Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased this bike a month ago from gentleman that took really good care of this bike. He only put 1k miles on it in the 1.5 years he had it. Long story short, I’m sitting at a traffic light and I hear this weird rattling noise coming from the engine, never heard it during the week I had it. Anyways I pull off from the traffic light and I just hear something go boom 💥. I pull over and I can’t get it in neutral. So I start pushing it and after a few feet the tranny goes back in gear but the neutral light is still on. So I push it back about half a foot and it starts to roll again. I had to to do this a couple times. So I called my local Indian dealer and they were able to come and pick it up. It’s been 3 weeks since they had it. They pulled all the casing as off, and don’t see anything out of place. They now have approval from corporate to pull the tranny/apart. This does not look like it’ll be fun. Stay rubbed for updates

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh great! I just bought a 2018 Bobber. Hopefully yours is an anomaly.
I’ve talked to the service manager and he said that’s the first one they’ve seen that had this happen to. He was also saying corporate wants him to ship them the parts so they can do research on it, as no one has seen this issue.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
There has been a couple of major gearbox issues on early bikes. When I had my 2016 Scout there was an English guy with a serious gearbox problem that took a long time to solve. From memory, I think it was a bearing that overheated and failed. And I think there was another US owner with a major failure, once again back in my Scout days, 2016 and 2017, so it's a bit distant for me.

It sounds like your bike is just inside the two year warranty, I hope so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts