Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 vintage chief with about 5000 miles on it. Recently it begin failing to start on the first push of the button. The on button works fine but when I push the starter button I only got a click. About three or four seconds later I get another click which shuts it off. For about a week I had to turn it off anon 5 to 7 times before the starter button would work. Now the power button continues to work great but the starter button does not work at all. Any ideas beyond I know it’s an electrical issue. My local Indian dealer is 250 miles away And the warranty just expired last week

·
Silver member
3,868 Posts
I'm no wrench but the 1st thing I'd check is the battery connections and grounds. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will stop by with more/better advice.

·
Registered
317 Posts
First thing I would try is to check the battery connections. Then jumper cables from a car with the engine off. Be very careful with the VCM DO NOT LET IT TOUCH THE BATTERY TERMINALS. If it starts then replace battery.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't know if this is your case or not, but my confounding starting issues were NOT due the multiple "dead" batteries I bought and swapped over the past three years! It was nothing but the dang key fob battery! Just give it a check ;)

·
Founding member
825 Posts
Once again, the key fob battery. Get a code so you can start the bike without the fob as well.

Reactions: Kevin Cranick

·
Registered
138 Posts
Fob fault would be indicated by the security symbol on the bike once the security symbol is gone your good till the bike is put into gear for 1st time
I'd carry out load test on battery and only once I know the battery is confirmed to be 100% then I'd proceed further in diagnostic
You cant get accurate readings and do any electrical diagnostic till you know a battery is 100%

·
Silver member
4,836 Posts
click equals bad battery. Not a bad switch. Replace your battery. Your 17 likely has a three year old plus battery...

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I don't know if this is your case or not, but my confounding starting issues were NOT due the multiple "dead" batteries I bought and swapped over the past three years! It was nothing but the dang key fob battery! Just give it a check ;)
Excellent advise and cheaper too check.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts