Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( The side stand on my 2017 Road Master failed letting the bike fall over with my wife on board . The down tube twisted and down she went .It was sitting on level concrete slab .My dealer was ready to make needed repairs and Polaris stopped them {quote-- until further notice--} No estimated time of repair or loaner no anything ! Now the best weather this year I am setting here looking at my payment book and the bike is impounded-- no repairs in sight. Talked to another dealer about this problem and he is aware of two other machines with same problem . Any one else had this problem or heard of one?:eek::(:mad:

·
Bronze member
2,176 Posts
I thought by 2017 it would be fixed but judging by their halt on a fix, they haven't designed a new one yet

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems that there is an issue with side stands .My stand arm chrome failed early and was replaced with an up graded arm now the weak point moved to the down tube and is part of the frame.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
It should be strong enough to hold up an overloaded bike and two people with room to spare.

Reactions: Sludad

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, I thought these failures would have been corrected by now. :eek:
I understand they up graded the arm a while ago but seems to have shifted the stress onto the down tube . The tube is made of aluminum and it failed on my machine ! forged steel would have been my choise for a high stress area like this .UP DATE --down tube is steel not aluminum my mistake. Upper frame is though.

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
While they are engineering a solution,
I wouldn't mind if there incorporated a center stand :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
:( bummer.

I've been long concerned this would happen to my pillion. Hope your missus had cat like instincts and was able to avoid injury:)

Thanks for the heads up, good luck, and please keep us updated.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I was always taught and read in my manuals NOT to sit on bike when side stand deployed, and also when trailering to strap bike up right with stand up to avoid these types of failures.. that said, I DO think a stand should be able to handle these things.. but by my readings and knowledge, this isn't a good practice for this reason.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Oh boy....that sucks. I agree with not sitting on a bike on any type with the side stand engaged - however, it should not fail under that circumstance. Think of the pressures that would be on a side stand if say you were stopped for the night with a bike cover and a windstorm? The part should be engineered to withstand that.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
I was always taught and read in my manuals NOT to sit on bike when side stand deployed, and also when trailering to strap bike up right with stand up to avoid these types of failures.. that said, I DO think a stand should be able to handle these things.. but by my readings and knowledge, this isn't a good practice for this reason.
Good points all. But, since my pillion is hardly heavier than a loaded touring bag, I've allowed her to do things 'her way' o_O:)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
When I had my Electra Glide, Cross Country and Vision I never gave a thought to my wife sitting on the bike with the side stand down and I never heard of any issues from doing so and she did it often. Perhaps Polaris needs to provide a stronger side stand package capable of matching other motorcycles on the market. Just a thought.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My 2017 RM side stand failed several months ago. Dealership took one off a floor model as it looked like it was three weeks out before they could get one.

No problem since then.

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Yikes. As a new owner of a brand-new Chief Classic, this is somewhat, uh... unsettling. Hopefully a very rare occurrence -- and hopefully properly and swiftly addressed by Polaris.

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
I can't even fathom why this should ever happen. Think about the old bikes you had to kick through while on the sidestand. Those never broke from the weight and downforce.. I agree the side stand should take the weight of the bike, and the passengers. Makes me worry. I will say that!

1 - 20 of 197 Posts