Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I had my dealership add the stage1 and stage2 to my 2018 the intake did not match the bike gold badges. The tech suggested removing the 111 from the bedpan but I thought it would look ugly on the black high flow intake. I looked up some ideas to paint the silver etchings on the intake and came upon a video using powder coat paint. Didn’t require any tools but a spoon and some bent pipe cleaners. Had to fill in all the etchings with the powder and meticulously wipe away powder from all surrounding areas. Then bake in oven at 400deg for 10mins.
I used candy gold powder coat I bought from amazon. Will post pic on bike after it cools.
https://i.imgur.com/cqRxRbI.jpg

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
That turned out well. I'd be pretty happy if my handiwork came out looking like that.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Since I had my dealership add the stage1 and stage2 to my 2018 the intake did not match the bike gold badges. The tech suggested removing the 111 from the bedpan but I thought it would look ugly on the black high flow intake. I looked up some ideas to paint the silver etchings on the intake and came upon a video using powder coat paint. Didn’t require any tools but a spoon and some bent pipe cleaners. Had to fill in all the etchings with the powder and meticulously wipe away powder from all surrounding areas. Then bake in oven at 400deg for 10mins.
I used candy gold powder coat I bought from amazon. Will post pic on bike after it cools.
https://i.imgur.com/cqRxRbI.jpg
Damn, that's a winner.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the comments, I hope this helps someone else. If anyone wants info just contact me. I am no way an artist and it took about an hour to clear the powder from the surrounding areas before baking. Just need a steady hand.
Here’s the video I watched, I did not use water after messing around with a couple experimental pieces. It seemed to smear the powder so I cut pieces of pipe cleaner and folded into a brush then wiped it off. Kept wiping off the pipe cleaners on a shop rag. Also used a piece of plastic (end of a zip tie) to squeegee off the excess before using the pipe cleaners.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Might get a powderdcoat sprayer (equipment) and do the bolt heads too but this looks great. Exactly as I wanted it to look. Should be as durable as factory (or better).

Before

After (not in sunlight though)

I don't give out a lot of those "winner" ratings but that bike is nice!

Reactions: mjbenedict

·
Registered
436 Posts
Looks great, good to see baking the black back ground paint didn't hurt the finish. Power Coating is a science and you might be lucky the gold powder you bought worked ok. If you over bake black it will turn grey and can become chaulky. If they are different bases that can cause problems as well. Anyway it looks awesome!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks great, good to see baking the black back ground paint didn't hurt the finish. Power Coating is a science and you might be lucky the gold powder you bought worked ok. If you over bake black it will turn grey and can become chaulky. If they are different bases that can cause problems as well. Anyway it looks awesome!
Yeah, that was a expensive risk I was taking. I figured I had all winter to correct it if there was a problem. I assumed being close to the engine it was powder coated and able to take the heat. I was watching during the baking with a flashlight while holding my breath.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I used to work in the fireplace business and know that there are not many high temp black powders out there. I'm sure the air cleaner is not a high temp powder but it should be good for 400 - 450 for short time no problem. Ours was a fairly high temp powder and cured at 470 or so for about 15 minutes. I think it would take 600 degree continuous

·
Registered
384 Posts
Wow hate to take that doll baby down the road my betty is seeing some wear but damn that is a diamond and just enough different to keep people guessing

Reactions: mjbenedict
1 - 20 of 21 Posts