Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I figured I'd just get this out there for others who may want to chime in or for those who are curious.

I bought my 2017 Chieftain new in Jan 2017 in White Smoke/chrome, and had the upgraded airbox, tune, and the Rush Warhorse 2.5in exhaust installed. I really liked it, the exhaust eventually opened up and tuned very nicely after a few thousand miles. I had no troubles other than a finicky fey fob and the dealer took care of that under warranty. I didn't use 90% of the electronics in the fairing, and the music was only really used during short trips in and round town (Sioux Falls, SD). It had plenty of power (torque!), and loved how I was accused by HD riders of tapping on the cruise as I left them behind going up hill. ;) After three riding seasons I only had 13k miles on it. My only complaint was the short windshield.

Enter the 2019 Springfield Darkhorse in White Smoke/blacked out... I had no issues with the 17 Chieftain, but I really liked the looks of the '19 Springfield with the open fender. The '20 Springfield I feel is a lesser bike, at least in my opinion, in styling and features (I like the front riding lights and the seperate brake/signal lights, plus I prefer the tank emblem on the '19 over the '20 as well). I felt the dealer in Sturgis did me right with trade in value, and pricing their last 2019 Springfield. I had them install the 14in flared windshield, mustache bars, rear highway bars, upgraded airbox, tune, and 3in Rush Warhorse pipes. I made the trade and off I went. I had forgotten how the fairing of the Chieftain really changes the weight and handling of the bike. The Springfield seems much lighter on the controls. The exhaust is slightly louder and already has that deeper tone I just earned with the 2.5in pipes on the Chieftain and I'm approaching 1000 miles in less than a week. :)

I loved my Chieftain but really love my Springfield. Wow. It seems more nimble and lighter in the hands. I like the simplicity of the information cluster. The tire pressure gauge and the RPM's are about all I reference on a regular basis. I do miss the actual RPM gauge of the Chieftain, but I'll make do with the digital readout on the Springfield. I switched the Ultimate seat I bought for the Chieftain over to the Springfield, I think the stock Indian seat sits me waaay too close. I get almost 2 more inches of room with the Ultimate seat (I'm 73 inches tall).

Cheers. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't blame you. The Springfield is my favorite bike from Indian. Sadly the one in my pic has been sold. I have every intention of getting a new Springfield soon when I get the opportunity though!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,842 Posts
At the demo event last month I liked the Springfield Dark Horse better than the Chieftain. The Chieftain felt awkward and top heavy compared to the Springfield. Granted it was a short demo ride but this was my impression.

·
Bronze member
3,355 Posts
I like the classic Springfield and almost went with that when I bought my Chieftain... been seriously considering trading in 21... three things have to happen... 1. the classic style needs to still be available 2. a new set of colors 3. the 116 in it.. I'm really not betting on any of those three right now...

·
Registered
320 Posts
I like the classic Springfield and almost went with that when I bought my Chieftain... been seriously considering trading in 21... three things have to happen... 1. the classic style needs to still be available 2. a new set of colors 3. the 116 in it.. I'm really not betting on any of those three right now...
I feel exactly the same!
Although I went with the Springfield in 2017, no hurry to change unless 116 and nice colour changes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
keep the 2017 and invest in the LIoydz 121 BBK!......result: You don't have to wait for a classic 116 Springfield! :)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,842 Posts
Or that new 120 cubic inch stroker kit. Something over $7300 I believe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts