Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my clutch cable just snapped out of no where leaving me stranded and a $300 tow home (10 miles). Dealership is 40 miles away and I have no trailer. So I don’t know how I’m gonna get it to them. any one know if this should be taken care of under warrantee? I bought the bike 04/18 with 2 miles on it.

Still can’t believe this happened at that mileage. I had a Honda at 32k and never had an issue with the clutch cable. Worse this is I was gonna go on a mini trip 170 miles one way to see my dad in Indy. Had I broke down out there in the middle of corn fields I have no idea what I would have done.

And Labor Day weekend to make things worse. Everyone is closed till Tuesday.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Warranty coverage might be dependent on your particular dealership. There is a lot of trouble dealing with warranty at times... I would just fit a replacement cable and ride if it were me. If you don't have the spare part, then it is an issue for certain. There are repair kits - for temporary emergency use. I suppose that depends on where the old one has broken. Presumably that will be at the handlebar end right at the swaged connector. A pair of vise grips comes to mind... but that is just me! ;)
I hope you can figure out a good solution and get back on the road with minimal hassle!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. It snapped right in the lever. Can’t even see the actual cable. Bike is home. So that part is taken care of. Just wondering if I should even bother with the dealer. I guess the worse they can say is no. If they won’t fix it, I will have to do it myself. Just bothers me that something like this would happen to a rather newish bike. And from what I read it seems like a common problem. And Indian hasn’t (or won’t) addressed it yet.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I do not think that cable issues exist in particular with these bikes... All bikes can break a cable at any random time though. If it were a repeated problem, I'm sure it would be addressed in some way with a parts or service change action. Sorry to hear about yours.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Mine broke at about the same mileage in the same place, 2018 Springfield. I had it replaced under warranty with a Magnum clutch cable. The Magnum was actually cheaper than the OEM. Oh well, shit happens. No issues since. It has 28k on it now.

·
Bronze member
3,650 Posts
Indian redesigned the lever arm in 2018 - 2019. The clutch lever arms cut into the cable as it slides through a slot where it connects. Pretty common to have the clutch cables snap at the lever.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. I know they changed it for the 2018 and up models. Found that out when I broke my levers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah. I used my roadside assistance to get it home. Insurance paid for it but that was 300$ for 10 miles. Dealership is 40 miles from me. Not sure they are gonna pay that again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone happen to know what cable I should look for since I have the 14” factory apes? Can’t be the same as stock. Can it?

·
Silver member
4,572 Posts
Indian redesigned the lever arm in 2018 - 2019. The clutch lever arms cut into the cable as it slides through a slot where it connects. Pretty common to have the clutch cables snap at the lever.
Do you know if the lever arm is interchangeable with prior models?

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I have seen the older style at over 85,000 miles - original cable with no signs of wear and tear. Maybe some problems were present with the newer parts?

·
Registered
153 Posts
in 2014/2015 they had lots of clutch cable break so we changed out at only 1K miles to Barrnet's & I found the RM had lots of loose bolts & my Chieftain had every bolt over tighten & used red locktite that even the dealer broke off some bolt heads when I could not get the air filter off. The Chieftain had a wire loop clutch cable guide tighten so much it put a kink in the cable. So this cable sure would have snapped sooner than later.
So check the routing of your cable to see if the dealer put in some extra stress points.
After replacing the clutch cables, I noticed it took a lo less pressure to bring in the clutch & got ~45K mile & hear the new owner still has the same Barrnet cable with no noticeable wear.

·
Bronze member
4,689 Posts
Most clutch cable breaks happen at the lug in the lever. The reason is that this lug needs to slightly rotate on operation but if it's not lubed properly it doesn't rotate. That means the slight rotation has to be taken up by the cable wire itself bending. The trouble is, that lug is soldered onto the cable and if the cable bends close to the lug it stresses the soldered joint. Sooner or later it will give way.

This is a clutch emergency kit, one of many out there. It's designed for when the cable leaves you stranded somewhere. It's just an inner cable and an assortment of lugs that screw on instead of being soldered.
https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-Universal-Emergency-Motorcycle/dp/B014I4EKHW

1 - 20 of 29 Posts