Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,
My 2017 Indian Scout wouldn't start this morning. I had charged the battery but when I went to start it, it wouldn't turn over and the engine light came on. Tried a couple of me times and the same result. What does it mean when the engine light comes on and it won't start?
Kevin in Shelton WA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.
Hmmmm. Should I have tried to engage the clutch lever whilst trying to start it? I had it in neutral but wouldn't turn over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also what is the "Neutral switch?" I'm not educated yet on my Scout engine. I was signing up to take thw WA state motorcycle maintenance course but because of the silliness of this states COVID19 rules last I saw is that these classes were cxld. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I think what he meant by neutral switch might be the sensor that can tell what gear the bike is in. The bigger Indians had this gear position sensor recalled but I don't think it is a known issue on the Scout.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'd suggest pulling in the clutch, putting up the kickstand and trying to start it, just to help rule out possible issues with some of the sensors. And, of course, you already checked to make sure the kill switch wasn't on.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Also what is the "Neutral switch?" I'm not educated yet on my Scout engine. I was signing up to take thw WA state motorcycle maintenance course but because of the silliness of this states COVID19 rules last I saw is that these classes were cxld. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Some bikes may need to be in neutral to start but I have never seen one. The neutral switch is what turns on the neutral lamp on your speedometer to tell you it’s in neutral. On my 2019 you can start in gear and with the clutch lever released also no kick stand switch. Not sure why it will not start but does it make any sound at all? Why did you charge the battery in the first place? Just because it didn’t start or some other reasons?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. If I haven't ridden it in a while ( 4 weeks while I healed from a badly sprained left ankle, shift foot) So I had the charger on it. It tries to turn over but won't start. I'll try it again when I get home tonight. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thank you. If I haven't ridden it in a while ( 4 weeks while I healed from a badly sprained left ankle, shift foot) So I had the charger on it. It tries to turn over but won't start. I'll try it again when I get home tonight. Thanks for the response.
So the engine spins at normal cranking speed but engine never fires correct? Are you holding down the starter button or just pressing it and letting up?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also how much fuel is in it? I know mine starts really hard and almost didn't start because of that. Even when the fuel like has just come on, if i let it sit, it cranks a few more times than normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I'm holding the starter button down and the engine is spinning/cranking at normal speed then stops. The fuel light did come on but it has fuel. It's funny, but not - I did start it - turn it over a week ago and it was a difficult start but it started and I let it run for a bit but today when I wanted to ride it in to work - no luck.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes I'm holding the starter button down and the engine is spinning/cranking at normal speed then stops. The fuel light did come on but it has fuel. It's funny, but not - I did start it - turn it over a week ago and it was a difficult start but it started and I let it run for a bit but today when I wanted to ride it in to work - no luck.
Try just pressing the starter button quickly and not holding it down. On my 2019 if you hold the button down it doesn’t want to start.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Had a 2017 Scout 60 that turned over during crank cycle, but wouldn't start. You could tell that it was turning over slower each time, like battery was running down, it ended up being the starter motor itself causing the problem. There is a TSB on this problem. They will replace the starter for free if the bike is still under warranty, so get it checked out by your dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wanted to thank all of you who responded. All of your suggestions were great. Got home last night and by adding a little gas and engaging the clutch handle I get the Scout starter. Then I spoke to "Jesse" in the service dept at Indian Motorcycle of Bremerton, WA and he provided a great explanation to what was happening and after taking the bike out for a quick ride to fill up with gas, all is well. Rode in to work this morning. God bless all of you.

·
Bronze member
2,176 Posts
Ya they don't like to fire after the fuel light comes on. Mine does it too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts