Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2017 indian scout a few month's ago, and the previous owner has chopped the rear fender to more of a bobber style look. I am wanting to put a passenger seat on the bike, but since the rear fender has been chopped the threaded insert on the rear fender is no longer there. Does anyone know were i can order a braket to mount the passenger seat to the fender bolts or have any recommendations on what i can do?

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The first option would be to fit the Bobber seat, which mounts on those side bolts. You would have to check that the bolt centres are the same for the stock Scout as for the Bobber.

The Scout pillion seat has that rear bolt but it's only for positioning, it does not take any weight. The bolt screws into a nut that is fitted under the fender but not to the subframe. The mounting plate also goes under the front seat and bolts to the subframe through a hole in the fender. This will still be there on your bike.

The weight of the seat is taken by four rubber bumpers under the seat that sit on the fender, which is protected by stick-on plastic film to stop scratching. You could mount the stock pillion seat to your cut down fender, but you'll have to find some way to hold it down at the rear.

This is the mounting frame. If you were to fit this to your bike, it's only a matter of seeing how far your fender reaches along this frame and drilling a hole in both fender and frame so you can bolt it down. You could then cut the frame to length to get rid of any overhang.

Looking at the pic of your bike, I'd say the guy cut the fender immediately short of the mounting bolt and you won't have much overhang.

There used to be 2 Scout pillion seats, one stock size and one larger. I think it was called the touring seat. That's another thing to check out to see if they are both current.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first option would be to fit the Bobber seat, which mounts on those side bolts. You would have to check that the bolt centres are the same for the stock Scout as for the Bobber.

The Scout pillion seat has that rear bolt but it's only for positioning, it does not take any weight. The bolt screws into a nut that is fitted under the fender but not to the subframe. The mounting plate also goes under the front seat and bolts to the subframe through a hole in the fender. This will still be there on your bike.

The weight of the seat is taken by four rubber bumpers under the seat that sit on the fender, which is protected by stick-on plastic film to stop scratching. You could mount the stock pillion seat to your cut down fender, but you'll have to find some way to hold it down at the rear.

This is the mounting frame. If you were to fit this to your bike, it's only a matter of seeing how far your fender reaches along this frame and drilling a hole in both fender and frame so you can bolt it down. You could then cut the frame to length to get rid of any overhang.

Looking at the pic of your bike, I'd say the guy cut the fender immediately short of the mounting bolt and you won't have much overhang.

View attachment 600007

There used to be 2 Scout pillion seats, one stock size and one larger. I think it was called the touring seat. That's another thing to check out to see if they are both current.
Thanks for the info, i dont believe the mounting holes for the bobber seat will line up correctly due to it having a different rear subframe, but i will do some more research and will check into seeing how much over hang i would have with the stock scout pillion seat, and or have my buddy that owns a machine shop fabricate a custom bracket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts