Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Hello to everyone,after much thought I bought a RM in France,I have 2000 km in two weeks,but just road through 3 hours of rain and now it is dead at roadside,running on one cylinder only,abs an,fires up on one then shuts down,not what I expect from the price,so recovery to shop next week and a long taxi ride home 300k.So any ideas please as I have sort of list trust in it,and of course I my Harley freinds are saying told you etc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Very sorry to hear..... hope you get sorted out quickly and back on the road.
Sounds like water has got into where it shouldn't be..... good luck..

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Hi
Hello to everyone,after much thought I bought a RM in France,I have 2000 km in two weeks,but just road through 3 hours of rain and now it is dead at roadside,running on one cylinder only,abs an,fires up on one then shuts down,not what I expect from the price,so recovery to shop next week and a long taxi ride home 300k.So any ideas please as I have sort of list trust in it,and of course I my Harley freinds are saying told you etc.
Possibly, she took in too much water through the A/C. And then the battery was drained by starting it so many times. When this happened to my Vintage, had her towed home, took apart and let the air filter dry out, let her sit overnight on a tender, and she (reluctantly) started the next day. Ran a little rough for about 10 minutes before the water was gone.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to Indian.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possibly, she took in too much water through the A/C. And then the battery was drained by starting it so many times. When this happened to my Vintage, had her towed home, took apart and let the air filter dry out, let her sit overnight on a tender, and she (reluctantly) started the next day. Ran a little rough for about 10 minutes before the water was gone.

Thank you all so much I really hope I haven't made a bad choice daring to be different from my Harley freinds lol

·
6,027 Posts
Thank you all so much I really hope I haven't made a bad choice daring to be different from my Harley freinds lol
We have a bike shop, we ride and love as many Harleys, Triumphs, Ducatis, KTMs, and BMWs as we do Indians (we have a Vintage and a Scout). So far, the two Indians are the best bikes we had ridden straight out of the crate. Perfect, no. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so live in hope ,u do get disappointed when commit to that sort of money and I ride long distance my weekend commute is 1000km lol,just love riding

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Thank you so live in hope ,u do get disappointed when commit to that sort of money and I ride long distance my weekend commute is 1000km lol,just love riding
Keep us in the loop as to what they find wrong. We have many members who ride in the rain and I do not recall any issues such as this.

·
Rider
390 Posts
Hi
Open air filter or stock? Were you cruising down back roads or travelling 60+mph on interstate?

·
Founding member
1,148 Posts
I had a very similar issue a few years back. Water had gotten on the electronics and caused several issues, to include not recognizing what gear it was in... Which caused several issues until I figured that out. Still road though and got me 400 miles home. They ended up replacing my ECU, which got me a 2015 ECU and now I have security on my bike. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Gazlar...welcome to the forum and so very sorry for your trouble...don't give up on the Indian...every bike will have its hiccups and in time this will be a distant memory and perhaps a great story...please keep us in the loop as there is a wealth of knowledge in this forum...

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Ridden over 50K km on my 2015 RM in all sorts of rain, sleet, and even snow. It has never quit or failed to start. I’d say whatever happened is a fluke. I hope it is resolved quickly.

·
6,027 Posts
Ours has the S&S cleaner, which has the exposed filter element. Took in quite a bit of water in a downpour.

·
Silver member
5,032 Posts
Meggie, do you think a "rain sock" would have fixed the issue?

·
Silver member
5,032 Posts
Good answer! LOL. I am taking a trip to the Midwest this summer and was thinking I should have one. You know just to have one for those awesome rumbling thunder storms I might get caught in.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,414 Posts
Good answer! LOL. I am taking a trip to the Midwest this summer and was thinking I should have one. You know just to have one for those awesome rumbling thunder storms I might get caught in.
My rain sock never leaves my saddle bags. When I wash my bike I put the rain sock on and then remove it when I'm done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
5,032 Posts
I'm thinking if I get caught at the campground or something I throw that sucker on just in case and toss a small tarp over the dash cluster to keep her dry. I am hoping rolling along at 60 in the rain would not be an issue, but I am sure I will have some type of rain event between California and Lawrence Kansas, via Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and Ks in mid-summer weather patterns...

Reactions: IMARIDER

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Another thing to check is to see if the battery cables are tight.

Reactions: jdmatthew

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,414 Posts
I'm thinking if I get caught at the campground or something I throw that sucker on just in case and toss a small tarp over the dash cluster to keep her dry. I am hoping rolling along at 60 in the rain would not be an issue, but I am sure I will have some type of rain event between California and Lawrence Kansas, via Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and Ks in mid-summer weather patterns...
Hey pablo94 when you go to Lawrence Ks let me know o know a bbq spot there maybe we can meet up ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 64 Posts