Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone. I own a 2017 roadmaster with 3500 miles on it. lately I have noticed that my bike would stall. I changed my air filter and plugs also added new gas then I noticed this happened whenever I would turn my handlebars hard left or right. I checked the wiring harness and nothing looked kinked or pulled, I moved the harness it and the bike no longer stalls but will mess with my throttle like creating a misfire. Now at highway speeds It feels like the kill switch gets activated for a quick second, its scary to be going down the freeway at 75 and lose power. I do have an appointment at the dealership in Tucson on the 30th but wanted to see if there was anything I could check prior to taking it in. thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
The fact that the problem changed when you moved the harness points to a shorted wire in the throttle side harness that is most likely making contact against metal when you turn the bars. Or, it could be a loose connection that becomes intermittent when the bars are turned. The simplest thing to check is the connectors where they plug in behind the headlight.

Reactions: Lord Bard Prime

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thankfully that fixed my issues. Once taking the headlight off anf moving the wires it stalled multiple times. I did not see any cut or peeled wires my problem was at the connectors. I unpluged the connectors and cleaned them. BANG! Rides like a charm. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I had a broken wire in my very first motorcycle, a 1996 Suzuki Intruder I got in 2008. It wouldn't start unless I turned the handlebars hard left or whichever way it was. Luckily it was a lucky guess on which one it was when I got the tank off, then cut and replaced it after testing with a wire tester and no more troubles. Glad it sounds like you got your issue resolved!

Reactions: Banbanarizona

·
Registered
309 Posts
Good to read that you are back on the road and not injured. A poor connection is always annoying , not to mention inconvenient with the potential of a accident if motor cuts out at the wrong time. Biggest nightmare motor dying when passing a roadtrain, a heap of cars or tipping into corner.
Happy riding

·
Registered
641 Posts
Or to hit the reserve when merging on to the freeway when traffic is flowing normal or pull out in front of a vehicle you need to get on a little bit so not to make them slow down too much, too. And of course it would be bad to have that happen when passing many vehicles too. I think maybe once I hit the reserve coming on to the freeway before I got the Indian on my last motorcycle.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Or to hit the reserve when merging on to the freeway when traffic is flowing normal or pull out in front of a vehicle you need to get on a little bit so not to make them slow down too much, too. And of course it would be bad to have that happen when passing many vehicles too. I think maybe once I hit the reserve coming on to the freeway before I got the Indian on my last motorcycle.
Fortunately the RM just has a light and a warning signal. Yes many years ago I crashed on a motocross jump because as I gassed up the up ramp I hit reserve and the motor stalled in the air, consequently I had a big nose dive and ate the dirt big time ha ha

·
Bronze Member
1,715 Posts
Fortunately the RM just has a light and a warning signal. Yes many years ago I crashed on a motocross jump because as I gassed up the up ramp I hit reserve and the motor stalled in the air, consequently I had a big nose dive and ate the dirt big time ha ha
An instantaneous physics lesson in gyroscpic effects.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts