Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2018 Roadmaster. I owned four other Harley's, but the Indian has nothing on it! Love the bike!

However, while doing the break-in at approximately 30 km, the bike showed an error code P0172: Fuel Correction System Too Rick 1 (Front) (Pre). Then at 130 km, the bike showed an error code P0175: Fuel Correction System Too Rick (Rear) (Post). I called and trailed the bike back to the Langley dealership to get it re-flashed. This trip (Kelowna to Langley) was an all-day event for a 20 min update.

I started the remaining of the break-in without an issue. However, last night at approximately 292 km, the bike produced an error code P0172: Fuel Correction System Too Rick 1 (Front) (Pre). I parked the bike, and this AM called the dealership who is looking into it.

Question, has anybody else had this error codes? Can I continue to ride the bike without causing further problems?

Any suggestions or comments will be helpful!

·
Registered
609 Posts
The first thing I’d check is how tight the battery cables are; they have caused many error codes if they are loose.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,906 Posts
I agree with the previous post. Check those battery connections. But to answer your question, on a 2016 RM, I did continue to run the bike expecting the computer to make corrections as needed. Didn't seem to have any problems and if I remember correctly, the next time I started the bike after shutting it down, the error codes were gone and stayed that way. But again, that was a 2016. They've made a lot of changes to the point that I won't buy a new one. Just too many changes that I don't agree with. Personal choice. Glad I got my 16 RM when I did. Won't allow them to make updates either. I signed the waiver.

·
Bronze member
4,870 Posts
These bikes are hyper sensitive with codes. The too rich fuel correction is fairly common on a newly flashed ECU (factory new) the Bosch ECU has to adjust fuel trims to get the mixture correct according to the fuel tables. Clear the code on your display in the diagnostic section. To clear the engine check light, turn the power button on and select the handle bar run/start/stop switch to run (don't start the bike) turn everything off, wait 10 to 15 seconds, and repeat 4 more times. Then start the bike, the engine check light will clear. If you don't get the code again no worries. The reason you got it the second times is the dealer re-flashed your bike which made the ECU start over again.

Many ECU units will allow a few occurrences to happen prior to triggering a code. But these bikes trigger codes at the first occurrence. If the code doesn't appear again then you have no worries. Repeated codes mean you do have an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These bikes are hyper sensitive with codes. The too rich fuel correction is fairly common on a newly flashed ECU (factory new) the Bosch ECU has to adjust fuel trims to get the mixture correct according to the fuel tables. Clear the code on your display in the diagnostic section. To clear the engine check light, turn the power button on and select the handle bar run/start/stop switch to run (don't start the bike) turn everything off, wait 10 to 15 seconds, and repeat 4 more times. Then start the bike, the engine check light will clear. If you don't get the code again no worries. The reason you got it the second times is the dealer re-flashed your bike which made the ECU start over again.

Many ECU units will allow a few occurrences to happen prior to triggering a code. But these bikes trigger codes at the first occurrence. If the code doesn't appear again then you have no worries. Repeated codes mean you do have an issue.
I received a third error code after the re-flash! The dealership is picking up my bike this weekend to hopefully fix it. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2020 RM dark horse
243 Posts
There's a downloadable app from Indian that explains the various codes.

Reactions: IndianRMike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally found out my issue. One of my Ho2 sensors was not working from the factory. It was replaced and everything is back to normal. Sad the season is almost over.

·
Registered
410 Posts

Thanks for this. Today was my first day riding my new Chieftain, and I got this error code and check engine light. I was pissed, but it cleared eventually on its own. Your info is helpful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 2018 Roadmaster. I owned four other Harley's, but the Indian has nothing on it! Love the bike!

However, while doing the break-in at approximately 30 km, the bike showed an error code P0172: Fuel Correction System Too Rick 1 (Front) (Pre). Then at 130 km, the bike showed an error code P0175: Fuel Correction System Too Rick (Rear) (Post). I called and trailed the bike back to the Langley dealership to get it re-flashed. This trip (Kelowna to Langley) was an all-day event for a 20 min update.

I started the remaining of the break-in without an issue. However, last night at approximately 292 km, the bike produced an error code P0172: Fuel Correction System Too Rick 1 (Front) (Pre). I parked the bike, and this AM called the dealership who is looking into it.

Question, has anybody else had this error codes? Can I continue to ride the bike without causing further problems?

Any suggestions or comments will be helpful!
Was Indian ever able to figure out why you were receiving this code? I've been dealing with this for two-years now, on and off. This year has been particularly bad. It has been in the shop twice for this code, they replaced the O2 sensor, and less than a week out of the shop, the check engine light came back on and I received the P0175: Fuel Correction. System Too Rich 2(Rear)(Post) error code on the vehicle diagnostic screen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts