Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my 2017 Roadmaster classic just died on the highway. First the engine light came on then battery light. Got it to the shoulder. Tried to restart it it, dash came on, radio working, hit the start button and a pop noise heard in speakers and everything shuts dow. 994 miles on it.

Towed to dealer, with 994 miles on it. Has anyone experienced this?

Running with no issues, no smell of burning wires or oil leaking anywhere.

·
Rider
724 Posts
Today my 2017 Roadmaster classic just died on the highway. First the engine light came on then battery light. Got it to the shoulder. Tried to restart it it, dash came on, radio working, hit the start button and a pop noise heard in speakers and everything shuts dow. 994 miles on it.

Towed to dealer, with 994 miles on it. Has anyone experienced this?

Running with no issues, no smell of burning wires or oil leaking anywhere.
I am betting a loose terminal wire is the issue.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mine did that just under 1000 miles as well. turned out to be the Voltage Regulator. The dealer knew it was a problem and had one in stock.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mine ended up on a tow truck in Sturgis. (I have great picture of it on a tow truck I can't figure out how to post it here) It started out with the red battery warning light on my 2017 Chieftain. Later I watched as the voltage drained down to next to nothing. I got a checkengine light and an additional caution light. I stopped checked my battery and the negative terminal was slightly loose. Tightened the connection and sparking popping noise and the bike did not turn over. We used a jumper connected to the starter and started the bike. The bike quit almost immediately. I towed the bike Into Indian Motorcycle of Sturgis. The service department was closed already and the sales manager was locking up the building. I left my bike overnight and the sales manager gave me a used 2014 to ride until my 2017 Chieftain could be repaired. They checked everything out and said it was just the loose terminal. They explained that with the low voltage in the battery the bike shuts itself off even after tightening the terminal wire. Two weeks over a thousand miles later and no problems. The Sturgis dealership was great! Imrg provided the tow and the work was covered by the warranty. Hopefully that's all that's wrong with yours.

·
Bronze member
4,684 Posts
Well could not get the seat off, bolts so tight when installed by Indian broke the Allen wrench.I hope this is not going to be a lemon?
Pretty common for the seat bolts to be cross threaded into the aluminum frame:(

When I went to put my new seat on my 2018 chieftain the right side bolt was cross threaded and would not budge. I had a pair of needle nosed vise grips and got the sucker out. It wasn’t cross threaded all the way in so 3/4 of the frame threads were good. Ran a tap through it and was good as new. After my 500 mile service I noticed the left side bolt was cross threaded. Dumb ass mechanics!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a hell-coil and did both sides. Apparently this is pretty common and done at the dealerships. Most likely using power (air or electric) drivers.

Like others have said, either loose battery or bad regulator

·
Registered
134 Posts
First the engine light came on then battery light. Got it to the shoulder. Tried to restart it it, dash came on, radio working, hit the start button and a pop noise heard in speakers and everything shuts dow.
I've had this happen to me multiple times. For me, it always ends up being a bad battery.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also experienced my 2017 Roadmaster’s voltage regulator going bad and leaving me stranded; milage on bike 3500 miles. Dealer said this is an unusual case but I’m wondering when I see it happening to others.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine ended up on a tow truck in Sturgis. (I have great picture of it on a tow truck I can't figure out how to post it here) It started out with the red battery warning light on my 2017 Chieftain. Later I watched as the voltage drained down to next to nothing. I got a checkengine light and an additional caution light. I stopped checked my battery and the negative terminal was slightly loose. Tightened the connection and sparking popping noise and the bike did not turn over. We used a jumper connected to the starter and started the bike. The bike quit almost immediately. I towed the bike Into Indian Motorcycle of Sturgis. The service department was closed already and the sales manager was locking up the building. I left my bike overnight and the sales manager gave me a used 2014 to ride until my 2017 Chieftain could be repaired. They checked everything out and said it was just the loose terminal. They explained that with the low voltage in the battery the bike shuts itself off even after tightening the terminal wire. Two weeks over a thousand miles later and no problems. The Sturgis dealership was great! Imrg provided the tow and the work was covered by the warranty. Hopefully that's all that's wrong with yours.
Our voltage regulator went out on the 2017 Chieftain in route to Sturgis. Had it towed there, on the 3rd day they finally got part to replace it and they didn’t give us a bike to ride. Was frustrating.

·
Rider
593 Posts
I have my $ on voltage reg. same thing happened to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bingo ! Winner, winner, chixken dinner.
Yep, voltage regulator is what they replaced.
Let see if that does the trick. Dealer is worried Indian wil not reimburse then for the 570.00 towing bill. I hope they will? This is a manufacture issue not a dealer issue

·
Registered
600 Posts
Let see if that does the trick. Dealer is worried Indian wil not reimburse then for the 570.00 towing bill. I hope they will? This is a manufacture issue not a dealer issue
So did that do the trick?

Just had a similar issue with my 17 chieftain and dealer is telling me voltage regulators are back ordered at Indian until mid October. So if that is the case my bike is parked for the remaining 1.5 months of the season :(

·
Registered
627 Posts
So did that do the trick?

Just had a similar issue with my 17 chieftain and dealer is telling me voltage regulators are back ordered at Indian until mid October. So if that is the case my bike is parked for the remaining 1.5 months of the season :(
Tell your dealer to do a vehicle down order. It'll come quicker that way. Be shipped from the manufacturer

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm glad they found the issue . How dare they even said anything about Polaris handling the issue or not (tow bill)That's the cost of being dependable . A new bike has a dumper to dumper warranty .Good luck with your bike it's very beautiful !! Be safe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts