Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Most clutch cable breaks happen at the lug in the lever. The reason is that this lug needs to slightly rotate on operation but if it's not lubed properly it doesn't rotate. That means the slight rotation has to be taken up by the cable wire itself bending. The trouble is, that lug is soldered onto the cable and if the cable bends close to the lug it stresses the soldered joint. Sooner or later it will give way.

This is a clutch emergency kit, one of many out there. It's designed for when the cable leaves you stranded somewhere. It's just an inner cable and an assortment of lugs that screw on instead of being soldered.
https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-Universal-Emergency-Motorcycle/dp/B014I4EKHW

Thats good info Dr. Shifty, just ordered one of those kits. Seems hard to beat for $10 bucks. Good thread and good info. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Who did the 5000 mile check? Wonder if the cable lever was removed, cable end cleaned and lubed, pivot point inspected? Usually cable fraying is pretty easy to spot during an inspection. With it not being a year old makes me if a technician skipped that step.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Common fault, mine too broke at similar mileage. Replace with a Barnet item, they do overstock lengths for the apes. Change it yourself I put a how to guide on her in another section, it’s time consuming but not difficult.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So. The good news is. The dealer replaced it under warrantee. I just had to get it to them. I also ordered that emergency repair kit in case it happens again. I did ask them about upgrading the cable at my cost and they said Polaris won’t allow any warrantee unless it is replaced with a Polaris part. Oh well. At least it’s fixed and now I can be prepared if it happens again in the future.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,848 Posts
Morale of the story ... AAA . My Slingshot ( twice ) and two '14 Chiefs have been on a flatbed ... AAA paid for itself for the next 10 years

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,848 Posts
BTW .. My `14 snapped at 25k miles. Buddies '15 at 25k miles. Another friend, under 10k miles. I'm going to start carrying a spare for long trips

My '14 was still under warranty last year and cost me $50 total

·
Bronze member
2,230 Posts
Most clutch cable breaks happen at the lug in the lever. The reason is that this lug needs to slightly rotate on operation but if it's not lubed properly it doesn't rotate. That means the slight rotation has to be taken up by the cable wire itself bending. The trouble is, that lug is soldered onto the cable and if the cable bends close to the lug it stresses the soldered joint. Sooner or later it will give way.

This is a clutch emergency kit, one of many out there. It's designed for when the cable leaves you stranded somewhere. It's just an inner cable and an assortment of lugs that screw on instead of being soldered.
Amazon.com: Pit Posse Universal Cable Emergency Repair Kit: Automotive
If the cable does break and you have prepared for it, then you could (probably) take the tension out of the adjuster down on the frame and that would/might give enough slack such that you could cut off the frayed ends of the OEM and put on one of the screw-on barrels and continue on.

A lot less hassle than fully removing the inner and routing the new inner cable.

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Great news. The clutch cable that the dealer replaced my broken one with snapped on me again last night. 🤣🤣🤣

21 - 34 of 34 Posts