Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got 4800 miles on the roadmaster..I love this bike. But started hearing a noise that sounded like maybe i had gotten bad gas... you know that pinging noise when fuel isnt burning clean.... added octane bust.. No help. Ran all the gas out to about 20 miles to empty refueled...No help.. oil level good 880 miles until next oil change. set up appointment with indian dealer.. the ride over clinking, clanking, clacking, pinging ..
WTF
Now the wait begins
I know some had clacking noise, but this can't be what y'all are talking about...Being a auto tech i couldn't and wouldn't drive something sounding like this.
Sounds like lifters and connection rods wrist pins nose or crank shaft bearings
I don't drive this thing hard...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just got 4800 miles on the roadmaster..I love this bike. But started hearing a noise that sounded like maybe i had gotten bad gas... you know that pinging noise when fuel isnt burning clean.... added octane bust.. No help. Ran all the gas out to about 20 miles to empty refueled...No help.. oil level good 880 miles until next oil change. set up appointment with indian dealer.. the ride over clinking, clanking, clacking, pinging ..
WTF
Now the wait begins
I know some had clacking noise, but this can't be what y'all are talking about...Being a auto tech i couldn't and wouldn't drive something sounding like this.
The noise people call clacking is most of the time caused by piston slap, they redesigned the pistons to help quiet the engine down, there are also some issues with cam chain tensioners going bad and the chain slapping because it's not tight, exhaust head pipe nuts also loosen and create a noise as well. The final thing is a PCVX programmer from Fuelmoto with a custom tune can help quiet down the engine noise by changes to fuel delivery and timing, I had a really loud one and ended up getting the 116 big bore kit to make mine quiet, it was either buy another bike or the big bore kit, the noise drove me nuts. Good luck

·
Rider
620 Posts
What Riviera said. That noise is a common issue with most of the TS111 engines before 2018 when it was fixed. Funny enough though, when they fixed the issue they got something like an extra 8-10HP out of the engine lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lucky I hope. I have an after market warranty. So we don't need indian to sign off on repairs. Looked like they are not standing behind them and fixing these issues. Why would anyone buy another indian if they are not standing by thier brand. If this fixed it on newer models then they know thiers a problem.
How much is a big bore kit installed. I already have strange 1 and 2

·
305 Posts
I have a 2015 RM in Calgary. I have the Craig B tune and never had any knocking issue till riding in North Carolina and Virginia. Refuelled and issue gone.
IMHO fuel is the major issue.

·
Rider
1,033 Posts
WTF
Now the wait begins
Well...the bike is essentially brand new. So...you JUST heard this noise out of nowhere? Any modifications to the bike? Bad gas WILL create issues, as will using low octane. FWIW I've never ridden an air cooled bike that didn't make a lot of racket depending on the temp, riding conditions, altitude, stereo volume, etc.

·
147 Posts
Exhaust head pipe nuts need to be re-touqured a few times during the first 5K . That should fix your problem. It's this way on all air cooled engines.

·
Bronze member
2,159 Posts
My 2017 Chieftain has ran like a champ from day one. OP, keep us updated on what's going on with your bike. Hope it's nothing major, cheers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does have a stage 1 and 2, but I bought the bike with the mods. It had 1240 miles on it. But it did just start making these noise. I had read about the clacking noise before buying and has heard it on a bike I looked at and didn't buy it because of the noise. Now im at 4800 miles and it starts.... Haven't heard from dealer.. they only have 3 techs and they had alot of bikes there. So I'm sure I'll hear something this week.

·
Rider
620 Posts
It isn't a warranty repair because there isn't actually anything wrong and isn't damaging your engine. No one that I've ever seen over there years has any engine damage or failures from it. It's just an irritating noise some of them get.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
It’s kind of like the vibration that I’m having in my 2018 chieftain limited. It’s not keeping the engine from running it just makes it unpleasant for long trips. Some people have found the only way to get rid of the vibration is to sell the bike and buy another one. I’m working with Craig on a tune to hopefully get rid of it or at least reduce the vibration. I live in Los Angeles and have a ride planned for Key West Florida but there is no way I could complete a ride of that duration on a motorcycle that vibrates as much as this one does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it isn't a problem then why did they "fix" it for 2018....I don't buy into that philosophy that it sounds like every noise we've heard in these old worned out ford and Chevrolets...... Now indian says... it's ok... no big deal... it's fine.... no failures....BUT we did fix it for the 2018 models..... y'all buying into that???????
Another old saying.. i'f it's not broken don't fix it. But they did so it must be broken.
No I will NOT ride or drive anything knocking, clanking, clacking, pinging or any other sounds that I know is a mechanical issue.
Y'all can

·
Silver member
4,822 Posts
If it isn't a problem then why did they "fix" it for 2018....I don't buy into that philosophy that it sounds like every noise we've heard in these old worned out ford and Chevrolets...... Now indian says... it's ok... no big deal... it's fine.... no failures....BUT we did fix it for the 2018 models..... y'all buying into that???????
Another old saying.. i'f it's not broken don't fix it. But they did so it must be broken.
No I will NOT ride or drive anything knocking, clanking, clacking, pinging or any other sounds that I know is a mechanical issue.
Y'all can
Then park it :ROFLMAO:

My smartass remark aside :p, I agree, if the common "clacking" noise is piston slap then that's a problem. My '15 Vintage has a bit of a rattle above +,- 2500 RPMs and I don't like it. It sounds more like valve trian noise to me but I'm not a mechanic so.... It seems clacking, rattle, whatever, would = metal hitting metal. And if its piston slap I'd say engine longevity is at question. Maybe CraigB could tune it out with the PV3?

·
Bronze member
1,500 Posts
I think there are varying answers to the clacking problem that people have. My RM has it, but the other two don't. It's only an issue from 2200 - 2800RPM and then it's gone. Just went over 34K this past weekend and there isn't any issue other than the noise, which is irritating. Plus, it is very temp and moisture dependent. This past week I was on a trip out west and when it was cool in the mountains, even under load, it wasn't there. Riding home through WY and SD, when it ranged from 95 - 107, it was clear as a bell.

FWIW, I am very aware of what piston slap sounds like based on faulty design of some parts on my Cross Country 116 kit. What I have on my RM is not piston slap, but more of a top end noise. Had it to 3 different reputable mechs that confirmed where it's coming from, but haven't a clue what it is, or how to fix it. So, I just keep riding it and haven't had any problems to date.

·
Rider
667 Posts
Prior to owning my Indian, I had many bikes, 2 of which where Triumph Thunderbirds. The first had the 1600 twin and the second had the 1700 twin. The 1700 did develop piston slap at around 5000 miles. Triumph had some of their T-Birds develop this, and I think most were the larger piston 1700's. They never did issue a recall. However, they did replace my pistons, liners, and wrist pins under warranty. I did a stage 2 upgrade on my '17 Springfield at around 5000 miles, and immediately following started to detect some piston slapping issues. Craig B. sent me a tune which I loaded and it knocked out about 95% of the sound.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hopefully I'll know more this week. It's great riding weather and having the bike down isn't ideal. Hopefully it's not going to be an issue getting it repaired or maybe just going the big bore

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the shop said definitely an internal mechanical issue with front cylinder. Submitted to aftermarket warranty company for tear down authorization.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So after all this time my dealer finally looked at the bike. They are saying the rocker arms are bad.. they supposedly have side to side play in them....
Have anyone heard of this issue? I was thinking piston slap or lifters.
Warranty company approved the repair.

·
Rider
1,033 Posts
So after all this time my dealer finally looked at the bike. They are saying the rocker arms are bad.. they supposedly have side to side play in them....
Have anyone heard of this issue? I was thinking piston slap or lifters.
Warranty company approved the repair.
Wow! First I've heard of that.....wonder why they are bad unless it's a mfg defect.....which would necessitate a recall...?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts