Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to start my Cheiftain (2018Limited), and it starts, throws code and is running on one cylinder. Bike has less than 500 miles on it.Charge battery as it has been sitting for a couple of weeks, starts fine, code cleared rides great no issue. Receive safety recalls from IMC stating that there is a flash that needs doing and right side control cube issue. Dealer says parts on back order(as always) gotta wait a month. Two weeks later, go to ride, key fob will not open bags. Check charge, a little low so back to the charger. Bike still does not recognize key fob. Replace battery in key fob even though old one seems strong (better to eliminate cheap stuff) still not recognized.Take Harley instead. Return home that evening and the light goes on, there is a PIN that can be used if the fob is not present.Look up in owners manual how to start using pin.as soon as PIN is entered, the bike shuts down, then reloads electronics, welcome screen, etc.followed by another clip then reload, then again. 20 minutes later I have disconnected the ground cable as the start-clip situation has repeated itself dozens of times, the power button is useless and fear entire ECM will/is fried.Call dealership who inform me that "parasitic" electrical issue is one of the reasons for the re-flash but have no idea about the load-reload issue.
Anyone else having issues of this nature? Would love to hear from you what happened, fixes, etc.

·
Bronze member
2,547 Posts
I seem to recall reading that to reset the ECM, unhook the battery and let sit for 45 min. Not sure how long you left the battery cable unhooked - but if only a short time, you may want to leave it unhooked longer. Outside of that, I can't think of another home-remedy solution.

·
Silver member
4,977 Posts
I would have your dealer take care of the I-18-02 service bulletin regardless of the cube switch. That fixes the drain on your battery and is an important update. Here they are for your review. You may have likely killed a cell in your battery so they can replace that too. Not sure when you bought the bike, but if it was recently this should have been done before you left the showroom floor! The dates are misleading on the paperwork as I think the dealers just got the updated file for the Digital Wrench software sometime in April...

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thank the both of you for the information.Tiger GA, I did not leave it off for long the first time, but it has been disconnected since. I will try it again.Pablo94, Thank you for both notices, have contacted dealership a month ago regarding cube and parasitic draw, but every thing is on back order, so was awaiting dealership to call me in.

·
Rider
681 Posts
Have a 2018 as well, no issues, but did have all the recalls done. I think i read where you can pull the 30amp fuse rather than digging down into the battery.

Reactions: Motorhead

·
Banned
249 Posts
I read on this or another forum that if the battery and / or charge are not providing enough power the bike goes into limp home mode (one cylinder). My 2018 had a bad battery and would not hold a charge, even when riding. You may want to have the battery and the charging system checked and insist on the battery being changed.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
So I go to start my Cheiftain (2018Limited), and it starts, throws code and is running on one cylinder. Bike has less than 500 miles on it.Charge battery as it has been sitting for a couple of weeks, starts fine, code cleared rides great no issue. Receive safety recalls from IMC stating that there is a flash that needs doing and right side control cube issue. Dealer says parts on back order(as always) gotta wait a month. Two weeks later, go to ride, key fob will not open bags. Check charge, a little low so back to the charger. Bike still does not recognize key fob. Replace battery in key fob even though old one seems strong (better to eliminate cheap stuff) still not recognized.Take Harley instead. Return home that evening and the light goes on, there is a PIN that can be used if the fob is not present.Look up in owners manual how to start using pin.as soon as PIN is entered, the bike shuts down, then reloads electronics, welcome screen, etc.followed by another clip then reload, then again. 20 minutes later I have disconnected the ground cable as the start-clip situation has repeated itself dozens of times, the power button is useless and fear entire ECM will/is fried.Call dealership who inform me that "parasitic" electrical issue is one of the reasons for the re-flash but have no idea about the load-reload issue.
Anyone else having issues of this nature? Would love to hear from you what happened, fixes, etc.
Last time I had that issue, the battery was too low to actually start the bike, and the drain on the battery would cause the RC to reboot.

·
Registered
951 Posts
My God , guys … reading this post makes my skin crawl … !!! I feel bad for all of you that have these problems …
I can`t help but wonder what has gone wrong with Polaris on the 2017s and 18s ? Mine is 2016 Chieftain and I have not encountered a single problem with the bike , either electronic or mechanical … I had the dealer to do the install of the Stage II cams , the lowering suspension kit and also the removal of the cat converter by replacing the header with a non cat converter provided by the dealer , so the warranty was not affected , as I was assured by the dealer`s owner himself .
After that , I installed the PVCX software by myself , following Fuel Moto instructions … again , no problems at all .
The bike has now 4,100 miles and it works just like the first day … perfectly .
What can be happening with these bikes that are causing all these problems ? My original battery is also working correctly , no problems with it , although I keep it hooked to a tender thru the pigtail (that came with the bike) if I don`t use for a few days , but so far , it works great .
Can it be that touchscreen display that is disrupting everything ? Man, if it is , I am so glad that mine doesn`t have that . I don't even like it , anyway … I find it too bulky and square for my taste . Navigation ? I use my iPhone navigation , thank you very much .

·
Banned
249 Posts
My God , guys … reading this post makes my skin crawl … !!! I feel bad for all of you that have these problems …
I can`t help but wonder what has gone wrong with Polaris on the 2017s and 18s ? Mine is 2016 Chieftain and I have not encountered a single problem with the bike , either electronic or mechanical … I had the dealer to do the install of the Stage II cams , the lowering suspension kit and also the removal of the cat converter by replacing the header with a non cat converter provided by the dealer , so the warranty was not affected , as I was assured by the dealer`s owner himself .
After that , I installed the PVCX software by myself , following Fuel Moto instructions … again , no problems at all .
The bike has now 4,100 miles and it works just like the first day … perfectly .
What can be happening with these bikes that are causing all these problems ? My original battery is also working correctly , no problems with it , although I keep it hooked to a tender thru the pigtail (that came with the bike) if I don`t use for a few days , but so far it works great .
It's really not a big deal. Rumor is Indian was shipped a bad batch of batteries from their supplier...that's it. Once my battery was replaced (under warranty), there were no issues. It was a little difficult getting Indian to actually replace the battery. I had to go to the dealer 2 or 3 times with the problem, but it got done.

The only other issues I've had were Indian upgrade items that had I left the bike stock I would not have had.

·
Bronze member
2,161 Posts
2017 Limited here with only 5000 miles of smiles so far. Battery and/or loose connections can be a source of all kind of issues. Whatever the OP is going thru I hope it isn't too major and that the dealer gets you taken care of asap. Pull the part(s) off another bike if necessary, that'd be customer service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have a 2018 as well, no issues, but did have all the recalls done. I think i read where you can pull the 30amp fuse rather than digging down into the battery.
30Amp fuse is harder to get to than the negative Bat. terminal, have to remove bat to get to fuse.Poor design.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read on this or another forum that if the battery and / or charge are not providing enough power the bike goes into limp home mode (one cylinder). My 2018 had a bad battery and would not hold a charge, even when riding. You may want to have the battery and the charging system checked and insist on the battery being changed.
am planning on having them change batt.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The first 1500 miles on my 2017 Chieftain Ltd had all of the above issues. Battery and solenoid replaced, refresh complete, rode near 2000 miles to-from France since work completed with no issues. I had a 2014 Chieftain and put 25k miles on it prior to this and was disappointed with the 2017 problems but my confidence is fully restored now that everything is sorted. My dealership are great, never a debate, just a "let's get it sorted" attitude.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There are no parts needed for the I-18-02 parasitic battery drain problem. It is just a computer reflash and really does seem to take care of the problem. I have intentionally left mine off the battery tender since riding back from FL in early April, and it has been fine.
My dealer received the switch cube in a week and I am having that done tomorrow even tho I have not had a problem with it on my 18.
You need a different dealer!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Switched dealerships as I have had it with the one I bought it from.They called me a week after having it, to find out what the issues are. New dealer seems to be on it, claims they will work on it in two days as they are slammed, I can live with that.Now we will see.Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update: Switched dealerships as I have had it with the one I bought it from.They called me a week after having it, to find out what the issues are. New dealer seems to be on it, claims they will work on it in two days as they are slammed, I can live with that.Now we will see.Fingers crossed.
I have a 2018 Chieftain Limited, I asked about the newest reflash and they said its for a battery drain problem I "wouldn't notice any difference". Like hell I won't, the dam thing won't return to a normal idle, most of the time slowing for an intersection let go of throttle and she quits. I have to hold on to the throttle and release it slowly til it's at idle. Dam dealer says they can't diagnose the problem, "it's a program they have to download and can't fix it". I had them open a case with Indian about it, I'm not holding my breath. This is the dealer I bought it from too. I wish there were more dealers around here, I'm in southern Ontario, two hours to the dealer. They can't even plug in their "electric wrench" to diagnose anything, total lack of proper training. I'm sorry I settled for an Indian, thinking of trading for a bike that runs as advertised.

·
Banned
249 Posts
I have a 2018 Chieftain Limited, I asked about the newest reflash and they said its for a battery drain problem I "wouldn't notice any difference". Like hell I won't, the dam thing won't return to a normal idle, most of the time slowing for an intersection let go of throttle and she quits. I have to hold on to the throttle and release it slowly til it's at idle. Dam dealer says they can't diagnose the problem, "it's a program they have to download and can't fix it". I had them open a case with Indian about it, I'm not holding my breath. This is the dealer I bought it from too. I wish there were more dealers around here, I'm in southern Ontario, two hours to the dealer. They can't even plug in their "electric wrench" to diagnose anything, total lack of proper training. I'm sorry I settled for an Indian, thinking of trading for a bike that runs as advertised.
Unfortunately dealers are hit or miss. The whole motorcycle industry is in a recession of sorts. There is lots of turnover and it makes it hard to keep good people. Added to that, sometimes getting Indian to do warranty work is not as easy as it should be for a brand trying to establish itself. They should be bending over backwards. I had to go back to the dealer numerous times to complain about the battery before Indian would replace it.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
it is, literally, one plug. the same plug we use for the PVCX.
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
it is, literally, one plug. the same plug we use for the PVCX. The idle issue sounds like a tune issue, not a battery issue. The battery recall fixes the issue with battery drain and the ECU looking for certain gateway voltage levels from sensors during starting.
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
WELCOME to the forum! Sorry to hear about your trouble, this problem just start?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts