Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Please advise and give me some insight if anyone has experience or researched using the Motogadget M-Unit Blue or Basic to simplify the ongoing issues of installing aftermarket products on the "oh so special fancy dancy" scout bobber. I have burned through a lot of money purchasing products that claim to work for the scout bobber when replacing OEM lights and turn-signals to newer LED applications. However, as previously mentioned in another post I'm left with products that do not work and are non-returnable. The M-Unit device seems to be a complete solution for dealing with aftermarket wiring issues. Has anyone used this device in a scout bobber? I'm not looking at replacing the entire wiring harness of my less than 1-year-old bobber, especially after reviewing the entire wiring diagram in the Indian Scout service manual. From my understanding, the device could be used to replace the factory fuse box. Creating my own wiring diagram and building a new wiring harness does not seem to be the greatest issue, it's more the issue of ripping out all the original factory wiring to be replaced with my new custom one. Can I possibly just build a new wiring harness with the aftermarket parts/components/devices that I want to use and simply tie-in using the motogadget m-unit? Any insight or information is always greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've Ping'd the guys at MotoGadget regarding the Scout Bobber a few months ago, I was thinking of using it to replace all the control on the front of the bike with simple buttons. They responded saying it was not a good idea as the Bobber is using a Canbus system and the unit is more for Older bikes giving them modern capabilities. That being said, having done my fair share of minor electrical mods on my Bobber, and coming from a back ground of doing custom electrical installs in cars. I would strongly advice against trying to redo any electrical on the Bobber in the hopes of getting it to work standard after market parts. The Canbus system is so sensitive, that recently I put by bike down and damaged my after market right rear indicator. the mounting bolt snapped, but the cables looked good and the light worked. I taped it up and kept going. Little while later I got a CHKENG on my speedo, checked the error code, not only did it tell me there was a fault with my brake light, but i was able to tell me there was a ground short. Took off tape and inspected the wires a bit better, and sure enough there was a small bit of the insulation pulled away. Taped that up and error went away. Know that the Canbus is also responsible for running my injectors and all other aspects of the engine. I am definitely not trying to pull it out anymore.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just trying to get across how serious messing with the CANBUS system can be, that being said. feel free to ping me with what ever aftermarket mods you're trying to make, I might be able to help and let you know if it can work before you go off and buy it. In the process of trying to help another member here installed an LED strip for Run/Brake and Turn on his Bobber. You will have to be patient with me, as I have . European Bobber and there are some minor wiring differences between the the US/Canada version.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've Ping'd the guys at MotoGadget regarding the Scout Bobber a few months ago, I was thinking of using it to replace all the control on the front of the bike with simple buttons. They responded saying it was not a good idea as the Bobber is using a Canbus system and the unit is more for Older bikes giving them modern capabilities. That being said, having done my fair share of minor electrical mods on my Bobber, and coming from a back ground of doing custom electrical installs in cars. I would strongly advice against trying to redo any electrical on the Bobber in the hopes of getting it to work standard after market parts. The Canbus system is so sensitive, that recently I put by bike down and damaged my after market right rear indicator. the mounting bolt snapped, but the cables looked good and the light worked. I taped it up and kept going. Little while later I got a CHKENG on my speedo, checked the error code, not only did it tell me there was a fault with my brake light, but i was able to tell me there was a ground short. Took off tape and inspected the wires a bit better, and sure enough there was a small bit of the insulation pulled away. Taped that up and error went away. Know that the Canbus is also responsible for running my injectors and all other aspects of the engine. I am definitely not trying to pull it out anymore.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just trying to get across how serious messing with the CANBUS system can be, that being said. feel free to ping me with what ever aftermarket mods you're trying to make, I might be able to help and let you know if it can work before you go off and buy it. In the process of trying to help another member here installed an LED strip for Run/Brake and Turn on his Bobber. You will have to be patient with me, as I have . European Bobber and there are some minor wiring differences between the the US/Canada version.
Respect to DJCUTNPASTE, take hede to his warning. This guy pulled out magic to fix my problems with the ‘18 Bobber wiring scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yea, CANBUS/ECU is going to make that a nightmare.

A bit overkill to get LED's working isn't it? Sides, what LED's are you trying to make work? Bobber already has LED lighting aside from the headlight but that's a $50 plug and headlight off Amazon. What is it you were trying to do exactly?

Also, you said you did't want to get rid of the wiring...

I'm not looking at replacing the entire wiring harness of my less than 1-year-old bobber, especially after reviewing the entire wiring diagram in the Indian Scout service manual.
Then went on to say you're planning on replacing it with custom wiring?

Creating my own wiring diagram and building a new wiring harness does not seem to be the greatest issue, it's more the issue of ripping out all the original factory wiring to be replaced with my new custom one.

·
Registered
228 Posts

A bit overkill to get LED's working isn't it? Sides, what LED's are you trying to make work? Bobber already has LED lighting aside from the headlight but that's a $50 plug and headlight off Amazon. What is it you were trying to do exactly?

I feel his pain, while yes the bobber is using LED lights, they also have the lights hooked up on the CANBUS system, so regular aftermarket lights will have multiple 12v positive lines for each circuit and a common ground, on the Bobber, it uses a common 12V+ and then pulses the ground for turn signal, or makes it Solid for Brake. the run light is a separate circuit. So to use separated aftermarket lights, you need relays to swap the Turn/Brake ground to positive. Trying to use a Single LED strip for Run/Brake and Turn is even more difficult because the US/Canada Bobber have the brake and turn on the same circuit, so if we were to wire them to the LED strip like how we did the separated lights, when the left indicator was turned on the left light and the brake light would activate making it look more like a pulsing stop than a turn, could get dangerous.

·
Senior member / gold
6,413 Posts
I feel his pain, while yes the bobber is using LED lights, they also have the lights hooked up on the CANBUS system, so regular aftermarket lights will have multiple 12v positive lines for each circuit and a common ground, on the Bobber, it uses a common 12V+ and then pulses the ground for turn signal, or makes it Solid for Brake. the run light is a separate circuit. So to use separated aftermarket lights, you need relays to swap the Turn/Brake ground to positive. Trying to use a Single LED strip for Run/Brake and Turn is even more difficult because the US/Canada Bobber have the brake and turn on the same circuit, so if we were to wire them to the LED strip like how we did the separated lights, when the left indicator was turned on the left light and the brake light would activate making it look more like a pulsing stop than a turn, could get dangerous.
He doesn't own a Scout, but @30PlusRetlaw wired in some LED's to his Chief. I know he had to use some special relays to make them woork. Give him a shout. He might have even posted a tutorial on it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just a thought if you do have a service manual for the bobber maybe take some photos for djcutnpaste. We did it going in blind haha, I'm sure it will help more then I'll hurt

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Hello everyone,
Please advise and give me some insight if anyone has experience or researched using the Motogadget M-Unit Blue or Basic to simplify the ongoing issues of installing aftermarket products on the "oh so special fancy dancy" scout bobber. I have burned through a lot of money purchasing products that claim to work for the scout bobber when replacing OEM lights and turn-signals to newer LED applications. However, as previously mentioned in another post I'm left with products that do not work and are non-returnable. The M-Unit device seems to be a complete solution for dealing with aftermarket wiring issues. Has anyone used this device in a scout bobber? I'm not looking at replacing the entire wiring harness of my less than 1-year-old bobber, especially after reviewing the entire wiring diagram in the Indian Scout service manual. From my understanding, the device could be used to replace the factory fuse box. Creating my own wiring diagram and building a new wiring harness does not seem to be the greatest issue, it's more the issue of ripping out all the original factory wiring to be replaced with my new custom one. Can I possibly just build a new wiring harness with the aftermarket parts/components/devices that I want to use and simply tie-in using the motogadget m-unit? Any insight or information is always greatly appreciated.
Call up Revival Cycles in Austin. I recall seeing somewhere that they did it. They sell lots of these systems and are legit builders.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Call up Revival Cycles in Austin. I recall seeing somewhere that they did it. They sell lots of these systems and are legit builders.
Meggie,
Thank you for the feedback and advice. Funny enough I had just finished watching basically every tech video that Stephen at Revival Cycles has posted on youtube. It was from watching the Revival videos on the Motogadget M-unit that spurred the idea and interest. However, I wanted to throw the idea out to all our community experts and get some feedback before even considering investing in any more magical solutions.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Respect to DJCUTNPASTE, take hede to his warning. This guy pulled out magic to fix my problems with the ‘18 Bobber wiring scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Riteonjohn,
First, let me say thank you for posting your feedback on these issues. Secondly, big props for your youtube videos of the progress and transformation of your Indian Scout Bobber it's looking mean brother. I have also stripped away most of the frame/fenders and going for a cleaner bobber style much like yours. Keep up the great work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a thought if you do have a service manual for the bobber maybe take some photos for djcutnpaste. We did it going in blind haha, I'm sure it will help more then I'll hurt
Mr. Nguyen,
Thank you for the advice as I'm sure djc&p knows his stuff and has provided some great and valuable insight on this community board.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Roadkill,
Thank you for your feedback and related questions regarding my ongoing electrical issues. To clarify I do not wish or desire to tear out my less than a year old wiring harness. Basically, I have removed front and rear lights including the license plate light. Ideally, I would like to install handlebar end turn signals and was hoping to install a single strip LED multipurpose light underneath the seat. I have purchased two different LED strip lighting that claims will serve as run/brake/turn lighting. After watching youtube for basically half of a day and finishing off a sixer I found myself contemplating using the Motogadget M-unit device to solve my current electrical issues. Additionally, the combination of advice from Revival Cycles videos and that fella from Saturday's Wrench (youtube) got me to thinking about replacing my current wiring harness for a custom built one that I would tackle head-on. However, I have continued to research the wiring diagram provided in the scout service manual and have wisely reconsidered such a risky move.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have time to dig into the schematics at the moment. I do electrical design for a living. It sounds like a rat's nest I don't want to put in the time to figure out until I have a mod I want to do myself.

I've been digging into the CANBUS system itself looking how to make Torque or a similar app work with the Scout. Some very unusual stuff going on there too. Polaris uses a canned CANBUS system across most of its motorsports using some strange protocols on the communication. Very quickly turning into a more trouble than its worth situation. The Polaris RAZR uses a similar CANBUS system and they've had some success getting readings off the ECU but no ability to talk back and forth yet that I've discovered.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Roadkill,
Thank you for your feedback and related questions regarding my ongoing electrical issues. To clarify I do not wish or desire to tear out my less than a year old wiring harness. Basically, I have removed front and rear lights including the license plate light. Ideally, I would like to install handlebar end turn signals and was hoping to install a single strip LED multipurpose light underneath the seat. I have purchased two different LED strip lighting that claims will serve as run/brake/turn lighting. After watching youtube for basically half of a day and finishing off a sixer I found myself contemplating using the Motogadget M-unit device to solve my current electrical issues. Additionally, the combination of advice from Revival Cycles videos and that fella from Saturday's Wrench (youtube) got me to thinking about replacing my current wiring harness for a custom built one that I would tackle head-on. However, I have continued to research the wiring diagram provided in the scout service manual and have wisely reconsidered such a risky move.
Ok, if you guys are still having this problem next summer, I'll jump in. I want to do bar end turn lights (with running light capability) too but it's pretty far down my list at the moment.

Maybe you guys will have all this worked out by the time I get around to it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

djc&p,
Big thank you for your time responding to this ridiculous situation regarding my Indian Scout Bobber and my lighting issues. I am in no hurry to jump the gun and rip out a perfectly good wiring harness that is less than a year old. As I mentioned in another post (roadkill) I have removed my front and rear signals including the license plate light. I still plan on installing handlebar turn signals and am still wanting to install one of the two LED strip lights that would be mounted under my solo seat. However, since checking my state regulations regarding lighting and turn signals I may just bypass rear turn signal lights altogether. I know, I know, not on the side of safety. My new plan is to install a rear run/brake light atop my rear fender or underneath my seat using the Indian Headdress light. The idea came from the crew in Paris, France at Tank Machine specifically the Scout 240-Skull.

·
Registered
756 Posts
djc&p,
However, since checking my state regulations regarding lighting and turn signals I may just bypass rear turn signal lights altogether.
This is because hand signals are still considered valid turn indication. You'll still be required to indicate a turn or lane change, you'll just have to do it with hand signals or get pulled over.

99% (figure pulled from by bum but seems accurate from experience) of drivers have no clue what those signals mean and I wouldn't trust my life to the cager behind me understanding them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, if you guys are still having this problem next summer, I'll jump in. I want to do bar end turn lights (with running light capability) too but it's pretty far down my list at the moment.

Maybe you guys will have all this worked out by the time I get around to it.
Just my opinion but I purchased handlebar end lights from Rizoma along with their mirrors. Now I have not installed them yet or even powered them up but I have already been regretting not purchasing the bar-end lights by Motogadget. The Motogadget lights seem much more compact and flush, just cleaner and sharper looking. Again it's just my opinion, I'll provide some feedback on the lights if I ever figure out my handlebar dilemma.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He doesn't own a Scout, but @30PlusRetlaw wired in some LED's to his Chief. I know he had to use some special relays to make them woork. Give him a shout. He might have even posted a tutorial on it.
Chief,
Thank you for the information and possible leads. I will take a look and report back if I have any success.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yea, pretty squirrely...

Front Turn Signal Operation
The turn signal / hazard light system does not utilize a
conventional “flasher module”, but instead receives a
grounding signal from the ECM. Power to the turn
signals is provided via the IGNITION CIRCUIT
BREAKER located in the main fuse box. Turn Signal
INPUTS & OUTPUTS can be located in the ECM
Connector Map and Fuse Application Chart.

LED Tail / Brake Light Operation
The multiple LED tail / brake lamp functions much like
a conventional incandescent tail / brake lamp. LED
lights require a regulated current supply to prevent
damage, so a current regulation circuit is incorporated
inside the tail lamp unit. Direct 12 volt battery power
can be applied directly to the brake or tail lamp wire
for testing purposes, but polarity MUST be observed
or the LEDs will be permanently damaged.

Tail / Brake Light Power Supply:
When the motorcycle is powered ON, battery voltage
is delivered to the TAIL / BRAKE LEDs on the BN / PINK
wire from the Headlight Relay. Current through each
TAIL LED (WHITE wire) is limited (inside tail lamp
unit) to approximately 250 mA.

Tail / Brake Light Ground Signal:
The front and rear brake light switches provide a path
to ground through the Load / Over Module to the ECM
via BLACK / YELLOW wire (rear brake switch) and
YELLOW / VIOLET wire (front brake switch). When the
ECM receives a grounding signal from either of the
brake switches, ground is provided to the tail / brake
light LED, thus illuminating the light.

When the motorcycle is powered ON, the ECM
provides a ground path to the tail light LED, thus
illuminating the light.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I'll take a stab a common sense stab at this...

Sounds like rear running lights needs to be spliced into the BN/PI wire. The rear turn signals need to be spliced into the BK/YL wire (provided you're not drawing more than 250 mA total.) You'd still need switchback equipped LED's to get both functions.

Front signals, again need to replace with switchback LED's, then turn lights spliced into the Yl/VI wire. Running light spliced into the headlight wire.

I'm assuming that's all been tried and y'all ran into a need for relay modules for some reason?

·
Senior member / gold
6,413 Posts
I believe there is a tutorial on the forum, either from @30PlusRetlaw or by another forum member, documenting the wire-in procedure of the relays to make the LEDs to function properly.
I'll see if I can find the link for you.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts