Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas gonna make this short hopefully.
My 2018 bobber randomly shut off and on with the display lights/headlights flickering while on the highway. I pulled over and attempted to turn her back on but at the first key turn without the turnover button on everything is flickering and once I hit start everything turns off and I can hear clicking coming from the fuse box and what I assume is the starter. I've swapped around the fuses, checked ground, and battery terminals but everything looks good. I haven't had a good chance to dig deep but I'm hoping for some suggestions. The key this is as soon as I turn the key without trying to start it is that the disply and lights are going crazy. Where would you guys/gals start?

-Sad man

·
Silver member
4,921 Posts
Click, Click, Click is usually a dead battery. So either your battery took a shit, your VR failed, or your stator failed. I would guess it is a combination of your Voltage Regulator failing and killing your battery.

These modern bikes won't run on faulty batteries. The days of push starting it and making it home are a thing of the past. The bike will shutdown to protect your VCM and your ECM and motor before anything else...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,037 Posts
Ok fellas gonna make this short hopefully.
My 2018 bobber randomly shut off and on with the display lights/headlights flickering while on the highway. I pulled over and attempted to turn her back on but at the first key turn without the turnover button on everything is flickering and once I hit start everything turns off and I can hear clicking coming from the fuse box and what I assume is the starter. I've swapped around the fuses, checked ground, and battery terminals but everything looks good. I haven't had a good chance to dig deep but I'm hoping for some suggestions. The key this is as soon as I turn the key without trying to start it is that the disply and lights are going crazy. Where would you guys/gals start?

-Sad man
My first thought was battery as well. If it does that while in motion, that leads me to think something else might be the root cause. Usually the bad battery will keep it from starting, but since there was flickering while in motion, and then again with only the key turned on, something else is going on.

Check your battery first. Hell, take it out, put it on a charger, maybe even load test it. While you have it out, carefully check all connections to the ecm. Make sure they are all tight. Look around for kinked/melted wires under the tank if you're comfortable doing that, as well as the ignition wires behind the ignition housing. Slap the battery back in. If it keeps doing what it's doing, go see your dealer.

·
Banned
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out my 2nd battery basically destroyed itself during the ride. On to a non Polaris battery now! I didn't think there was any chance it was a battery issue since it was while riding but I learned some shit about batteries today. Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well, at least it didn't short out and catch fire and start the garage on fire like my wife's 2014 brand new Camry did back in 2014. Oh, I know all about batteries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts