear. Went completely dead. No codes appeared when I shut off everything and restarted.
Key was in on position and emergency shut off was not hit.
Happened twice in one day , I now have 16,000 miles on it and keep it up with all Maintence schedules.
Just filled up 51 miles back , maybe bad gas? I ran thru some construction dust pretty heavy , maybe clogged my air filter.
Check battery cables , all tight
Was a hot and windy day. No over heat issues.
Oil is full
This is not my idea of a peaceful ride... can any one help out on this one.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
"I think" there was a recall on some wonky tilt sensors on some Scouts.
You might have your dealer check for you!
That was one of the symptoms of a bad one!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar event except cycling the key and killswitch wouldn't reset it. Ended up having to disconnect the smallest of the three tip over sensor cables to get going. That also powers the load module so my signals went crazy but I at least got home and off the side of highway. I've heard of tip over sensor issues; even back to the victory days, but no recalls against my VIN.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
Tilt sensors are just a little plastic housing with a pendulum that moves very slowly in a thick gel inside.
At approximately 45º lean it slowly makes contact that grounds out and the motor quits.
(I guess they assume that if it is laying on its side you might want it to be NOT running?);):)

I've had recalls on 3 of my GoldWings, 2 of my ST-1100s and the Honda Phantoms before.

The plastics dry up and crack with heat and vibrations and the heavy fluid leaks out and the pendulum can make a ground quite easily stopping the motor.

Funny/strange that none of my replaced ones ever had a problem?!?!? :rolleyes:

Are the bean counters playing the odds on a cheaper version thinking that it might last until the warranty wears out and then putting in the better ones if the government requires a recall?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts