Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New to the group so hi to everyone!
Had this awesome ride now for few years but over the soft front springs dipping / bottoming out to hard every bump & corner. After returning it in to the dealer for a warranty oil leak following last service (oil filter not installed properly resulting in approx half litre oil loss) the bike was returned for remedy. Bike went in ok came out with dodgy fork seal. With the ongoing issues Ive been having with the soft springs, I am considering pulling them out & putting in something stronger ie progressive springs & am wondering if anyone here has done the same?
Also chasing a 2017 service manual to do myself as I dont hold much faith in my local dealer if they cant get an oil filter done properly.
Any advice & or recommendations would be appreciated thanks:)

·
Rider
1,186 Posts
I put progressives in my front forks, 2017 Sixty, (well I paid a shop to do it LOL) and was pleased immediately with the results. Feels more stable at 60 and much less braking dip. Well worth it IMO.

Regarding the manual, I have a PDF shop manual but would like a hard copy for convenience. I found this online. It claims to be the real thing, not a copy. It was $58 including shipping so I took a chance and ordered it. I will post a follow up evaluation after I get it.

Reactions: Mr.McCruzer

·
Registered
342 Posts
does the bobber have a different front end than the regular scout? Mine are stiff as hell. No way they are bottoming out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I put progressives in my front forks, 2017 Sixty, (well I paid a shop to do it LOL) and was pleased immediately with the results. Feels more stable at 60 and much less braking dip. Well worth it IMO.

Regarding the manual, I have a PDF shop manual but would like a hard copy for convenience. I found this online. It claims to be the real thing, not a copy. It was $58 including shipping so I took a chance and ordered it. I will post a follow up evaluation after I get it.
Hi, can you give a link to where you found the shop manual? The pdf version that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi, can you give a link to where you found the shop manual? The pdf version that is.

Also, I tried the link to the paper manual but the site was blocked by my antivirus program as dangerous.

·
Rider
1,186 Posts

Can't. I did that once and it was deleted and I was warned. It was a weird link also. Check your messages, I may be able to steer you in the right direction anyway.

·
Rider
1,186 Posts
Also, I tried the link to the paper manual but the site was blocked by my antivirus program as dangerous.

Interesting. I ran virus, malware checks on the site with a couple dozen services. All came up clean except Norton. I have had buggy experience with Norton in the past, long time ago admittedly, so I still ordered. I used PayPal to cover myself in that regard.
Tomorrow I will run a couple of comprehensive malware checks on my PC to be fully certain. Plus I have a nephew that is a very high up security honcho with a multinational company and I sent him the link to check. If he comes back saying its clean, I guarantee it is. Which of course doesn't guarantee I won't get stiffed on the manual.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Interesting. I ran virus, malware checks on the site with a couple dozen services. All came up clean except Norton. I have had buggy experience with Norton in the past, long time ago admittedly, so I still ordered. I used PayPal to cover myself in that regard.
Tomorrow I will run a couple of comprehensive malware checks on my PC to be fully certain. Plus I have a nephew that is a very high up security honcho with a multinational company and I sent him the link to check. If he comes back saying its clean, I guarantee it is. Which of course doesn't guarantee I won't get stiffed on the manual.
Thanks for that info, and it was Norton on my side that flagged it for me as well.

·
Rider
1,186 Posts
Thanks for that info, and it was Norton on my side that flagged it for me as well.

My nephew also checked it out and said it was fine. Just another Norton thing.

·
Rider
1,186 Posts

OK folks, here is the followup. I received the manual today. Perfect. I suppose it may be a "copy" since I have not seen one otherwise.. If it is, it is as good as the original. I am quite pleased for my $58.

·
Registered
118 Posts
OK folks, here is the followup. I received the manual today. Perfect. I suppose it may be a "copy" since I have not seen one otherwise.. If it is, it is as good as the original. I am quite pleased for my $58.
That’s great news. Thanks for the update. Seems like a bargain, especially since Ive never found them anywhere else. I’ll go ahead and take a chance as well.

·
Rider
1,186 Posts
That’s great news. Thanks for the update. Seems like a bargain, especially since Ive never found them anywhere else. I’ll go ahead and take a chance as well.

While I really dislike PayPal's leftist political bent, I do use it for protection for this type of purchase.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I went ahead and ordered. Truth is, I bend a little left myself but my Scout don’t care. Thanks for the help.

·
Rider
1,186 Posts
I went ahead and ordered. Truth is, I bend a little left myself but my Scout don’t care. Thanks for the help.

My pleasure.

Bending a little in one direction or the other is fine, it's bending over to pick up the soap that gets you in trouble LOL

·
Registered
190 Posts
I put Progressive springs in my 2017 60. Made a huge difference to the front, but amplified how bad the shocks were. You will need to replace both front and rear to truly improve it overall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts