Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the 5,000mi mark and ready to do oil change, belt adjustment etc. Got bike in air to inspect and notice I have a rock imbedded in my belt. Wonderful! I have a new belt I can install but, can't find any good youtube videos or a service man avail. I don't mind buying a new one but, wouldn't get it til later this week. I kinda want to get this done so I can ride before weekend is out. Gonna be NICE here tomorrow!

Can anyone lead me to a good set of instructions or video? Or, if you by chance had a pdf service manual...I'd be grateful!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Bronze member
4,280 Posts
I'm at the 5,000mi mark and ready to do oil change, belt adjustment etc. Got bike in air to inspect and notice I have a rock imbedded in my belt. Wonderful! I have a new belt I can install but, can't find any good youtube videos or a service man avail. I don't mind buying a new one but, wouldn't get it til later this week. I kinda want to get this done so I can ride before weekend is out. Gonna be NICE here tomorrow!

Can anyone lead me to a good set of instructions or video? Or, if you by chance had a pdf service manual...I'd be grateful!

Thanks!

You have to pull the swing arm off to change the belt on Indians.........:cautious::eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the manual, thanks guys! Baron58...yeah, found that out! got it off today, belt replaced and header back on. Ran out of steam. Hopefully I can knock the rest out in a couple evenings this week. What a PITA... Don't know what dealer charges but, if this happens again, I'm gonna find out!

·
Bronze member
4,280 Posts
Got the manual, thanks guys! Baron58...yeah, found that out! got it off today, belt replaced and header back on. Ran out of steam. Hopefully I can knock the rest out in a couple evenings this week. What a PITA... Don't know what dealer charges but, if this happens again, I'm gonna find out!

Yea thats the worst part, is having to pull the swing arm.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ceebass, how do you support your bike when working on the rear end?
Usually I clamp front wheel in on my mc lift. Because I have a "project" taking up that space i did it on floor of my shed this time. I pulled front wheel into my condor wheel chock that is mounted to floor and put a ratchet strap around rim and chock. I put a couple of straps on front crash guard and ran them to eye hooks mounted into wall. Essentially supporting wheel forward and down. I'll try and post a pic here to clarify. Then i used a box jack under engine with 2x6 between jack and engine so as not to mar anything. Then jacker up! Very stable.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Usually I clamp front wheel in on my mc lift. Because I have a "project" taking up that space i did it on floor of my shed this time. I pulled front wheel into my condor wheel chock that is mounted to floor and put a ratchet strap around rim and chock. I put a couple of straps on front crash guard and ran them to eye hooks mounted into wall. Essentially supporting wheel forward and down. I'll try and post a pic here to clarify. Then i used a box jack under engine with 2x6 between jack and engine so as not to mar anything. Then jacker up! Very stable.
Better pic...

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,698 Posts
When this happened to my old Road King‘s belt, the bill was about $1,000...and that was about 15 years ago. You literally have to disassemble the bike to change the belt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When this happened to my old Road King‘s belt, the bill was about $1,000...and that was about 15 years ago. You literally have to disassemble the bike to change the belt.
Yeah, you're right on disassembling the whole thing. I've changed my mind on dealer though. Now that I've done it, I know what to expect. Don't look forward to having to do this again but, would probably tackle it myself... Since my bike came with 2 spare belts, this and next repair wouldnt cost me anything but time.

Btw, to anyone considering this, getting swingarm out wasnt terrible.Back IN required 2 sets of hands...

·
Bronze member
2,698 Posts
Yeah, you're right on disassembling the whole thing. I've changed my mind on dealer though. Now that I've done it, I know what to expect. Don't look forward to having to do this again but, would probably tackle it myself... Since my bike came with 2 spare belts, this and next repair wouldnt cost me anything but time.

Btw, to anyone considering this, getting swingarm out wasnt terrible.Back IN required 2 sets of hands...
What was your total labor hours to remove and reinstall?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What was your total labor hours to remove and reinstall?
Keep in mind it was spread out over a few days (and extended a bit with some cussing) but, I would estimate about 6hrs total. I could likely do it next time in about 4 I think.

·
Bronze member
2,271 Posts
Wow, glad you got it done. Not going to bash chain drives ever again.

Reactions: ceebass68
1 - 15 of 15 Posts