Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had my 2017 Chieftain for about two weeks now. I got a call from the dealership, letting me know my plate was in. On my way, about 30 miles, something hit my right leg. I wasn't sure what it was and it didn't hurt me so I just continued. I arrived at the dealership and found out what hit my leg. The cover for the fog light on the right side had fallen off! I asked the parts guy at the dealership how much it was to replace. He told me $130! for a cover that measures about 4in square! The icing on the cake is that its not even available for another month! Frustrating as heck!

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
Well I have had my 2017 Chieftain for about two weeks now. I got a call from the dealership, letting me know my plate was in. On my way, about 30 miles, something hit my right leg. I wasn't sure what it was and it didn't hurt me so I just continued. I arrived at the dealership and found out what hit my leg. The cover for the fog light on the right side had fallen off! I asked the parts guy at the dealership how much it was to replace. He told me $130! for a cover that measures about 4in square! The icing on the cake is that its not even available for another month! Frustrating as heck!
WELCOME to the board!!

I've read about this previously, here is one thread. http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/wtf.102873/ and there are others out there as well. I believe most of these have been covered by warranty.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd say that's a warranty issue especially if it's only 2 weeks old! My last bike lost a fork reflector, bike still under warranty and I got it for free.

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope this little incident doesn't sour your experience with your Indian. I have had light bulbs replaced under warranty so a cover should be covered as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me just after I bought it. Dealer replaced it for free. Yours should too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Troll!

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
You're not Bwana6, are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Both of my covers fell off about two months after I bought my 2017 Chieftain. Both were replaced under warranty.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
You're not Bwana6, are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have always said I have my Indian is problem free and zero problems. My beef is with corporate customer service relations. Try to concentrate on the fact that Big Daddy is not the father you never knew and read what I do say. Thanks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well if the part on his bike falling off didn't give him a bad taste in his mouth your response sure will.

Sadly there are a few bottom feeders here.

My Chieftain was always very reliable and never had any issues with parts coming off but this does sound like something your dealer will take care of under warranty as others have suggested.

Reactions: IMARIDER

·
Bronze member
2,159 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new ride. But yes, take some time, some tools and go over as many nuts and bolts as you can. Loc-tite is your friend. And I agree that the dealer should comp you a free lens cover.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've had the left cover fall off twice .... Both times covered under warranty. Stuff happens.... Push the dealer for a warranty ... if they resist get ahold of Indian corporate. It is a common problem.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
One of my covers just didn't feel secure to me so I ordered some of the rubber grommets. Now I have to pry it off the bike.

Reactions: TN1WR

·
Bronze member
2,159 Posts
Better yet, go LED
20170611_173426.jpg

·
Bronze member
1,677 Posts
I noticed that they almost fall out unless you push the cover down, then it clicks. Removing it, slide the cover up first, then it comes right out. Mine almost fell out when I noticed it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts