Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the dealership today and noticed the '17s have a different suspension setup, the springs are stiffer. Did I miss this in any earlier thread? I wonder if the fit is the same and how much the cost is on getting a pair?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They did not look like the fox shocks that you may be referencing, they had a matte grey finish...of course when I went to the indian motorcycle website and looked up the part for 2017 scout it did not list the shocks at all and the diagram wasn't loaded either...

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
They did not look like the fox shocks that you may be referencing, they had a matte grey finish...of course when I went to the indian motorcycle website and looked up the part for 2017 scout it did not list the shocks at all and the diagram wasn't loaded either...
Just checked the 2016 and 2017 parts fische and there are two different part numbers for the shocks.
2015 and 2016 has rear shock part number 1543521
2017 has rear shock part number 1543748-650

So they may very well have made some changes in the rear suspension.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for looking in to it, I'll probably text my dealer's mechanic next week to see what's up with the cost and to confirm the difference...

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
At the dealership today and noticed the '17s have a different suspension setup, the springs are stiffer. Did I miss this in any earlier thread? I wonder if the fit is the same and how much the cost is on getting a pair?
Not a different suspension. Same in the front. Same in the back... just some different, rather strangely wound progressive springs on the rear shocks...

·
Registered
955 Posts
2017 rear springs are different, they're now progressive ... shouldn't be harder, should feel softer to start with. This has been raised before, we've had pics posted of the new rear shocks.

thought the 2017 fronts were stiffer but can't confirm.

·
Diamond member
9,055 Posts
The new Scout has new recalibrated shocks, and recalibrated front.
I don't think I'd waste the money for factory suspension.. I'd spend the money in after market.. you will get more for your dollar..
Such as damping adjustment control. Something the new shocks do not have.. which in my eyes, is a MUST HAVE.
If the set damping is good for one of the springs pre-load settings, it won't be right for the rest of the springs settings.
In short, if you can adjust the spring rate, you need to be able to adjust the damping respectively.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,321 Posts
Water under the Bridge for me as have spent close to 2 Grand upgrading the suspension on mine .. But the 2015's anyway Stock were Way too Spongy Up Front and the Rear was Too Stiff without enough Travel .. A lot of Cash for a Bike that cost so little to spend that much, but worth it to me now when do 300 Mile + Runs with it ..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Folks,

My '17 indeed has a different, progressive-type spring over the rear shocks - the '16s on the showroom had a standard rate shock spring. I don't have any complaints about the rear suspension, but I'm not a "bike guy" and don't have massive performance expectations.

As far as the front, my qualitative test on the dealership floor (i.e. mushing the forks on the '16s and '17) was inconclusive at best. Seemed the same, which is to say unremarkable. Again, I'm not pushing her past the NATOPS limits so I'm happy.

But that paint gets me stopped for compliments every time...

Aloha, RH

·
Registered
200 Posts
I drove a 16 more than a few times and my 17 is with out a doubt improved - even the front feels different. I ride two up and I'm yet to bottom out - but then again I don't go down roads missing chunks of asphalt either.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I drove a 16 more than a few times and my 17 is with out a doubt improved - even the front feels different. I ride two up and I'm yet to bottom out - but then again I don't go down roads missing chunks of asphalt either.
The front feels different how? Did you ride a 2016 and a 2017 back too back? It would be nice to have definitive facts... i.e. are the front springs using different part numbers?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts