Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my 2017 Vintage to work today, dropped off a few things and returned to leave. All power came on, but when hit the starter it was crickets and I mean absolutely nothing. No discharge/dimming seen with the lights or dashboard. Any immediate suggestions would be greatly appreciated - do not want to leave my bike at work. It probably wouldn't be there or intact tomorrow. No trailers available until tomorrow.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
Start checking all your grounds and fuses.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Yes check all connections. Also, did you try to start it with the kickstand down or up? The reason I ask is because the safety sensor which won’t let the bike start if kickstand down and bike in gear, will go bad sometimes. Try starting it holding in the clutch.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Good suggestions. Check to see if security system is active. Sometimes they don't recognize your key fob. You will see the red key icon. Try your rider code on the turn signal switches.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All great suggestions. Kick stand was up when attempting to start. Will have to get the manual out to see fuse location, etc. The only thing I've ever had to do to this bike is start it, ride it, change oil and filter, check tires, ride some more, repeat. Therefore, my knowledge as of today is minimal.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
All great suggestions. Kick stand was up when attempting to start. Will have to get the manual out to see fuse location, etc. The only thing I've ever had to do to this bike is start it, ride it, change oil and filter, check tires, ride some more, repeat. Therefore, my knowledge as of today is minimal.
Key fob.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny you should mention this. Just looked for the FOB and cannot find it.

Now, if I was able to start the bike at home and ride it to work, the key fob MUST BE ON ME for the bike to continue running - is that correct?

If the bike would continue to run, then that tells me the fob was in my other jacket next to my bike when I initially started it and left the house.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Look at your bike display... If it cannot find your fob, and the security system is activated - no start. Use your rider code to bypass.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I feel like a complete idiot. CAlled my wife and had her rifle through the pockets of my other jacket - BINGO!! Key fob is in the jacket at home.

What I learned today:

1. ALWAYS check for the key fob prior to leaving your home base.
  2. ALWAYS have your rider pin stored somewhere that you will always have it in case #1 occurs
  3. The motorcycle will operate when initially started as long as the key fob is in close proximity
  4. The motorcycle will run as long as the fob is present upon starting. Once turned off, it will not restart.
  5. ALWAYS thank the good folks on this forum for being helpful and kind when you truly expect to get a ration stupidity
Thanks to all you folks for taking time to help. Sorry to have wasted your time.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Well, I feel like a complete idiot. CAlled my wife and had her rifle through the pockets of my other jacket - BINGO!! Key fob is in the jacket at home.

What I learned today:

1. ALWAYS check for the key fob prior to leaving your home base.
  2. ALWAYS have your rider pin stored somewhere that you will always have it in case #1 occurs
  3. The motorcycle will operate when initially started as long as the key fob is in close proximity
  4. The motorcycle will run as long as the fob is present upon starting. Once turned off, it will not restart.
  5. ALWAYS thank the good folks on this forum for being helpful and kind when you truly expect to get a ration stupidity
Thanks to all you folks for taking time to help. Sorry to have wasted your time.
It is always a good day when we can learn something - especially if it doesn't cause any hurt or damages.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
S.....happens.

You're back to NORMAL:)

:D

Reactions: Bobby jesus

·
Founding member
2,059 Posts
Put your Rider PIN and your Master PIN into your phone (I store mine under the contact for my Indian dealer. I also store the pdf of the user's manual on my phone so I can look up things like tire pressures, fuse locations, error codes, etc..

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put your Rider PIN and your Master PIN into your phone (I store mine under the contact for my Indian dealer. I also store the pdf of the user's manual on my phone so I can look up things like tire pressures, fuse locations, error codes, etc..
Great! Thanks or the suggestions!

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Anything deemed important is in a 'note' labeled Indian. All that you mentioned, is there, and a whole lot more. It makes life so easy.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, more great suggestions. In addition to the ones already listed, I'm going to have this information laminated on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper to keep in my saddle bags just in case my cell phone dies, nonfunctional or forgotten. Now, I know this is a risk with the pin and master pin being part of the info, but I believe, in my case, it would be highly unlikely to ever be away from the bike and risk the information being taken from my bike. Perhaps if I secure it to the inside outer panel of the saddlebag there wouldn't be as much risk.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Yep, more great suggestions. In addition to the ones already listed, I'm going to have this information laminated on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper to keep in my saddle bags just in case my cell phone dies, nonfunctional or forgotten. Now, I know this is a risk with the pin and master pin being part of the info, but I believe, in my case, it would be highly unlikely to ever be away from the bike and risk the information being taken from my bike. Perhaps if I secure it to the inside outer panel of the saddlebag there wouldn't be as much risk.
Do not record your master pin or ever keep it with the bike. The rider pin can be changed at will, no worries, but your bike Master Pin is hard coded as far as I know - cannot be changed. Think about it, these are pretty smart programmers putting together these security systems.

·
Rider
543 Posts
Use a low 4 digit number for your pin that you can memorize! Make it something important to you for easy memorization! I say use a low number because if you pick say 9999 you would have to click your switch 36 times while if you used 1111 you would only click 4 times.... make sense?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Use a low 4 digit number for your pin that you can memorize! Make it something important to you for easy memorization! I say use a low number because if you pick say 9999 you would have to click your switch 36 times while if you used 1111 you would only click 4 times.... make sense?
Good advice... Just avoid making it too easy, at one time certain dealers would use 1111. Too easy to guess.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
If you come out of this with no repair bill and the only issue is not having the fob on you--not too bad a day.

Reactions: BOBBYP
1 - 20 of 35 Posts