Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rolled over 2000 km on my Classic. It is the fulfillment of a dream for me and it is almost a wet dream except for a few things. I could expound on all the wonderful things that is Roadmaster but I wanted to share some of the anomalies/errors I have found on the bike.

- centre of gravity is too high. Even minor winds create instability and I find myself doing a tank knee-grab much more often than with my previous bike. Simply placing my feet on the highway pegs creates much stability. I am thinking about adding ballast to the underside of the engine.
- 4-way flashers do not work with ignition off. Huh?! If you break down on the side of the highway, seems to me that you want to run the 4-way flashers regardless of what it would do to the battery. This should at least be configurable.
- GPS voice guidance does not function when radio volume is muted. I don't always want to be listening to something on the sound system but I do want to hear the GPS voice guidance. Should be configurable to work all the time or not.
- When a route is being guided by the GPS, every time the lady provides instructions, the map should be brought up regardless of what else is being displayed on the screen.
- lock for leather trunk. Can't believe that Indian would do this. It looks like a simple thing. Waiting for someone to come up with one. I get that you can't effectively lock leather bags.
- positive neutral would be a very welcome addition.

I will be sending these to Indian since some of them can be fixed by software. Still trying to make Ride Command, Cardo G9 and Moto X play together. No luck yet.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,896 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you have the 4-way flashers working before you turn the engine/power off they'll continue to work. I've not had a reason to fully test that though.

I agree the center of gravity is high but in the twisties it helps as you can much easier flick the bike back from left and right turns. Parking lot maneuvers though are help with rear brake and increased rpms to get gyroscopic help from the engine. Helps if you practice this though to get "the feel".

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ndcowboy. I'll try the 4-way flashers trick and let you know. I guess at this stage, I am no longer a flicker in the twisties. I prefer stability. I know and use the back brake tactic for parking lot maneuvers but hadn't thought about the gyroscopic effect. Thanks again.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,896 Posts
Thanks ndcowboy. I'll try the 4-way flashers trick and let you know. I guess at this stage, I am no longer a flicker in the twisties. I prefer stability. I know and use the back brake tactic for parking lot maneuvers but hadn't thought about the gyroscopic effect. Thanks again.
Let me know if it all works for you. There are some YouTube videos that show how cops use the extra rpms in police rodeos. It does take practice.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peccadilloes update: So, the whole 4-way flasher thing is weirder than I thought. NDNC is right that they work if turned on before the ignition is turned off. So, I put them on and shut the ignition off. The indicators on the dash went off so I thought it didn't work. As I walked away from the bike, there were the 4-ways flashing away. Hmmmmm. I went back to turn them off and they would not turn off until I turned the ignition on. Not sure about the thinking on this. 4-ways should work anytime you punch the button and you shouldn't have to fiddle with the ignition.

New peccadillo - at highway speeds (120 km/h, 70 mph) the vents at the bottom of the windshield are really noisy when the windshield is fully extended. I don't ride this way so it's not a big deal for me but it sounds like a shop vac and it's quite audible at highway speeds.

I also realized I forgot one other in my initial post - the kick stand tucks away behind the clutch and every time I want to use it, I end up kicking the small clutch lever nub which is in front of it. I ordered an extender from Aeromach which is supposed to fix it but it's a strange config as the cases will be damaged over time.

Other than all that, I continue to love it and you'd have to steal it to get me away from it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Peccadilloes update number 3: Spent the day riding from Montreal to the Eastern Townships on a beautiful, almost windless day. Had two more impressions:

- The USB port should work when ignition is off. It would make sense to be able to charge small electronic devices - the impact on the bike battery would be zero. It would be good to be able to leave my phone charging while I am having coffee or lunch. But, you can charge it while you ride, you say. True. But, I would like to charge my helmet communicator (or iPod, or something else) while having lunch. No reason why this could not be. Should be configurable.
- Gas gauge is very erratic. Today I filled the tank and it responded immediately as full (it doesn't always) with a mileage number that looked reasonable. I rode it for 45 minutes with little movement and sometimes the mileage even increased a couple of kilometers. After a while it took a dive to a number that seemed reasonable. Whatever. It's pretty wonky.

Gas mileage is really crappy. Today, on the 20 with the cruise set at 120 kph (75 mph) with a small tail-wind, the real-time mileage was showing at 10 litres per 100 km (23.5 mpg). This is what my SUV gets at that speed. Never understood this.

The stability issue still bugs me. Today, just putting one foot on a highway peg created a whole new stability.

I think you know that I am not being a Debbie-Downer. I love this thing and wouldn't give it up for anything but I am sussing out the little issues with the intention of feeding them to Indian in hopes they do something.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Your gas mileage is low by what I get and all I have read on here. Im at about 39 avg.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What type gas are you using? Where are the rpm's at? Curious if this might play into the low mpg?
Standard 91 octane. Didn't really notice the rpms but I think just below 3000. Air filtre is new. Riding solo. Using US gallons (Imperial gallons are bigger) But, remember I haven't checked it manually. That will be my next step.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Standard 91 octane. Didn't really notice the rpms but I think just below 3000. Air filtre is new. Riding solo. Using US gallons (Imperial gallons are bigger) But, remember I haven't checked it manually. That will be my next step.
Mine is matching pretty close both manual and computer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts