Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!!
Over winter I had to remove my battery, and when I went to place it in a wire got caught and damaged the connector. I tried to order the part but the item was not correct. I have used the old connection and wrapped it in electrical tape.
I have no error codes, but when I have the clutch in, the 'N' will light up. When I brake using the handle(not the pedal) and shift down the hazards come on. At one time the flashers were reversed, meaning I elect to turn right but the left arrow and signal would initiate. When I brake (handle/pedal) the brake lights do not illuminate, all lights do work otherwise.

Any thoughts on how to correct this? Service shop is 45 miles away and the only way I would be able to get my bike there would be to drive it, I'm not sure that's such a great idea, with these faults.

I am also looking for a PDF Service manual, if someone is willing to share with me.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback!

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
Without knowing what connector is damaged it's difficult to diagnose from out here. First thoughts are that the connector has either an open connection on one wire or they are reversed. However, it's further complicated by the errors not being consistent, such as the indicators being reversed 'at one time'. Things like that point towards a connection with water in it that bleeds off varying levels of voltage over time.

Pdf manual

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Dr. Shifty! What do you think would happen if I attempted to reorder the connections of the wires. I finally was able to order the correct part.

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
Thank you Dr. Shifty! What do you think would happen if I attempted to reorder the connections of the wires. I finally was able to order the correct part.
Do not experiment, that is the path to possible damage. Check the wiring diagram to see what the polarity of that particular connector has to be and get it right. It's a matter of identifying what color wire goes in each side of the plug. If the weird problems continue it means there is something else happening.

So far you've not said what connector got damaged, so it's tricky to be more specific from out here.

If you are unfamiliar with electrical work, especially with the canbus electrics of modern bikes, my advice would be to get a trained person to do the work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The connector that broke was:

I have placed the wires in the correct pins. I reinstalled the battery and turned over, brake light still doesn't brighten, after shifting through gears hazards come one. I'm guessing that I will need to have dealer flash ECM. Hopefully I doin't have to replace it, as the new part is upwards of $600. Hoping that refreshing will correct issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts