Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am the 3rd owner of this machine. Purchased early Feb. 2020 with less than 3k miles on the odometer.

Pic from the sale listing:

List of mods at that point:

FMB 10" Mayhem Handlebars
Extended Barnett Clutch Line
Indian/Rokform Phone Mount
Memphis Shades Front Signal Relocation Mounts
Indian(?) Highway Bars
Kuryakyn Spear Mini Boards
Corbin Seat
Vance & Hines Twin Slash Exhaust
Ends Cuoio Cheyenne Saddlebag

Removed the handle bars (w/clutch line), highway bars, signal mounts, exhaust, and saddlebag (for sale). So,I basically took it back to stock except for the seat and mini boards.

Made a wheel stand to perform some maintenance tasks and as extra security for the kiddos that like to check it out.

Also made a jack pad "keyed" to the bottom of the engine and my floor jack.

Painted the clutch rod flat black with a heat-cured ceramic paint.

Replaced the stock horn with a 400 Hz PIAA Slim Line unit. Only needed to bend the support lip out of the way as it just barely interfered with the PIAA mounting bracket.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Been thinking about making a wheel chock for my scout and your design is perfect. I can replicate that.

Is the horn a two-tone by chance?

·
Rider
1,328 Posts
Awesome !!!

keep going !!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome !!!

keep going !!!
Thanks!

Hat tip to daveholl for this:

Giving a little more mechanical look, I cut an opening to the drive gear cover. This was done with a drill press and 3-7/8" hole saw, though I think a 3-3/4" would have been a little better due to the run out of the press. While I was going slow, making small "kiss" cut passes, and keeping the saw lubed, it did grab and jumped a bit about the 3rd cut stroke, so I have to do a little smoothing and blending around the upper lip.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Replaced grips with Avon memory foam grips with throttle boss/assist. Had to modify the end caps to keep the bar end mirrors.

Here's the original mounting parts for the end caps. The caps fit over the lips in the foam, and the screw and washer secure them from the inside with the threaded nipple going through the hole placed in the end of the foam and closed end of the sleeve.

Foam cut with sharpened copper pipe.

The plastic sleeve was bored with 13/16" spade bit from the inside, and the caps were bored with a combination of 13/16" spade bits with different cut profiles and a couple drill bits. Here's the end result on the bars:

The caps fit fairly tight around the foam, but I did glue them for some extra hold, especially for the throttle assist to be able to put pressure on it. And now that I am able to take final measurements, I need to source some spacers and longer bolts to install the mirrors. F.N.G Moto has a video showing and explaining the spacer as well as a couple other videos showing his Avon grip install.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Added USB port to the speedometer housing since it's older than the 2019 model year.
What are you using for a cell phone mount now that you did this? I've got to check the Wife's Bobber to see if she has a USB port, it's a 2019 but for the life of me I've never noticed (or even thought of looking there for one).

BTW, installed your other PIAA horn, works great! ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the last pic of that post (#6) you can see the phone mount above the speedometer. It's the Indian branded Rokform mount (P/N 2880449 [discontinued]). It came with the bike. It's a real clean setup, and I have such an older model iPhone that I only had to pay shipping cost for the case to use the mount.

It's removed in the grip photos as I am trying to get my clutch cable situation figured out. OEM one from previous owner was not original Bobber one and aftermarket replacement I got did not fit exactly as I thought it should. And I'm also in the middle of trying to come up with a possible plan for the headlight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great looking bike! Have you seen the cursive Indian emblem on the 1200? Ive seen some instafamous builds use that emblem instead of our scout one, and it looks so good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great looking bike! Have you seen the cursive Indian emblem on the 1200? Ive seen some instafamous builds use that emblem instead of our scout one, and it looks so good.
Thanks! I have seen it, and it's on the most-likely list. I have an accent color scheme floating around my head, but before I get to that point I have a few immediately smaller things I want to get done and then it will be on to intake and exhaust with tuner. Those are a pretty good chunk of change, so it may be a little while before I move to "final dress up".

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Got the spacers and 20mm longer (80mm) stainless socket screws for the mirrors. I ended up getting some 5/8" (~16mm) OD 0.984" (25mm) longer nylon spacers from Digikey (P/N RPC3343-ND). I went with nylon as its easy to work, I couldn't quickly find cost effective stainless spacers near the right dimensions, and I didn't want aluminum (already 2 different metals in constant direct contact, didn't want a 3rd). The ID was for a 6mm bolt, so I drilled it out with a 5/16" bit. Good thing about this is it's a few thousands smaller than the OD of the threads, so it acts as temporary nut to hold the mirror parts together as an assembly.

Started doing a wire tuck for the handle bars. Replaced the electrical taped factory splices with heat shrink tubing. Also blacked out the brake and clutch sensors wires with heat shrink as a small portion of them had to remain exposed.

Kept the control wires within the footprint of the housings.

Here's a shot of the exit at the center of the bars. Everything through a grommet.

And job 99% done. Waiting for new wire loom to cover the ends behind the headlight. Not shown, I made silicone plugs the fill the old wire passage ways in the housings. While not completely obvious, I got a Barnett clutch cable as well. I ended up getting one 2" shorter than their stock length as it was still too long for my liking (still shorter than the one I was given with the bike).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts