Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I finally bought a Garmin GPS. Is there a way to connect it to the 2018 Bobber to have power? I found an accessory on the Indian website but not sure if that's actually needed or not. I already have a front fairing from Memphis Shades so the wiring is easily accessible. How can I connect it to power the GPS?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Plug it in?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Is it USB powered? The newer Scouts have USB connection on the right hand side of the speedometer. My 2018 did not, so I installed the accessory kit from Indian.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys.
I didn't get the GPS yet, I should have it in a day or two, but wanted to get the bike ready.
I've never had a GPS before.
My 2018 Bobber doesn't have a USB port.
The manual for the Garmin Zumo XT looks like it comes with in the box a "Powdered Motorcycle Mount" which has a red and black wire for a "10 to 30 Vdc system power"
This this mean I can plug this into the bike as-is?
I looked in the wiring harness but didn't see anywhere obvious I could do that.
Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks guys.
I didn't get the GPS yet, I should have it in a day or two, but wanted to get the bike ready.
I've never had a GPS before.
My 2018 Bobber doesn't have a USB port.
The manual for the Garmin Zumo XT looks like it comes with in the box a "Powdered Motorcycle Mount" which has a red and black wire for a "10 to 30 Vdc system power"
This this mean I can plug this into the bike as-is?
I looked in the wiring harness but didn't see anywhere obvious I could do that.
Thank you for your help!
yes hook it to the battery but turn off when not in use it will slowely drain battery I have a U Clear head set in my helmet it is bluetooth So i can hear GPS or stream music.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes hook it to the battery but turn off when not in use it will slowely drain battery I have a U Clear head set in my helmet it is bluetooth So i can hear GPS or stream music.
So I have to run that wire all the way to the battery?
That seems complicated?
Is there any way to connect it to something that's already in the wiring harness?

·
Registered
406 Posts
On my FTR ran aux wiring for heated gear from the battery side of starter solenoid and grnd to a frame connection.Battery box was to tight fitting to easily run new unswitched wiring to.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealer installed an aftermarket horn for me that is mounted near the front of the bike. I wonder if I can use that wiring to my advantage here

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wiring to the battery isn't too difficult, I put a Battery Tender harness and a harness for heated gear on my Scout. You can either wire directly to the battery posts, or there are also positive/negative connection points right under the seat you can screw to.

I wouldn't want to cut into the OEM wiring. That way if you ever want to sell, you can strip your bike right back to stock.

If it were me, I'd just go ahead and run my own wires from the battery up to the front of the bike and possibly into the headlight bucket, with a fuse somewhere in-line. Then you'd have a place that you can hook up whatever handlebar-mounted accessories you need to power. You can probably lift up the fuel tank and run a wire alongside the existing harness without having to disconnect the fuel lines.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The Zumo comes with a powered mount you hardwire into your battery. You then clip the unti into the mount, so you don’t have to deal with USB at all.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. It doesn't seem like the wire is long enough to reach from the battery to the front end of the bike. What kind of wires do I need to buy to extend this? Is it hard to get the tank up? I heard they were a real pain

·
Registered
961 Posts
I’m not sure. I believe some of the newer models have a switched wire in the headlight you can tap into.

Is there a USB port? If so you can just wire up a USB connection to the SAE connector with an inexpensive connector.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's no USB connection on my bike but there's an Indian accessory I can buy... It's not cheap tho but may be cheaper than paying the shop to run the wire to the battery for me

·
Registered
455 Posts
I put 2 like these on my bikes - work great. Just make sure the thing is switched, otherwise it might drain your battery. I bet it's much cheaper than the one from Indian :D :geek:(y):cool:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I put 2 like these on my bikes - work great. Just make sure the thing is switched, otherwise it might drain your battery. I bet it's much cheaper than the one from Indian :D :geek:(y):cool:
View attachment 592494
wow, awesome, thank you.
I was looking for a solution like this.

Is there some kind of Adapter that would convert SAE (which I guess is available in the wiring harness already?) to the red/black wires that the GPS can connect to?
I tried looking on amazon but I'm not sure what the technical term is to search for.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Great 👍 I don’t know about any adapters, but take it an auto or hardware store and see what fits

·
Registered
455 Posts
I ran the wire on the left side under the tank (zip tied it to the original harness) to right under the tank where I found an SAE pigtail to plug it in. Not sure if it is or was standard, mine is a 2016, and I bought it used a couple years ago.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks man. Did you have to lift the tank up, or you think.its possible I can pull it through without doing that?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts