Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,
I'm currently looking at purchasing a New to Me Chieftain. Here's where the Dilemma starts.
I originally wanted a Chieftain Dark Horse, but not a huge fan of the matte finish. Since this will be my first Street Bike I'm also weary of spending 30k on a new Bike. So I started looking all over the Country for leftover 19's. One problem I'm having is I need a 50 State Bike, (I bet You can Guess what State I live in)!
Anyhow to my point, I was set on a 2019 Chieftain limited but then found a 2017 Elite with less than 3000 miles on it for around 20K. My question to all the Experts is, is there a huge difference in the 2 Models? I know the Fairing has changed, you also get 3 ride modes with the 19. From the research I've done the engine and frame are still the same. Is 20K too much for a 2017 Elite? The bike is absolutely flawless and comes with some extras. Different seat, midrise handle bars and a few other goodies. The 19 Limited will be around 24k plus TTL.
I love the paint on the 17, but am worried about the special paintjob if I need any paint work done.

Thanks in advance for any opinions. View attachment 596075 View attachment 596075

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Indian upgraded the valve springs in 2019, so if you plan on doing upgrades it's easier to do on the 19+ bikes. However, I enjoy the looks of the older chieftains vs the newer ones and the paint scheme on the 17 elites is my personal favorite. So if making big power gains is high on your list the 19 is probably the better option.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You for the input Aran. Big HP is not my goal as of now, (but that's subject to change). If I did anything, I would do the Big Bore 116 Kit. The Color scheme on the 17 is my favorite too. I like the Burnt Orange on the 19 as well. I was all set to buy a 18 Street Glide Special in the Twisted Cherry color, until My Harley Riding Buddies said buy an Indian, they're a better Bike.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
370 Posts
I can't make this decision for ya, but add rear cylinder deactivation to the plus column for the 2019. You can't go wrong either way though.

·
Rider
1,569 Posts
19 also has the rear cylinder deactivation the 17 does not. As previously mentioned the 19 also has beefier valve springs and I wanna say they also changed or redesigned one other engine component but I can think of it for the life of me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I paid 20K for a new 2019 limited in Nov. 24K sounds high.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I mean may be a little biased but...
2017 has the classic bags and Fairing with limited front wheel with no warbonnet.I like this set up better except for the absence of the war bonnet which I have ordered and will be delivered next week.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
370 Posts
I paid 20K for a new 2019 limited in Nov. 24K sounds high.
I think you got in when Indian was running some end of season special discounts (November). it's prime riding season now, 24k is still almost 4k off the MSRP. Yeah if you decide to go with the 19, I'd try to get a bit more off, but they can't just give this bikes away and stay in business. Just something to think about

·
Bronze member
3,961 Posts
2017 Elite:
Running/Highway lights
Real Brake Pedal
All upgraded Pinnacle Floorboards and mirrors
Crash Bars
Better hard bags not as flimsy and stiff.
Real Metal handlebar switch cubes, 2018 and later went to cheap plastic

2019:
Ride modes
Rear cylinder deactivation
Cheaper fit and finish
no running lights
Stock floor boards
Stock mirros
Cheap flimsy hard bags

Look at both bikes very close, very close and the 2017 will be the winner.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hello All,
I'm currently looking at purchasing a New to Me Chieftain. Here's where the Dilemma starts.
I originally wanted a Chieftain Dark Horse, but not a huge fan of the matte finish. Since this will be my first Street Bike I'm also weary of spending 30k on a new Bike. So I started looking all over the Country for leftover 19's. One problem I'm having is I need a 50 State Bike, (I bet You can Guess what State I live in)!
Anyhow to my point, I was set on a 2019 Chieftain limited but then found a 2017 Elite with less than 3000 miles on it for around 20K. My question to all the Experts is, is there a huge difference in the 2 Models? I know the Fairing has changed, you also get 3 ride modes with the 19. From the research I've done the engine and frame are still the same. Is 20K too much for a 2017 Elite? The bike is absolutely flawless and comes with some extras. Different seat, midrise handle bars and a few other goodies. The 19 Limited will be around 24k plus TTL.
I love the paint on the 17, but am worried about the special paintjob if I need any paint work done.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
You cannot go wrong with either. With that out of the way the valve spring upgrade totally unnecessary unless you're going 116 BBK or changing cams to the Lloyds 585s. I have Limited with all custom paint and when you gain the inevitable rock chip it does get 'spendy' to keep her perfect so guessing the Elite would be same type of circumstance. I ride with many folks on Indians of all styles and types and the 2019/20 Chieftain folks stay in Touring mode nearly all the time using the mode changes nearly 'not at all' just the word here. Buy the one you cannot quit looking back at when you park and you've won! Good luck and safe riding.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I mean may be a little biased but... View attachment 594481 2017 has the classic bags and Fairing with limited front wheel with no warbonnet.I like this set up better except for the absence of the war bonnet which I have ordered and will be delivered next week.
I too prefer the Classic look with bags and fairing that screams INDIAN. The only thing I cannot live without is the Classic fender and war bonnet. A MUST FOR ME. Everyone has a style they prefer and there is no right or wrong answer just know as long as you ride INDIAN you ride the best!

·
Rider
1,569 Posts
Personally I prefer the Classic look with the flared fender with the Indian on the top of the fender over the Chief glide look. If I bought a newer bagger it would be the Challenger period. If I did however get a Chieftan aka chief glide I would purchase the updated Challenger Indian ornament and have it put on. If it’s anything bigger than a scout it needs a Indian on the fender.

·
Silver member
4,856 Posts
2019... In addition to upgraded valve springs, I believe there was also a piston change that included longer piston skirts. Supposedly to take care of piston slap aka clacking that some pre 2019 111s have. I could be wrong about this but/so maybe one of the better informed members would comment on this.

·
Bronze member
3,355 Posts
The piston change was in 18... but the 19 received the new better flowing heads along with the valve springs for some reason also went to 6qts of oil instead of 5.5

Reactions: WillyH

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! Thank You for all of the input, it’s greatly appreciated! As of now performance isn’t an issue, as I won’t be putting a ton of miles on it.
As Goindian stated, buy the one you cannot quit looking at, that one for me is the 17 Elite, (not to take anything away from the 19 colors ) The Paint on the 17 looks likes it’s wet And dripping off. I love Red too, so that’s a bonus. Out here in California anything that has a motor in it, is Blk, Wht or silver/Gray Hard to find anything with bright Colors in it.

Thank You all again,

Rob

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
My vote also is for the ‘17 Elite...although I am also biased. So many compliments and can find my bike in the crowd. The paint alone sold me. I have added the BBK and now it is pretty much perfect for me. Good luck and either way you are riding!

80FC8CEC-5738-460E-B91F-7A5036ADE023.jpeg

·
Registered
88 Posts
You won't go wrong with either of those bikes. Personally, I like the 2019 faring and saddle bags versus the classic style. I was able to get a great deal on a '19 Chieftain Limited in December, and can't say enough good things about the bike. Like a previous post said . . . look hard at each bike, and go with the one you like best.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts